Paul Wylie | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Latest and greatest update via IN's tweeting:

Here's the latest update we received from a close friend of the Wylie family: "Paul is doing great! He is awake, talking and humbled by the outpouring. He is still trying to get his head around the reality of the ordeal of course, but is making jokes!"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1slte24

Thank you for the update. I am happy to learn he seems to be on the road to recovery and will continue to pray for his complete healing.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Latest and greatest update via IN's tweeting:

Here's the latest update we received from a close friend of the Wylie family: "Paul is doing great! He is awake, talking and humbled by the outpouring. He is still trying to get his head around the reality of the ordeal of course, but is making jokes!"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1slte24
Thank you for the update. I'm glad he seems to be doing better.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
All I get is spam when I click on the twitlonger links.....so I will just repeat from my sourses....he at least WAS in a medically induced coma but from the above, it sounds like he has been brought out of it...
He is in my thoughts and I wish the best for him. I remember where I was when Sergei Grinkov died, he KNEW he had issues. PW is very physically fit and extreamely intelligent and not poor and one would hope he
didn't neglect proper preventative medical care. Lets just hope that whatever went wrong with his ticker can be fixed and he has a complete recovery.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks SO much for the update on Paul. May he continue to recover fully from this! ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks so much for the update! Such a relief to hear that he is already joking....

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, golly. I haven't been around GS much lately; logged in today and almost had a heart attack myself when I saw this thread. Paul is one of my all-time favorites -- so very glad to hear he's doing better!

As others have pointed out, it's scary to think that this could happen to someone like Paul who has been an athlete all his life and (presumably) taken good care of his health. I hope that at some point when the dust settles, he'll share whatever he learns about what caused the issue. Maybe there's something we can learn from his experience.

Most importantly, though, wishing him a speedy return to good health! My thoughts are with him and his family.

Victura

On the Ice
Very happy to hear that Paul seems to be on the mend, since initial rumors had seemed so uncertain. Hoping that he has a speedy and full recovery.

All I get is spam when I click on the twitlonger links.....so I will just repeat from my sourses....he at least WAS in a medically induced coma but from the above, it sounds like he has been brought out of it...
He is in my thoughts and I wish the best for him. I remember where I was when Sergei Grinkov died, he KNEW he had issues. PW is very physically fit and extreamely intelligent and not poor and one would hope he
didn't neglect proper preventative medical care. Lets just hope that whatever went wrong with his ticker can be fixed and he has a complete recovery.

It's possible for one to be sedated following such an event without it being a medically induced coma, which is done for more serious events that may involve lack of oxygen to the brain and to prevent any further damage.

For what it's worth, Sergei Grinkov didn't know he had cardiac issues - in fact, G&G had both undergone extensive medical tests for the Olympics the year prior to his death and that had turned up nothing. His father had died of a heart attack but somewhere in his 50s, and it was only revealed after Sergei's death that there had been a genetic component.

When I heard about Paul, I just remembered him commenting in a documentary following Sergei's death about praying for Sergei in Lake Placid. Sending prayers and support to Paul and his family for a full recovery and that whatever issues caused this can be resolved quickly.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Friday afternoon update -- new longer thank-you message with progress report :) from Paul's wife is in the photo attached to this IN tweet. (Cannot copy and paste the text from the photo.)

@icenetwork
Here's the latest update on Paul Wylie's condition, from his Facebook page via his wife, Kate...
12:49 PM - 24 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/591690542196502528 (click to see the photo showing the Facebook post)​

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Friday afternoon update -- new longer thank-you message with progress report :) from Paul's wife is in the photo attached to this IN tweet. (Cannot copy and paste the text from the photo.)

@icenetwork
Here's the latest update on Paul Wylie's condition, from his Facebook page via his wife, Kate...
12:49 PM - 24 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/591690542196502528 (click to see the photo showing the Facebook post)​

Good to read. I really hope they can pinpoint exactly what went wrong.

But at this point I'm just very happy that Paul's doing better. Keeping him in my thoughts.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are a number of things that can damage a healthy heart; including some viral and some bacterial infections.

Streptococcus A or B can damage your aortic valve. A friend of ours who runs marathons had this happen to him. He had to have a pig valve put in recently.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/group-b-strep/basics/complications/con-20033853

Scarlet fever and rheumatic fever can damage the heart similarly.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...EQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNEuKjaA5rKLPF_DghVyQ0ebIf3s7g

And so can other stuff
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...AQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHiUQw5lmJ3PX0iL2vuBNyFw0L-rQ

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update on Sergei....that broke my heart when he left us....perhaps the person that told me that he "knew" he had issues meant that he knew about his father.....

The really odd thing for me is that according to Wiki, his arterial opening was the size of a pinhole. Now if he had "extensive medical tests" the year before, is it possible that he could have passed a basic treadmill test and had the artery clog in a year?

"On November 20, 1995 Grinkov collapsed and died from a massive heart attack in Lake Placid, New York, while he and Gordeeva were practicing for the upcoming 1995–1996 Stars on Ice tour.[1][9] Doctors found that Grinkov had severely clogged coronary arteries (to the point where his arterial opening was reportedly the size of a pinhole), which caused the heart attack; later testing revealed that he also had a genetic risk factor linked with premature heart attacks. The risk factor is called the PLA-2 variant and is also known as the "Grinkov Risk Factor".[10] Grinkov was 28 years old. His wife was 24 and their daughter was 3 years old."

