Plushenko intends to restart career | Golden Skate

Plushenko intends to restart career

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can I go to bed and sleep, then wake up to realize this is just some trolling article?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
:unsure:

From one point of view it will be entertaining, but from another one, he will be just blocking place for younger skaters like Pitkeev to take part at Europeans and Worlds

LRK

Record Breaker
"However, Plushenko withdrew from the individual Olympics competition after his pre-short program warm up on 13 February 2014 and announced later that he would be subsequently retiring from competitive skating due to a back injury. "

That is essentially correct - except he un-retired himself a few days later; and has been making sporadic mentions of going for 2018 since; though that he intends to aim for as early as Euros' 2016 is indeed news.

noskates

Record Breaker
Please tell me this is a joke! This man needs to find a life outside of punishing his body.

moriel

Record Breaker
If young ones lose to him (plushy is great, but srsly, at this point...), well deserved they don´t get the spots.
I don´t think he is soooooo loved by russian fed, not after Sochi (its probably better to send kovtun/voronov that will get a 7th place lets say, than a plushy that will WD)

UPD: sounds like serious, as most russian journals featured those news already

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
As much as I like Plushenko, I want Elizaveta to be Mishin's no. 1 priority.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh god, this is honestly just insanity at this point. It is worse than Fumie, because even though he is *potentially* still at a competitive level with the Russian men, he has already sustained SO MANY injuries that the risk to him from doing what it will take to be competitive has to be just absolutely enormous. I cannot believe there is a medical professional ON EARTH who would not tell him to stop. I sincerely think (and I do not mean this in an offensive way at all, I truly mean it in the best way possible) that he should consult with a therapist about why he feels compelled to keep competing despite the enormous risk to is present and future health. It is a smaller step from repeated back injuries/surgeries to can't walk anymore than he seems to realize.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well, Plushenko is the Michael Schumacher of Figure Skating. People made fun of him when he got back, but now he is really missed.

Good luck to him.

caitie

Medalist
Besides his myriad injuries, he really never mastered the COP like the younger skaters who have skated under it their whole careers. I don't think he'll be pleased with his results. I wish he'd throw his energy into creating a yearly professional competition in Russia instead.

andromache

Record Breaker
How can he come back when he already did a best-of-himself program?? What else is left for him to do? ;)

He has an undeniable presence and charisma on the ice and may be competitive against Kovtun and Voronov when he's actually able to compete. I don't think he has a shot against Javier, Yuzuru, Denis, etc, but if he does come back to competition I'll be eager to see it just because he is a such a legend. That said, I don't think his body will hold up and I'm very skeptical.

Naya

On the Ice
I don't know what to think about this. Age is not the main point, but his injuries. Ok, despite all the talk about how severe Plush's injuries are, only doctors know what is happening and could happen with his body if he keep competing. Anyaway, I can't believe he still want to training several hours per day after what happened in Sochi. He should take that as a serious alarm from his body. I also wonder how those politicians and others who criticized his withdraw will react. Plush will need very good results to regain support.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Oh god, this is honestly just insanity at this point. It is worse than Fumie, because even though he is *potentially* still at a competitive level with the Russian men, he has already sustained SO MANY injuries that the risk to him from doing what it will take to be competitive has to be just absolutely enormous. I cannot believe there is a medical professional ON EARTH who would not tell him to stop. I sincerely think (and I do not mean this in an offensive way at all, I truly mean it in the best way possible) that he should consult with a therapist about why he feels compelled to keep competing despite the enormous risk to is present and future health. It is a smaller step from repeated back injuries/surgeries to can't walk anymore than he seems to realize.

I agree with this completely and hope others can see that not everyone who "should" talk to a therapist is nuts, some just could stand to work some crap out. Maybe he really does miss it. A therapist might be able to help him set more realistic goals to get to enjoy it but not kill himself. Maybe there are things that he keeps saying he has always wanted to do with skating, and maybe a therapist could get him to see that he should do those things even if they are not the most strategic, but then be with the results and be happy with him doing what he always wanted to. I think talking to someone about the why might really help him to have the season he wants if he is hell bent on coming back.

sses1

On the Ice
What's the point of coming back? He's had the most successful career of any male figure skater, what more does he need and why take away the experience of competing from younger skaters who actually need it? Not to mention his choreo and step sequences are still stuck in 6.0 land, he doesn't have what it takes to compete with the top 3 men. I'm not discounting his talent but the reality is that times have changed and there are new skaters on the horizon.

Last edited: