Predict the (skating) future | Golden Skate

Predict the (skating) future

Layback11

Record Breaker
A lot of us skating fans like to think about what the future of figure skating will be like. Will the IJS be expelled after yet another legendary scandal? Which juniors or even novices are the Olympic champions of 2030-somethign? Which of today's stars are tomorrow's commentators, choreographers, or top coaches? This is the Crazy Future Predictions thread on a plausible level. Anything from the 2022 Olympic ice dance podium to who ends up together (well, I won't make that call, but some of you might want to!) goes, as long as it's actually possible. (Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 and POTO being banned are both not examples). Have fun and let the games begin! :dance:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 is possible, who knows what exciting new cybernetics will be developed. I bet Plushenko conveniently has the right kind of body for accepting cyborg implant. He won't ever go away. He will jump into our eyes and hearts and minds, forever and forever.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 is possible, who knows what exciting new cybernetics will be developed. I bet Plushenko conveniently has the right kind of body for accepting cyborg implant. He won't ever go away. He will jump into our eyes and hearts and minds, forever and forever.

True...but for now, such technology does not exist, so I am currently not considering it a possibility.

Also, the age limit for the Olympics is 60. :p

Barb

Record Breaker
Akiko coach and coreographer
Mao Coach
Elena Radionova Actress
Yuna coach
Denis Ten president of ISU
Marin Honda and Wakaba figure skaters stars at olympics 2022.
At 2030 jumps, spins, SS and transitions will be evaluated with a computational software :love:, so judges can focus on the interpretation, coreography and execution and we all still won't be agree with scores :unsure:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Akiko coach and coreographer
Mao Coach
Elena Radionova Actress
Yuna coach
Denis Ten president of ISU
Marin Honda and Wakaba figure skaters stars at olympics 2022.
At 2030 jumps, spins, SS and transitions will be evaluated with a computational software :love:, so judges can focus on the interpretation, coreography and execution and we all still won't be agree with scores :unsure:

I can see Mao as a coach but somehow not Yuna. I can see her having a high position with the ISU or on an Olympic committee but not as a coach. I could be completely off base though. +1 to Akiko as a choreographer.

Wakaba winning an OGM sometime in the future.
Karen Chen having an amazing senior debut.
Soyoun's PCS improves next year.
Tuk lands a triple axel in both a SP and FS.

andromache

Record Breaker
Can I call Wakaba Higuchi as the next OGM now?

Not a fan of putting undue pressure on young skaters (and that's not what I'm trying to do here) but OGM winners tend to surprise everyone (except for Yuna in 2010) and by 2018 I think many of the top Russian ladies will be in contention, but Higuchi will surprise everyone.

desertskates

Medalist
I also don't see Yuna as a coach, but I do think she will be very important to the sport in some capacity.
I predict Javi will win the GPF in his home country. :dance:
Kavaguti and Smirnov never reach the level of success they one did.
Russian ladies who will not make another world team: Anna Pogorilaya, Alena Leonova, and Adelina Sotnikova (I know, that one is a bold statement).
Ashley and Gracie are 4 and 5 at Worlds in Boston :bang:

gkelly

Record Breaker
A lot of us skating fans like to think about what the future of figure skating will be like. Will the IJS be expelled after yet another legendary scandal? Which juniors or even novices are the Olympic champions of 2030-somethign?

2030 is 15 years away. I bet that some of the singles and pair girls who will be contending for medals that year haven't yet set foot on the ice or are still toddling around, nowhere near novice or junior level yet.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I also don't see Yuna as a coach, but I do think she will be very important to the sport in some capacity.
I predict Javi will win the GPF in his home country. :dance:
Kavaguti and Smirnov never reach the level of success they one did.
Russian ladies who will not make another world team: Anna Pogorilaya, Alena Leonova, and Adelina Sotnikova (I know, that one is a bold statement).
Ashley and Gracie are 4 and 5 at Worlds in Boston :bang:

Well yes. . . but what order? There's the drama

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru will win again in 2018.
Bjou will become a coach and finally win this olympic medal in 2020.
I hope and think Daisuke will be a choreographer. I don't see him becoming a coach though. Maybe he could be part of a coaching duo (with his wife Mao, one can dream).
I don't see Yuna becoming a coach. I think she is done with skating. I think she will continue the All that skate company and do business/sport management. Or maybe something in diplomacy like Michelle Kwan, given her statute in Korea and her work with Unicef. I just see her as someone really ambitious (and really pushed by her entourage).

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Oh also Volosozhar/Trankov would be an awesome coaching team. Listening to Maxim's commentary shows he is really knowledgeable and passionate about pair skating and also has a very clear vision of what he thinks pair skating should be.
Last but not least, Denis Ten will become ISU president. Take note that in 30 years on this forum I'll be like "I called that. I told you so".

dress

On the Ice
Quads will become even more the norm in the men's competition. Multiple quads programs will be the norm
We will see more 3axels in the ladie's event
In a near future, Tuk will land a quad in competition, and we might see her do a 3 axel combo

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
This is for the US Ladies:
Ashley and Gracie will be 4 and 5 in Boston. A new skater will come up. She will be 4th in 2017 and 5th in 2018. Then it will be time for the Olympics, where she will come in 6th in the Olympics. Don't worry, though. Another skater will be on the way, and she and her friend will be 4th, 5th or 6th every year until 2022.

NBC will drop figure skating coverage, except for the Olympics and an afternoon showing of the Nationals in between football and infomercials.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Polina stalking her jumps less. And possibly edging someone (read: Gracie or Ashley) out for a spot on the worlds team.

=|

I hope someone emerges as a top contender.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
*Mao becomes like the Dick Button of Japan where she produces (and performs in) unique and innovative ice shows and tv specials, write books about ice skating, and champion future skaters.

*Yuna will follow the likes of Audrey Hepburn to use her celebrity and fame to spotlight UNICEF's humanitarian work all over the world.

*Javier and Miki get married, move to Spain and build up a figure skating program known for its quads (for male and female skaters)

*Denis Ten becomes president of Kazakhstan (is that possible? Don't know political system there)

*Nam will get silver at 2018 Olympics behind either Javier or Hanyu leaving Brian Orser to have an existential crises.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Predictions. Carolina and Yuna will not come back. Gracie, Polina or Ashley will win a world medal by 2018. Sotnikova will never reach her Olympic skate. Chan's return will be short. Sui and Han will win gold. V and T will h ave trouble keeping up with S/H and even D/R. Kavagui and Smirnov will never win a world medal again - sad. Fernandez will have a major crash and burn at some major event. Lipnkaiya will have trouble coming back next year. Jason Brown will win a world medal by 2018. Hanyu will win Olympic gold again when everyone else crashes and burns.

Skater01

On the Ice
In 2018 Petrov will suprise everybody and medal in the olympics along with Nam and Fernandez.Yuzuru bombs really bad and Orser gets in the middle of a huge crisis. (Plushenko will be there also but he does nothing special and finishes in top10)

Lipnitskaya will get her jumps just in time for the Olympic qualification and gets a spot. Se does two perfect programs but finishes 2nd behind Liza who is totally out of reach with her quards.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Judging by how Yuzuru tends to solicit Team Japan's male pair skaters for lifts, I predict that he will successfully coach Japan's first pairs team to earn both World & Olympic medals. I highly doubt that his desire to do something that hasn't been done before (not to mention his need to win) will end after he retires from competition.

And I agree with everyone who says Denis will be president of...well...something! Definitely a smart & charismatic boy~