Figure Skaters Recall Odd Gifts from Fans | Golden Skate

Figure Skaters Recall Odd Gifts from Fans

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh thank you for the link.
The 1988 Olympic bronze medalist Debi Thomas once received a box of Domino’s Pizza. Canadian Olympic silver medalists Elvis Stojko and Patrick Chan have both said they received lingerie.
:shocked: Well these are... the oddest I suppose?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Michelle is missing an opportunity. I bet there is one random one in there that is randomly worth money now or at least enough for a charity ebay auction. Could be a neat project actually, seeing the sample of days gone by. I bet she could find some interest.

andromache

Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek, the 2010 Olympic champion, said he’s received a bobblehead of himself, among stranger things.

“I got a self-sufficient ecosystem with a statue of me in the middle, so if the earth ever like came to an end, you could open this up, and the earth would regrow again from the center of this ecosystem with a statue of me,” he said.

I find this comment by Evan to be bizarre and hilarious. :laugh:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Oh thank you for the link.

:shocked: Well these are... the oddest I suppose?

“The panties came out on the ice after my short program,” Stojko said in 2010, according to ESPN.com, “and the top came out the next night after the long program, with a phone number and name attached.”

:rofl: This part is killing me!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek, the 2010 Olympic champion, said he’s received a bobblehead of himself, among stranger things.

“I got a self-sufficient ecosystem with a statue of me in the middle, so if the earth ever like came to an end, you could open this up, and the earth would regrow again from the center of this ecosystem with a statue of me,” he said.

I find this comment by Evan to be bizarre and hilarious. :laugh:

Sooooo bizarre. Almost as bizarre as this from a tour of his home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgSctFFKqM

We were on a hike, my parents and I and we came across the remains of some poor animal. Picked up the skull, soaked it in hydrogen peroxide, and then watched as all the remains fell off of it. I always see skulls as a powerful symbol.

What the F...

Also, how does one receive pizza? I mean I'm pretty sure it was just delivered to her door or something, but I just imagine someone throwing a box of pizza on the ice.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Javi still has the big Donald Duck & sombrero that he received from fans a few seasons back @ Skate Canada. He was playing around with both in the K&C. I actually met the fan who gave him that Donald Duck once @ Skate America (Reading, PA - 2007) , a few years before that happened.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Have any of you given offbeat toss gifts?

I've only given toss gifts once, at nationals. I wanted to give them something functional so they might actually keep it, so I tossed fuzzy socks and tech-compatible skating gloves from Target of Greensboro. I don't know what happened to them (duh). 😄

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like to give skaters gifts in person if I have the chance to meet up with them. I try to give something that reflects their interests (Todd - a pack of golf balls, golf glove, golf towel). If a special life event has happened recently - marriage, new baby, I would give them an appropriate picture frame or mini photo album for their pics of the occasion.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have any of you given offbeat toss gifts?

I've only given toss gifts once, at nationals. I wanted to give them something functional so they might actually keep it, so I tossed fuzzy socks and tech-compatible skating gloves from Target of Greensboro. I don't know what happened to them (duh). 😄

Same here! Like I knit my gifts because it makes it more meaningful and it shows I put in effort. Like I knitted purple socks for Jason Brown for when I saw him at Skate America. The handmade quality of gifts can make it that more special.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Same here! Like I knit my gifts because it makes it more meaningful and it shows I put in effort. Like I knitted purple socks for Jason Brown for when I saw him at Skate America. The handmade quality of gifts can make it that more special.
:love: I'd love to see your gifts to them, do you have photos?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awww lovely, I am sure all skaters love socks.

Jason follows my twitter so I told him that I was going to make him socks and he replied saying that he likes socks. Then weeks after SA 2014, I DMed him and asked him if he got the socks and he said he did and he loves them and he thanked me. :)

John King

Final Flight
Once I gave Liz Manley a T-shirt that was a take-off on the Olympic motto: Citius, Altius, Fortius (Fastest, Highest, Strongest); it had the Olympic 5-color rings at the top, with the words "Brevius, Suavius, Lepidius". When I told her what that meant, "Shortest, Sweetest, Cutest", she went "Awe...how sweet!". Sent me a postcard 6 months later, saying "I've been wearing the t-shirt all year on tour! It's great, thanks!" Recently sent a similar one to Rachael Flatt, and received a hand-written thank-you letter from her!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason follows my twitter so I told him that I was going to make him socks and he replied saying that he likes socks. Then weeks after SA 2014, I DMed him and asked him if he got the socks and he said he did and he loves them and he thanked me. :)

How nice that was! :clap:

I know Charlie White once complained in a pre Nationals interview that he did not get socks for Christmas. :laugh2: I wonder how many socks must have been thrown at Nationals that year. Socks make a nice ball to throw!

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How nice that was! :clap:

I know Charlie White once complained in a pre Nationals interview that he did not get socks for Christmas. :laugh2: I wonder how many socks must have been thrown at Nationals that year. Socks make a nice ball to throw!

Plus they're less likely to inure someone. And when I threw them, they barely made it onto the ice cause my throw is SO HORRIBLE.