2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It does seem as though that's the case...glad to see he has found something he seems to enjoying doing with skating outside of competition! He will have something to fall back on if he doesn't get that world medal that has eluded him thus far...

Update:
Sho Omori said outright on Instagram that his SP choreographer indeed is Jeremy Abbott.​

And Sho has high praise for Jeremy:
sho_omori
My new short program this year is being choreographed by Jeremy Abbott! In our first lesson, he's already taught me so many things that I've never heard before. The last few months working with my coaches in LA along with my other mentors have really helped me to understand how much skating truly is your own art form that can always evolve in every direction. Working with Jeremy has been no exception to this as he tells me how to make world-class corrections and technique improvements. The way he sees skating and the way he skates himself is truly an art form too so to learn from him has been the best experience!
https://instagram.com/p/134XDrhUUW/ (Apr 25)​

via @fsonline

Weathergal

Medalist
Update:
Sho Omori said outright on Instagram that his SP choreographer indeed is Jeremy Abbott.​

And Sho has high praise for Jeremy:
sho_omori
My new short program this year is being choreographed by Jeremy Abbott! In our first lesson, he's already taught me so many things that I've never heard before. The last few months working with my coaches in LA along with my other mentors have really helped me to understand how much skating truly is your own art form that can always evolve in every direction. Working with Jeremy has been no exception to this as he tells me how to make world-class corrections and technique improvements. The way he sees skating and the way he skates himself is truly an art form too so to learn from him has been the best experience!
https://instagram.com/p/134XDrhUUW/ (Apr 25)​

via @fsonline

Wow, how articulate and gracious! Looking forward to the program already.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Buttle choreo:

This coming season, Buttle will help Farris and Adam Rippon with their free skates and also plans to collaborate with Michal Březina and several skaters from Japan, including assisting world silver medalist Satoko Miyahara with her exhibition routine.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/04/27/120813286

The wording implies to me that Josh and Adam will draw upon their own choreo experience as well as Buttle's -- but it's not really clear.

owl

On the Ice
Re Buttle choreo:

This coming season, Buttle will help Farris and Adam Rippon with their free skates and also plans to collaborate with Michal Březina and several skaters from Japan, including assisting world silver medalist Satoko Miyahara with her exhibition routine.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/04/27/120813286

The wording implies to me that Josh and Adam will draw upon their own choreo experience as well as Buttle's -- but it's not really clear.

Love his choreography. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next :)

Pika

Final Flight
Ashley Wagner said at Stars on Ice she will keep her Moulin Rouge program ! (info from Worlds2016's twitter account)

Trewyn

Medalist
Keep a program? I remember Ashley said she always avoided doing that because you get sick of a program after a season. She kept her 2009-2010 short program for the next season and it didn't work out well at all. I like Moulin Rouge a lot but it's interesting to see skaters come up with new stuff!

Lenny318

On the Ice
Keep a program? I remember Ashley said she always avoided doing that because you get sick of a program after a season. She kept her 2009-2010 short program for the next season and it didn't work out well at all. I like Moulin Rouge a lot but it's interesting to see skaters come up with new stuff!

I agree, I am a little bummed she's keeping the program for this reason.

Does keeping a program look bad in the eyes of the judges? It's not as though she got injured and/or didn't get to skate it to its potential or in many competitions.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner said at Stars on Ice she will keep her Moulin Rouge program ! (info from Worlds2016's twitter account)

I feel like she's already skated this program to it's potential, she's given many great performances, I've grown out of it, I think it's a bad move

andromache

Record Breaker
Love Ashley's Moulin Rouge, but I agree that I think she's performed it to its potential--I'm not sure if there's room for growth. Her best performance was at Nationals, and it has also been very well-skated at some international events.

On the other hand, if she intends to keep working on improving the technical aspects, it might be better to do so within a program that she loves and is comfortable with (as Josh Farris is doing by keeping his SP). Maybe we will see more transitions in her LP this season as well.

Is it bad that I'm concerned about her costume? Love her dress for this program, but I like seeing new costumes from year to year as well. I wonder if she'll get a new dress even though her current one is perfect for this program as is.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
On the other hand, if she intends to keep working on improving the technical aspects, it might be better to do so within a program that she loves and is comfortable with (as Josh Farris is doing by keeping his SP). Maybe we will see more transitions in her LP this season as well.

I agree, I would guess that she wants to focus on continuing to improve technically and keeping Moulin Rouge gives her a lot of extra time to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if she adds a lot more details and transitions to the program - one of the main criticisms of it this year was that it was empty choreographically.

Edited for terrible grammar

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I see a case for keeping it technically. And you can always rechoregraph and freshen it up.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I agree, I would guess that she wants to focus on continuing to improve technically and keeping Moulin Rouge gives her a lot of extra time to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if she adds a lot more details and transitions to the program - one of the main criticism of it this year were that it was empty choreographically.

This is why I bet she's keeping it. She wants both of those 3-3's (ok, one 3-3 and one 3-1-3) ratified and it's easier to do that when you're skating a comfortable and familiar program.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm never a fan of skaters keeping the same program for consecutive years (unless they didn't get a chance to use it very much)... now imagining another full season of Moulin Rouge... :slink:

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I understand the strategy and practicality of this, but I'm disappointed. I feel like that program already had a moment. I can't imagine her skating to it at Nationals and Worlds next year and having it be exciting. Adding transitions to the program won't change that for me personally. PLUS, it sounds like she is doing MORE competitions (Senior Bs) next year, I can't imagine how I will feel about the program by the end of next season. We've already seen it through the Japan Open, 2 Grand Prixs, the Grand Prix final, Nationals, Worlds, and World Team trophy. I feel like skaters should be rewarded for doing something new each year. I understand that she changed and added to her layout as the season progressed, but I wish that she would just turn Moulin Rouge into an exhibition program and get 2 new programs for next year.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I understand the strategy and practicality of this, but I'm disappointed. I feel like that program already had a moment. I can't imagine her skating to it at Nationals and Worlds next year and having it be exciting. Adding transitions to the program won't change that for me personally. PLUS, it sounds like she is doing MORE competitions (Senior Bs) next year, I can't imagine how I will feel about the program by the end of next season. We've already seen it through the Japan Open, 2 Grand Prixs, the Grand Prix final, Nationals, Worlds, and World Team trophy. I feel like skaters should be rewarded for doing something new each year. I understand that she changed and added to her layout as the season progressed, but I wish that she would just turn Moulin Rouge into an exhibition program and get 2 new programs for next year.

Having seen one of her peak moments with this program-nationals-I couldn't agree more. Having to skate that program at the events where she brought down the house with it this year (GPF if she makes it, nationals, worlds) would, I imagine, be extremely stressful. She's already skated it as well as she probably could and achieved a lot with it, so why not just end it on a high note and put that program to rest in the program graveyard before the pressure gets to her? I support her choice to stick with a program she knows to get better technical content, but it seems a bit superfluous with the dream season she had...:slink:

firal

Record Breaker
Have to agree that it seems like an odd move...I love the Moulin Rouge program and thought it was one the most well-suited program this year...but I'm ready to see a different program.