Plushenko intends to restart career | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Plushenko intends to restart career

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Michael Schumacher was already a seven-times World Champion when he came back to Formula 1 at the age of 43 (very ancient for an F1 driver). He had accomplished so much. But he could not live without racing. I think the same is true for Plushy. The ice is so much a part of him, he can never leave it, and his spirit is that of a champion, who will always be competitive.
True. He knew the risk he was taking, he was about 41 when he made his comeback and about 43 when he retired the second time. And he did motorcycle racing in between.
Anyway, Schumacher's skiing accident in 2013 was a reminder that life is dangerous and serious injuries can happen anywhere and anytime.
At least we know that the injuries that could possibly happen to Plushenko while skating aren't going to be life-threatening.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Voronov is trully a great person. He seems to be friends with everyone and he always congratulates people very warmly for their success! I am really happy the public loves him because he deserves it!

As for Plushy, if his body holds up, he can win Euro and GP medals for sure. And worlds, who knows? Most of the top skaters are pretty inconsistent so you never know!! But I still think that if he goes for the 2018 olympics, his focus will be more on breaking record of attendance and on the team event.

Yes, it was nicely and especially it was wisely put. On the other hand no-one knows what he or other Russian guys really think of Plushenko´s possible comeback :laugh2:

Have the rules changed and participating at the team event will not mean anymore one has to compete at the singles event as well?

Last edited:

Noolan

On the Ice
Not sure how real this is. Mishin seems to be starting a sort of PR campaign in order to increase the funding to his school. Not sure this "comeback" isn't just a PR move orchestrated by Mishin. They don't call him "professor" for nothing :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure how real this is. Mishin seems to be starting a sort of PR campaign in order to increase the funding to his school. Not sure this "comeback" isn't just a PR move orchestrated by Mishin. They don't call him "professor" for nothing :laugh:
Didn't the exact same thing happen last season around the same time. I'm pretty sure stories were coming out that Plushy was going to compete in this last season. I'd love to see him skating again though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
See, with Fumie continuing to stay competitive, that's one thing since it's not at the cost of her body and she wouldn't withhold opportunities for other Japanese skaters.

In Plushenko's case, he generates HUGE interest in the sport in Russia and you can imagine the organizers of Cup of Russia would be salivating.

On the other hand, his individual competition controversy in Sochi wasn't exactly the best way to end an otherwise illustrious career.

This is Volvo open protocol November 2013
http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22th/ISU/SeniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf
Quad and triple axels and lutz and one doubled salchow

:laugh: @ Judge #6, :bow: @ Judge #2. That's another thing -- international judges are on to him, and now that Hanyu, Ten and Fernandez are pulling high PCS scores and Chan might possibly return, he will have his work cut out for him to even place in the top 5.

He should really bow out gracefully. If he wants to compete, he should consider competitions like Japan Open and the like. Right now he has nothing more to prove. Although he could simply be of the mindset that he wants to compete because he really likes to.

One thing though: I hope if he does return he doesn't just show up in the Olympic year. He should at least compete in the season prior to the Olympics and if he's indeed still one of the better Russian men, he should go to Worlds to compete for Pyeongchang spots. None of this closed test skate B-S.

I still think he's capable of being competitive, but as mentioned, the rest of the field has simply gotten too good, and his body has deteriorated to a point where he can't do clean programs anymore along with the demands of CoP.

Meoima

Match Penalty
CanadianSkaterGuy, you haven't heard? Furmie retired and she is studying choreography.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
CanadianSkaterGuy, you haven't heard? Furmie retired and she is studying choreography.

Huh? I thought poor Fumie's stated goal is Olympic goal is GOLD in 2018. She's like herpes. She'll always spring up when you least expect it. Poor Fumie.... lol

plushyta

On the Ice
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/798450
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ni-Plushenko&p=1151152&viewfull=1#post1151152

Alexei Mishin: Plushenko practically healthy

Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko did not need special counseling physicians.

- We agreed to meet on April 21 because I just returned from Tokyo, where competitions are held the World Team Championship - TASS reported skater coach Alexei Mishin. - The challenge now is to assess the actual state of Eugene, before the work plan. But a special medical examination is not required, Plushenko almost healthy.

Recall, 31-year-old skater had surgery on the spine after the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. Because of back pain athlete withdrew from the Men's Singles tournament. April 17 Plushenko made a statement on the resumption of a career.

mnm464

On the Ice
Isn't there a saying that says you're only as your last skate? Anyways, I can see his point on wanting to do better than a WD, so good for him. I guess no one can stop him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Guys, just let him go for 2018. If not, he'll try again in 2022.

As long as he earns it and it doesn't come at the expense of another skater(s). The worst would be if he got sent on some closed test-skate, bombed the team event, but still got a de facto medal.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
As long as he earns it and it doesn't come at the expense of another skater(s). The worst would be if he got sent on some closed test-skate, bombed the team event, but still got a de facto medal.
This is very unlikely. If his form isn't good he won't compete and when he is in form he won't bomb.

Naya

On the Ice
I am not against the return of Plushenko , but if he wants to skate in the Olympics 2018 I expect him to compete in major tournaments in the coming seasons and helps Russia to achieve 3 spots for the Olympics. It will be very unfair if Voronov, Kovtun or any other get the spots and Plushenko just returned in the olympic season, taking one of the spots and denying opportunity to those who really competed in the previous seasons.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am not against the return of Plushenko , but if he wants to skate in the Olympics 2018 I expect him to compete in major tournaments in the coming seasons and helps Russia to achieve 3 spots for the Olympics. It will be very unfair if Voronov, Kovtun or any other get the spots and Plushenko just returned in the olympic season, taking one of the spots and denying opportunity to those who really competed in the previous seasons.

Watch Russia play France's ice dance game and send only Plushenko to 2017 worlds to try to get three spots that way.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

He has said that is his plan.

It is not Plushenko's fault that Kovtun failed in his only task at Worlds 2013.

jace93

On the Ice

It's not Kovtun fault that both Gachinski and Voronov imploded the year before... honestly I can't stand Kovtun and the Russian Fed has done some quite questionable decision regarding his career and his assignment, but heck will he always be known as the skater that lost two spot at 2013 world's? It has been 2 years already, you should've let it go by now...

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And it's not Kovtun fault that Gachinski and Voronov failed to keep two spots the year prior. No matter how hard you try, this is not all Kovtun fault.