2015-16 German Nationals in Essen, NRW | Golden Skate

2015-16 German Nationals in Essen, NRW

Alex D

Record Breaker
Nationals Teaser Part 1

Sadly, I can not be at Essen as previously noted, but I still wanted to give you a small teaser.

Pairs:

Aljona won 8 national titles with Robin and after his retirement she teamed up with Bruno Massot and finally after almost two years, they are able to compete together. It should be a very interesting battle between them and Mari Vartmann and Ruben Blommaert, who, while winning at Nice, surely look forward to get their revenge, after coming second at Tallin, where Massot and Savchenko won. Personally, I am of course also very interested about Hase & Seegert and if they can improve once again.

StN.
Name
Club
Nation
Mari VARTMANN / Ruben BLOMMAERT
DEG/ECO
N/B
Aljona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT
CEC/ECO
S/B
Minerva-Fabienne HASE / Nolan SEEGERT
BSV92/SCB
BER

Ladies:

The Ladies competition will most likely see a battle between Lutricia Bock, Nathalie Weinzierl and skating on home soil, Nicole Schott. All three while still without a victory this season, should be able to decide who will go to the European Championships at Bratislava. Also "Lea Johanna - the Smile - Dastich" will compete, together with Jennifer Parker and Alina Mayer.

StN.
Name
Club
Nation
Alina MAYER
ECO
BAY
Lea Johanna DASTICH
DREC
SAS
Jennifer PARKER
ECO
BAY
Nicole SCHOTT
EJE
NRW
Lutricia BOCK
CEC
SAS
Nathalie WEINZIERL
MERC
B-W

The DEU has set up a live stream and you can as previously noted, find it here. Protocols and the like, will be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Teaser Part 2

Men:

Franz Streubel is going to try to defend his title from last year, while Paul Fentz who came second, will try to climb one step higher. Niko Ulanovsky has been working on a quad lately and also went for it at the NRW Trophy, he seems like a possible medal contender as well.

StN.
Name
Club
Nation
Marco ASAM
MEV
BAY
Alexander BETKE
ERCW
NRW
Anton KEMPF
MEV
BAY
Alexander BJELDE
ECO
BAY
Paul FENTZ
SCB
BER
Niko ULANOVSKY
ERCW
NRW
Martin RAPPE
CEC
SAS
Franz STREUBEL
ECO
BAY

Peter Liebers the five time national champion and 8th at Sochi, has withdrawn due an injury.

Leider muss ich bekanntgeben, dass ich auch dieses Jahr verletzungsbedingt nicht an der Deutschen Meisterschaft teilnehmen kann. Natürlich bin ich sehr traurig, da es immer wieder ein tolles Gefühl ist bei diesen Meisterschaften dabei zu sein!
Wie sich aber leider erst kürzlich herausstellte, habe ich keine Zerrung, wie zunächst angenommen, sondern eine Verletzung am Hüftgelenk. Ich werde zur Zeit nach allen Kräften behandelt und bin zuversichtlich, dass ich bald wieder voll einsteigen kann.
Dann gebe ich natürlich alles, um diese Saison noch versöhnlich zu beenden!!!

Liebe Grüße
Peter

Unfortunately do I have to announce, that I will also miss the German Nationals this season, due an injury. Of course, I am deeply sorry, especially as it is such a great feeling to compete at these championships.

Just recently I found out that I did not just pull a muscle, but have an injury in my hip joint. I do receive medical treatment as good as possible and I am sure that I will be back soon. Once I am back, I will give everything to finish this season with a happy end.

Best wishes,

Peter

----

Ice Dance:

We will have a new champion at Ice Dance, as Nelli and Alex, the six time national champions do not compete together, anymore. Alex finished his competitive career, while Nelli might return with a new partner once found.

StN.
Name
Club
Nation
Aurelija IPPOLITO / Bennet PREISS
ERCW/SCM
NRW
Kavita LORENZ / Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS
ECO
BAY
Katharina MÜLLER / Tim DIECK
SCC/ERCW
B/N

Kavita & Joti (Panagiotis) came 4th at Nebelhorn and won the Open d' Andorra, Canillo earlier this year. With less than a year of skating together, quite an achievement! Katharina and Tim, are the junior champions from last season and a possible threat, she is originally from Russia, while he is the offspring from a strong figure skating family. Their Ave Maria FD is very emotional and they are a very passionate and traditional ice dance pair, with a strong focus on acting and expression and creative lifts.

Schedule: (CET)

Date
Time
Category
Segment
15:40:00
Senior Ice Dance
Short Dance
16:20:00
Senior Men
Short Program
17:35:00
Senior Pairs
Short Program
18:15:00
Senior Ladies
Short Program
12:30:00
Senior Ice Dance
Free Dance
13:15:00
Senior Men
Free Skating
14:45:00
Senior Pairs
Free Skating
15:15:00
Senior Ladies
Free Skating

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex D

Record Breaker
translation

Thank you!

----

The Interview was done by the ARD and Daniel Weiss, I have only translated it.

