Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season | Golden Skate

Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, after starting a "catch-all" thread for coaching changes, it seemed appropriate to do one for retirements as well.

Obviously, we knew that Pang Qing and Tong Jian competing in Worlds was just a one-off because it was in their home country, and they have now gone back into retirement.

Also, as has already been discussed in various places on the forum, three prominant Japanese skaters – Fumie Suguri, Daisuke Takahashi and Tatsuki Machida – announced their immediate retirements during this season.

A few days ago, LuisRollerArg started a thread telling us that Sweden's Viktoria Helgesson has decided to retire.

The story that prompted me to start this thread, though, was the surprising announcement that 19 year old Eveline Brunner (SUI) has announced her retirement.

Announcement on Swiss Federation's website (in German):

http://www.swissiceskating.ch/de/ku...line-brunner-tritt-vom-wettkampfsport-zurueck

Originally from Pittsburg, PA, Eveline Brunner has been competing for Switzerland for at least 3 seasons (that's as far back as her ISU Bio goes!)

Eveline had never come up on my radar before this season. The first time I came across her was when she won the Swiss Championships in December. This gained her a ticket to Europeans, where she was 14th, and Worlds, where she was 33rd.

According to the story with the announcement, despite not doing as well as she would have liked, she enjoyed the experiences.

Now that she has finished her education, she has decided to take a gap year, and is going to stay on in China for a few months.

I wish her all the best for whatever the future holds

CaroLiza_fan

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ice Dancers Zhiganshina/Gazsi are retiring. Worlds was supposed to be their last competition, but it wasn't meant to be. :no: They had to WD.

Eveline Brunner is retiring?! I just noticed her this year, and found her skating quite beautiful. I hope it's not injuries...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Eveline isn't injured, she is going to take her Matura in July (exit exams, I guess...I'm sure a European can explain better), take a gap year and move to Shanghai for awhile to improve her second language skills. She doesn't want to compete any more but it seems she will still do some shows.

I am curious about Kozuka and Abbott...will they be back?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I'm wondering about Kanako, as well :think::cry:

I did saw a video where she said that she is planning to retire soon.....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ice Dancers Zhiganshina/Gazsi are retiring. Worlds was supposed to be their last competition, but it wasn't meant to be. :no: They had to WD.

I have to be honest, I was holding off on mentioning Nelli and Alex. With everything about their performances being so dramatic, I can't imagine them wanting to sign off with a withdrawal.

I just have that gut feeling that they will do one last competition, just so that they can go out with a bang.

Eveline Brunner is retiring?! I just noticed her this year, and found her skating quite beautiful. I hope it's not injuries...

I know, my reaction was the same - shocked that this young skater that had only just appeared on our radar was calling it a day. Which is why I felt compelled to start this thread.

From what I have picked up in the announcement, it's nothing to do with injuries. She just wants to have new experiences and try different things in her life.

Although it's disappointing for those of us that wanted to see her grow as a skater, you can't blame her for that. :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Eveline isn't injured, she is going to take her Matura in July (exit exams, I guess...I'm sure a European can explain better), take a gap year and move to Shanghai for awhile to improve her second language skills. She doesn't want to compete any more but it seems she will still do some shows.

I am curious about Kozuka and Abbott...will they be back?

Thanks for answering that question about Eveline. I probably should have made things clearer in my original post, but thought I had written too much about her already! :laugh:

Put it like this, I would hope that Kozuka and Abbott would be back!

Japan can't afford to lose any more of their top Men's skaters. Although the youngsters are promising, I don't think they are ready to take up the mantle yet.

I'm wondering about Kanako, as well :think::cry:

I did saw a video where she said that she is planning to retire soon.....

I know she was threatening to retire last season, and in the end didn't. But I haven't heard any more rumours since then.

Was this a recent video, or maybe one from last season?

Given how strong Sokoto Miyahara, Rika Hongo and Wakaba Higuchi are looking at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Kanako was reconsidering her decision to stay on.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Flaya

Match Penalty
Eveline Brunner won the Swiss Championships but has lower TES scores than Anna Ovcharova.

