2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

LRK

Record Breaker
Actually, I like that the story is a mix of so many themes and subjects, and characters... Probably my favourite is the Jean Valjean/Javert dynamic, but I wouldn't want it to be just about that, anyway.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'd love to see one of the men do a revolutionary-themed Les Mis program in the infamous Enjolras vest, or even a Valjean based program.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
actually yuzuru wanted POTO for olympic season but Brian talked him out of it and kanako wanted to skate to it after seeing Akiko's LP for 2013-2014 :laugh:

I would not have minded a Poto for Yuzu's Olympic skate. Then he would have been ahead of the rush.

skatefan22

Medalist
actually yuzuru wanted POTO for olympic season but Brian talked him out of it and kanako wanted to skate to it after seeing Akiko's LP for 2013-2014 :laugh:

Actually, even before the Olympic season, Yuzuru has wanted POTO for 2012-13 season but David Wilson didn't agree.
As for Kanako, she watched POTO when she was 16 and has been dreaming of performing it ever since. She used to propose to her coach about skating POTO before but got turned down. And she brought up POTO again this season and finally got approved.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed reading the book, and like the music.... can't see how people see it as a romance, though.

It isn't, but a lot of skating programs seem to focus on unrequited love (On My Own), ruined love (I Dreamed a Dream) etc. They often don't bring out the dark side of those songs, imo, let alone tackling the main issues of the book / musical.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Pitkeev's program will be a cello and piano verison of theme song from film "The Mission".

charmblade

Final Flight
Scimeca and Knierim have announced their music choices for next season: Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" for the SP and the soundtrack for Elizabeth: The Golden Age for the FP.

http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/journal/

I'm not familiar with the Elizabeth soundtrack. I like the SP choice but I wonder if they are going with the actual Metallica version or more of an instrumental cover. Either way, I like their approach to really play around with their music choices.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Scimeca and Knierim have announced their music choices for next season: Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" for the SP and the soundtrack for Elizabeth: The Golden Age for the FP.

I'm not familiar with the Elizabeth soundtrack. I like the SP choice but I wonder if they are going with the actual Metallica version or more of an instrumental cover. Either way, I like their approach to really play around with their music choices.

I'm surprised they didn't go with the score for the first Elizabeth movie. It's not the most familiar piece of music, but it was nominated for an Oscar and won the BAFTA, and it's appropriately dark and dramatic. If they do all their technical elements well it should bring the house down in Boston.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

Interesting choice. I hope they include some vocals.

Scovies

Final Flight

There's actually a band called Apocalyptica that does Metallica covers on cellos (that's what Brian Joubert used for his Metallica LP), but I think the original of "Nothing Else Matters" would be would be fine, tone-wise (i.e. not too extreme-sounding for the judges' taste), for a skating program. I still wouldn't go with that song, though. I'd love to see someone tackle "The Call of Chtulu" instead. It's a 9-minute instrumental track, so there would be plenty of great ways to edit it down for an LP, and it's bombastic but not thrash-metal like some of their other material from that album. They even did it with the San Francisco Symphony, which would be a great version to use if not for the live crowd noise.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Waiting on Gracie to announce that she'll do "Blank Space" as a FS. :p

Nah it doesn't come off as FS music, I think in terms of Billboard Top 40 music, there are very few songs that would make good skating music in entirety, it would have to be cut and tweaked and maybe mixed with something else, Blank Space is a bit too "same-y" throughout the entire song. You might need something with more highs and lows if that makes sense. Something like what Josh Farris did last year with his SP was suitable, I think if Gracie chose something in that vein, a slower pop song with lyrics, it would have words that she could identify with more than Sarah Brightman/Christine singing to her dead father for guidance

Or I just might be old fashioned, for upbeat pop music I can't imagine it as anything else but exhibition numbers

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Peter Tchernyshev is doing programs for Adelina, Maxim Kovtun, and Kavaguti/Smirnov.

https://vk.com/feed?w=wall-57301410_2825

Interested to see what he comes up with for Adelina & Max. I've never liked any program of Max's, but there's a first time for everything (maybe).

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peter Tchernyshev is doing programs for Adelina, Maxim Kovtun, and Kavaguti/Smirnov.

https://vk.com/feed?w=wall-57301410_2825

Interested to see what he comes up with for Adelina & Max. I've never liked any program of Max's, but there's a first time for everything (maybe).

Then there's a chance that you want like them now, Peter is Max choreographer and has been for about 2 years. But I really hopes he gives both Adelina and Max something memorable, as well as the Shibs.

Averbukh looks to be doing both of Radionova's programs
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20150513/831376618.html

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Then there's a chance that you want like them now, Peter is Max choreographer and has been for about 2 years. But I really hopes he gives both Adelina and Max something memorable, as well as the Shibs.

Ah, I didn't know that...or if I did, I forgot. Yeah, not too optimistic for Max then. Though there is the expression "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"...maybe he's due for something good.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, I didn't know that...or if I did, I forgot. Yeah, not too optimistic for Max then. Though there is the expression "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"...maybe he's due for something good.

Well he did great work with the Shibs ex. Maybe his choreography just doesn't mesh well with Max or Adelina for that matter although I did like her Olympic season exhibition.