2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well he did great work with the Shibs ex. Maybe his choreography just doesn't mesh well with Max or Adelina for that matter although I did like her Olympic season exhibition.

And K/S's brilliant Manfred Symphony...it will be hard to top that one.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Gracie posted on her ins 5 days ago a photo with Mom on mother's day. and she write "have courage, and be kind". Will she skate to 2015 Cinderella soundtrack and become the ultimate Disney princess everybody will love:biggrin:
https://instagram.com/p/2hDGDpLAgT/?taken-by=graciegold95

EDIT:
This is cinderella theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1N8rlkKGo
a slow waltz, totally skatable. I would imagine something abstract, with strength and kindness and sunny, brilliant smile with a little bit of modern touch. Gracie has a very nice athletic image and loves strong arm emoticon and actually very nice to fans off-ice and her smile:biggrin:
and when think about it
Dai's the crisis and Jeremy's exogenesis come into my mind.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Gracie posted on her ins 5 days ago a photo with Mom on mother's day. and she write "have courage, and be kind". Will she skate to 2015 Cinderella soundtrack and become the ultimate Disney princess everybody will love:biggrin:

EDIT:
a slow waltz, totally skatable. I would imagine something abstract, with strength and kindness and sunny, brilliant smile with a little bit of modern touch. Gracie has a very nice athletic image and loves strong arm emoticon and actually very nice to fans off-ice and her smile:biggrin:
and when think about it

If Gracie skate Cinderella at 20 years old I imagine all people who hated to Polina skating Tinker bell at 16 yo will be crazy. Or maybe those comments only apply to Polina because Gracie already skated Let it go :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, it is as expected. And, besides, the judges seem to approve of these programs - so why should they chnge? (shrug) Pity.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Gracie skate Cinderella at 20 years old I imagine all people who hated to Polina skating Tinker bell at 16 yo will be crazy. Or maybe those comments only apply to Polina because Gracie already skated Let it go :eek:hwell:

I actually liked Polina's Tinkerbell (How is that a misspelling autocorrect? Tinkerbell is a classic Disney character!) FP!

Layback11

Record Breaker
I actually liked Polina's Tinkerbell (How is that a misspelling autocorrect? Tinkerbell is a classic Disney character!) FP!

So did I. The dress was a bit much (I love pink, but she went a little crazy with the ruffles and wings-the skirt was great though), but it seemed to suit her, so I'm okay with it. I know everybody thinks she needs to grow up, but if that's what she likes, who are we to try to force her into a style she doesn't like?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So did I. The dress was a bit much (I love pink, but she went a little crazy with the ruffles and wings-the skirt was great though), but it seemed to suit her, so I'm okay with it. I know everybody thinks she needs to grow up, but if that's what she likes, who are we to try to force her into a style she doesn't like?

Exactly! Are people saying we should grow up and not love Disney anymore? Because we're adults?! Besides I'm not even sure if the songs she used was from the Disney movie or from the Broadway musical.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Can I say I love Disney princess very much:eek:: I love love the 2015 cinderella movie, I don't mind skater skate to Disney at all. What is wrong to portrait a Disney princess such as Cinderella. And I like Polina's tinker bell a lot, one of the few performances I went back to watch this season.

dna5019

Final Flight
Exactly! Are people saying we should grow up and not love Disney anymore? Because we're adults?! Besides I'm not even sure if the songs she used was from the Disney movie or from the Broadway musical.

You're right: the songs were definitely not Disney. They were from James Newton Howard's score for the Peter Pan movie released back in 2003. :) And for what it's worth, I enjoyed her full program as well (though I'm also not a fan of the dress, but that might just be because I was never a fan of pink :p ).

Last edited:

TrishaG

Rinkside

I respect that there are some who liked her program. I admit, I did not. Basically, I had two separate issues with Polina's LP.

First, I thought the music was monotonous and it made the program boring. It didn't build at the end (or at all really), so it just kind of stopped. That isn't impactful and doesn't leave a strong impression with the judges. There just wasn't anything memorable about the program for me. I think adding some different music cuts would have helped, especially one that had more swells and perhaps a faster tempo for the end. This would have presented an opportunity to expand her movements, to open up at the end and show greater diversity of expression, movement, and mood. Those who enjoyed her program seem to have enjoyed the quiet subtlety. For me, it was so quiet and subtle that it failed to entertain or really even hold my attention. Subtlety isn't a bad thing, but it needs to captivate also. I wasn't captivated.