Very happy to hear that Paul seems to be on the mend, since initial rumors had seemed so uncertain. Hoping that he has a speedy and full recovery.

It's possible for one to be sedated following such an event without it being a medically induced coma, which is done for more serious events that may involve lack of oxygen to the brain and to prevent any further damage.

For what it's worth, Sergei Grinkov didn't know he had cardiac issues - in fact, G&G had both undergone extensive medical tests for the Olympics the year prior to his death and that had turned up nothing. His father had died of a heart attack but somewhere in his 50s, and it was only revealed after Sergei's death that there had been a genetic component.

When I heard about Paul, I just remembered him commenting in a documentary following Sergei's death about praying for Sergei in Lake Placid. Sending prayers and support to Paul and his family for a full recovery and that whatever issues caused this can be resolved quickly.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
From my secret sourses buried deep within the world of figure skating...good news

"We've received an update from close friends of the Wylies. Paul is awake, and his condition has improved. We'll share more as we hear it.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/paul-wylie-hospitalized.95489/page-3#post-4512082
Kasey at FSU said:
The "medically induced coma" could have been true-ish information. Frequently, if a person suffers an actual witnessed cardiac arrest, and is resuscitated, the physicians will institute therapeutic hypothermia protocol. As someone previously mentioned, any anoxic (lack of oxygen) period can cause swelling in the brain; hypothermia, by cooling a person to a specific set temperature and keeping them there for a certain length of time (usually 24 hours), can prevent some of this edema, and protect and prevent further damage to heart and brain. However, this is usually done only if the person is remaining neurologically unresponsive after resuscitation; and, because being cooled and treated with medical equipment such as ventilators etc is very uncomfortable, a person will be sedated into a coma-like state during these procedures. Usually however, it is a short acting sedation such as Propofol, which I don't really consider medical coma, since once it's turned off the person starts waking within a few minutes normally.

In spite of my sharing of this information, I don't have reason to believe that he was in a full cardiac arrest and had this treatment; it's just a response to the rumors of medically induced coma, and why that could have been true as well as him being remarkably and significantly better today be true as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victura

On the Ice
The really odd thing for me is that according to Wiki, his arterial opening was the size of a pinhole. Now if he had "extensive medical tests" the year before, is it possible that he could have passed a basic treadmill test and had the artery clog in a year?

Well, considering that he competed and won the Olympics a year prior to his death, I'm sure he could've passed a treadmill test. At any rate, Gordeeva talks about this in her book and being surprised that the Russian national team testing hadn't revealed anything prior to the Olympics.

Back on topic, however. Icenetwork posted an update on Paul from his wife Kate - positive news! https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/591690542196502528

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks for the update@Victura. Fingers crossed that Paul's condition is not serious.

KKonas

Medalist
Thanks for the update on Sergei....that broke my heart when he left us....perhaps the person that told me that he "knew" he had issues meant that he knew about his father.....

"On November 20, 1995 Grinkov collapsed and died from a massive heart attack in Lake Placid, New York, while he and Gordeeva were practicing for the upcoming 1995–1996 Stars on Ice tour.[1][9] Doctors found that Grinkov had severely clogged coronary arteries (to the point where his arterial opening was reportedly the size of a pinhole), which caused the heart attack; later testing revealed that he also had a genetic risk factor linked with premature heart attacks. The risk factor is called the PLA-2 variant and is also known as the "Grinkov Risk Factor".[10] Grinkov was 28 years old. His wife was 24 and their daughter was 3 years old."

A stress test alone may not have indicated that Grinkov had coronary heart disease (building of plaque in arteries), especially in a young otherwise healthy young man, and a highly trained athlete. Nowadays an angioplasty (a cardiac angiogram using a catheter inserted into a vein) can detect a blockage that is often widened with the insertion of a stent.

SunDae

Rinkside
Sending continuous healing thoughts to Paul and lots of love to his family :thumbsup:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Exactly correct. And that is the puzzle. And of course Wiki could be wrong. But here we have a healthy young man who can obviously compete at the OLY level one year, and have an artery clogged so bad the next that it is down to the size of a pin hole. At my age, I have a number of friends who have had attacks and stents, but they were mostly older guys who were, shall we say, out of shape. They did not eat right nor exercise. BTW, Only last year was the Grinkov Risk Factor test approved by the FDA.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287051.php
It would be interesting to know how his arteries really were as far as plaque during the Olympics. During the Korean war, battlefield surgeons were surprised at the level of plaque found in our healthy young soldiers who were wounded in combat and taken to MASH units, yet they made it through basic training PT and into combat with loaded packs.....
A stress test alone may not have indicated that Grinkov had coronary heart disease (building of plaque in arteries), especially in a young otherwise healthy young man, and a highly trained athlete. Nowadays an angioplasty (a cardiac angiogram using a catheter inserted into a vein) can detect a blockage that is often widened with the insertion of a stent.