Here is the translation,

Daniel, all eyes are on Aljona and Bruno. While they both won Tallin and Warsaw, the Nationals are just their third competition together. How well prepared and in what shape is the new German Dream Pair?

At first it was not clear if they could actually compete at nationals. On Wednesday, the medical team gave it´s ok for Bruno, who recently struggled a bit with injuries. Aljona just called me and said that nothing is going to stop them now and that they will indeed compete.

In regards of the sport. I saw them both this season and based on their jumps & technique, it is quite impressive and they are definitely world class. The Free Skate at Tallin was very good, in the short Aljona was not at her best, however. He was quite nervous, you noticed the respect he had of competing with the Jewel Aljona.

What did you like most? Where can they improve more?

The Free at Tallin was world class. It began with a triple triple toe combination. Afterwards another triple side by side, the Salchow und also this element was landed clean and confident.

The throw Lutz is magnificent and one of the best in the world. Sie is so high, that it takes your breath away. Said element, they can do as a quad, at the Olympics 2018. Both have the qualities to compete with the best at Worlds and European Championships.

What they miss is the required money to really get a high class choreographer, there they are not determined enough. But this of course also takes time, it is a game of man and woman, they lack the harmony and some glamour. I am not sure yet, if Bruno is the right guy for this. he is a very big and sympathetic bear.

What is the actual situation in the German Federation? The paid 30k they want to have back from the skaters, do they?

For now, the money has been paid. Aljona and Bruno have to pay it back, time after time. This is especially not possible for Bruno, he hardly has any money to make a living and honestly, he was sitting in the dust there for 18 months. They are looking for a way, however.

In my opinion, they should not demand anything. They still profit from Aljona and Robin and will keep doing so. They are even so to speak. Still, it was a great engagement by the DEU with a lot of sensitivity.

Daniel, how would you rate the qualities of our German number two, Mari and Ruben? Are they on the right track?

The second German pair was very enjoyable to me at Tallin. They were smoother with more elegance than before. Back in the days, Vartmann was still with Aaron van Cleave. They can improve in the "slipstream". The throws are ok. He is, compared to Massot, smaller and less powerfull. Yet, even if "tiny", he does have a good technique.

After the withdrawal by Peter, who is the favorite for the men?

Peter has a few issues, it is questionable if Euro and Worlds are still a thing for him this season. This weekend, Paul Fentz and Franz Streubel will battle it out. Streubel is a very good jumper, he does practice with Annett Pötzsch. Yet, he is a bit stiff on the ice. Therefore, at Euro´s he is not a top 10 candidate for me. But if he goes clean at Essen, he will be crowned the champion.

At the Ladies, Nicole will try everything to defend her title. Can she do it?

This is a very interesting competition. Nicole Schott, Nathalie Weinzierl and Lutricia Bock will fight for gold. Weinzierl is in good shape, Schott the defending champion and on home soil. This, however, can also be a burden. Bock is with 16, the youngest and a bit shy. But she has her chances to play a role there.

There are rumors that she might be coached with Ingo Steuer. It is a thrilling competition. International, Nathalie and Nicole might have a shot for the top 10, if they deliver.

How does it look like at ice dance, after the retirement of Alexander Gaszi? What is Nelli doing, does she still skate?

Here we have a new development with the new pair Kavita Lorenz and Panagiotis Polizoakis. He was a singles skater. Both are in the states with a high class coach, Igor Spielband. He already made fantastic pairs. What he did with the two of them in such a short period of time is impressive. They surely will be crowned national champions. In the ice dance circuit they still have to improve. In future, they might be able to skate for medal, they are the biggest glimmer of hope, for Germany.

This is now the last update I could give in regards of nationals. I wish you guys a lot of fun with the stream and good luck to all the skaters. I apologize for spelling errors.

Last edited:

red cat

Rinkside
It looks like Kavita got a cold. :( I wish them to skate well tomorrow! I am doing multitasking between GPF and Essen.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Not sure if we looked the same competition ... From the first second you could see that there is something not well ... Everyone had a look after kavita when they went of the ice... And in the kiss and cry she coughed not only one time

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
It seems like S/M landed everything clean!!!!! :hap10::yes2:

Granted 80 might be overscored but should they replicate this performance again they will give the Russians some stiff competition at Euros! Can't wait! :yahoo:

Weathergal

Medalist
http://sportdeutschland.tv/eiskunstlauf/deutsche-meisterschaft-2016

Info about the broadcast. It says "Sportdeutschland.TV shows both days the German Championship live and on demand."

And yes, of course S/M will participate.

The DEU has set up a live stream and you can as previously noted, find it here. Protocols and the like, will be found here.

silverfoxes and Alex D, thanks for the livestream links. I was able to catch most of the Men's and Pairs today and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to catch a lot of the FS/FDs tomorrow.

Alex D
, thanks also for your previews!

It was great to see Savchenko/Massot. I also liked Vartmann/Blommaert.

On the men's side I'm torn between the more refined style of Fentz and the exciting style of Streubel. I hope both skate their best tomorrow in the FS!

A few questions for anyone who might know:
Who are the man and woman commentators?

Why did Jennifer Urban and Sevan Lerche withdraw?