Second, I had a huge problem with the costume. It was so babyish for her age that it was distracting. The skater's appearance should enhance a program, not detract from it. To me, her appearance detracted. She is welcome to dress in whatever style she chooses, but in a judged sport, her choices will be evaluated. If her choices aren't well received and she doesn't adjust, then she's probably leaving a few points on the table. In this case, the packaging of her program did her no favors. I don't think the braid thing she does with her hair is very flattering. She looked far better in her short program with her hair in a bun. I like the idea of fairy wings on the back of her costume, but not how it was executed. The ruffles around the neck line were awful. I think elbow-length or long sleeves are typically a good idea for Polina, but these somehow didn't work. I think using nude mesh sleeves with swirling rhinestone patterns would have been better. The rhinestones would call to mind pixie dust and I think would have kept the costume from looking so babyish, especially without the neck ruffle.

It's not the Tinkerbell concept of Polina's program that I mind, it was the program itself and her packaging. If Gracie does a Cinderella program, that's fine with me - as long as the music choices and choreography complement her strengths and abilities rather than reveal her weaknesses as I feel her POTO program did for most of the season. Her inappropriate grinning at least improved, thank goodness. I'm an adult and I love Disney movies...plenty of adults do. I don't think the issue is with a Disney theme being too young or juvenile. The issue is with if the concept, music, and choreography suit particular skaters or not. After all, Duhamel and Radford skated to Alice in Wonderland for their 2013-14 LP. I don't remember anyone criticizing their choice because they were too old for Alice in Wonderland.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
the part I thought that is memorable about Polina's tinker bell. her step sequence ending with her signature long twizzle, coupled with that crystal like music texture. and her change direction spiral with swelling but also serene flute music texture. and her spins and ending pose. All those are highlights for me, there is definite variation of music all within that theme that she is portraying which is a fairy wonderland. IMO it is not monotone, but appropriate for the theme. put in sharp contrast of music cut to create variety maybe out of context. That is my problem with Gracie's SP, the purpose of her dramatic later half is obviously to showcase her range, but somehow I felt it is abrupt...
Polina's costume however is not the best but okay for me, I love PINK:eek::, could use a better design. and her execution, most part is innate for her natural skating quality (really fairy is perfect for her, cannot think of anyone else), but some places indeed could be more polished.
Hope I didnot hijack this thread :biggrin:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the part I thought that is memorable about Polina's tinker bell. her step sequence ending with her signature long twizzle, coupled with that crystal like music texture. and her change direction spiral with swelling but also serene flute music texture. and her spins and ending pose. All those are highlights for me, there is definite variation of music all within that theme that she is portraying which is a fairy wonderland. IMO it is not monotone, but appropriate for the theme. put in sharp contrast of music cut to create variety maybe out of context. That is my problem with Gracie's SP, the purpose of her dramatic later half is obviously to showcase her range, but somehow I felt it is abrupt...
Polina's costume however is not the best but okay for me, I love PINK:eek::, could use a better design. and her execution, most part is innate for her natural skating quality (really fairy is perfect for her, cannot think of anyone else), but some places indeed could be more polished.

The skirt could have been a little longer in my opinion. But I loved the ombre effect the pink had.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Isabella Tobias & Ilya Tkachenko ISR
SD Cinderella movie soundtrack
FD Polovtsian Dances

They announced this on social media.

TrishaG

Rinkside

Fair enough. I prefer music that has more oomph, whether that be emotion, intensity, power, or just attitude. It doesn't have to be angsty, it can be fun and energetic, too. I just like substance. I get bored by music that is very even, low-key, subtle, pretty without substance. For me, the Peter Pan music was pretty without substance. So, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I respect that you enjoyed it though.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

EDIT:
and when think about it
I hope not. Firstly, because I don't really like the music (first half = boring, second half = kinda annoying). Secondly, because I don't think it suits Gracie. She'd be better suited to something stronger, with more rhythm. Something that makes her come alive.

I'm not anti-princesses or anti-everything-girly, but I'm struggling to wrap my head around how this particular piece of music will fit Gracie.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen choreographers:

SP: David Wilson
FS: Buttle

Don't know if they already were known, but Nam gave them as answers in an impromptu Twitter chat today:

Mirai Nagasu SP:
A cover of Imagine Dragons' "Demons."
https://twitter.com/SantaFeSC/status/599675739357585408

As noted in Mirai's fan thread:

Last edited: