2015 Skate America in Milwaukee | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America in Milwaukee

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
David Molina is tweeting that SA will be in Milwaukee...that doesn't make it true but if true, then its been in large urban Midwestern areas for awhile...Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee.
Oh well, there is always St. Paul...another large Midwestern area.... ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why not? If they're the ones bidding, that's all the USFSA can do.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
There was also a mini West coast era before Detroit in 2013:

2010- Portland, Oregon
2011- Ontario, California
2012- Kent, Washington

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
David Molina is tweeting that SA will be in Milwaukee...that doesn't make it true but if true, then its been in large urban Midwestern areas for awhile...Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee.

I think it is cool to expand venues out of familiar places, so perhaps newcomers can come to figure skating competitions in the States. Moreover, this season's Skate America was held in Chicago, so I'm fine with the decision. I also like the opening scene showing a host city at the beginning of TV coverage.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Jason (likely) and Gracie get assigned to this comp, it will be major home ice for them. Their suburban Chicago ice rinks are about 1.5 hours south. Plus both have competed in Milwaukee --- the Milwaukee Open is a popular summer comp for skaters who train in the region. Gracie's last comp there was fairly recent..like 2012?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ooooo it mentions Kopp's frozen custard! It's like a more full version of soft serve. Soooo gooood.

feldmand

Spectator

I agree with this. The east coast ( especially the northeast ) had not has a SA since Lake Placid.

Celine

On the Ice
While it's helpful to have the information (as a fan) I actually wonder how the ISU feels about having a relative insider (Molina is a judge) tweeting information before official announcements?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
While it's helpful to have the information (as a fan) I actually wonder how the ISU feels about having a relative insider (Molina is a judge) tweeting information before official announcements?

He has been known to delete tweets about ISU stuff (for example, he made two such deletions very recently), so I imagine that the ISU is not shy to ask him to delete when it feels the need.

That said, he is a good cheerleader for figure skating in general, for ice dance, for Team France, and for the ISU.
The ISU itself has made huge strides with its own social media efforts within the last year. I think the ISU would appreciate that his tweeting for the most part is unquestionably good for the sport.

Last edited:
About the choice of city, I think Karne's comment (post #3 above) is the most relevant. The city and local club organizers have to bid. Not everyone can afford it in terms of money and organization.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If Jason (likely) and Gracie get assigned to this comp, it will be major home ice for them. Their suburban Chicago ice rinks are about 1.5 hours south. Plus both have competed in Milwaukee --- the Milwaukee Open is a popular summer comp for skaters who train in the region. Gracie's last comp there was fairly recent..like 2012?

Only about an hour for Jason since Highland Park is north.