Add to that Matilde GIANOCCA and Tanja ODERMATT being right below her in TES and you literally have a four way tie for that top spot!

Swiss skaters seem to retire early, as example Tina STUERZINGER is no longer competing either.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Isn't Jeremy Ten retiring as well? And Justus Strid.

I don't think there's been a formal announcement about J10, but it was my understanding that this was to be his final season. And the way he and Joanne MacLeod were behaving at Worlds just had that "final performance" feel about it.

Haven't a clue about Justus. I haven't heard anything, anyway. But, then again, I haven't heard any news about him for donkey's years! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he even had said it was his last nationals ... probably thinking that reynolds or balde would outskate him...or even firus... (let's assume everyone knew nguyen would be on top)... so he got an extra trip to the WC and now WTT but I think that's it for him now... hopefully he gets good skates there. I always liked his ease and flow on the ice... but we should have our great Patrick Chan back next year :)
I don't think there's been a formal announcement about J10, but it was my understanding that this was to be his final season. And the way he and Joanne MacLeod were behaving at Worlds just had that "final performance" feel about it.

Haven't a clue about Justus. I haven't heard anything, anyway. But, then again, I haven't heard any news about him for donkey's years! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Oh now, no P Chiddy. ;)

Let him retire, let him retire.

He wants another World Title. I don't know if he will stay through the whole Olympic cicle but it's pretty certain he'll be back next season. I'm actually looking forward to that, Patrick vs. Yuzuru vs. Denis vs. Javier? Sounds pretty exciting to me.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
He wants another World Title. I don't know if he will stay through the whole Olympic cicle but it's pretty certain he'll be back next season. I'm actually looking forward to that, Patrick vs. Yuzuru vs. Denis vs. Javier? Sounds pretty exciting to me.

Same. Best part of the upcoming season, imo :popcorn:

andromache

Record Breaker
That's his goal.

He also wants ten National Championship titles. He has 7 so far.

Ten might be tough for Patrick with Nam coming up! I like both skaters and although at the moment I enjoy Patrick's skating more than Nam's, in a year or two Nam may very well be able to beat Patrick. Earning three more National titles won't be a given for Patrick, which is great, as it will push both skaters to do their best.

Wondering if we'll hear official retirements from D/W and V/M anytime soon. I really love both teams and both are possibly the best ever in ice dance, but the field is almost more interesting without them competing as it is more unpredictable! I'll be happy with whatever decision those teams make.

Mao is another we are waiting to hear a retirement decision from. I'd love to see her competing again, although I respect her decision if she chooses not to. She's given us years of great competitive skating and possibly has more in her, but winning Worlds in 2014 (not to mention having THE skating of Sochi) is an amazing note to go out on.

noskates

Record Breaker
I talked to Patrick at SOI last Sunday. He was joking around and said "if I choose to not compete!" I said "Patrick, what are you talking about IF you choose to not compete!" And he just laughed. I don't think he would have been joking about it if he really was going to retire. I told him he had to go to Boston because I was going to be there. He said "welllll......" I had the sense he was just teasing us. In the warmups he was throwing triple axels like they were nothing. He looked really good, in great shape. All of his jumps had those smooth landings and were effortless. He didn't do a quad, but then it was a show program.

peg

Medalist
Ten might be tough for Patrick with Nam coming up! I like both skaters and although at the moment I enjoy Patrick's skating more than Nam's, in a year or two Nam may very well be able to beat Patrick. Earning three more National titles won't be a given for Patrick, which is great, as it will push both skaters to do their best.

It's going to be a tighter battle for sure in a couple of years. But him saying he wants ten National championship titles is really more about him setting a goal rather than a guarantee of winning. And yes, I think they will push each other - although right now I think Yuzu and Javi are also pushing Nam to improve so quickly.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nam has quite a ways to go before he'd be a threat to Hanyu and Fernandez. With a quad, Nam couldn't even beat Jason Brown without a quad because he is slow, a little stiff, and he lacks the audience connection the men who beat him at Worlds have.