So You Think You Can Dance - 6-1-15 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance - 6-1-15

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i enjoy Derek actually, maybe not just because of her dancing but his personality as well, i am not surprised by eliminations, cant wait to see whats gonna happen next week though
i love when they bring old videos of dancers, Jim a pink suit and giving girls to flowers at the end ; Virgil in yellow pants hopping his toes ; poor Hailee getting knock down by older girls :laugh:
i love "fiessy" JaJa and her personality, you never know she is a krumper, her solo was just :love: and it was great to see Ricky again
also Jim's solo :love: how does he stay on air that long?
i have a question, is there any dancer still not eliminated that you are surprised to see in top 8? mine are Megz and Hailee
finally Cat, "its not that kind of club" :laugh2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
For some reason, Derek doesn't do anything for me.... I know that Alex Wong (via facebook) was urging people to vForote for Derek during week 1. However, he may be a great technical dancer, he's not connecting as much for me.

This week, I'm disappointed by one of the eliminations.

My top 4 choices are Virgil, Jaja, Gabby and Jim.

For me, Derek is lacking in partner chemistry. His solos are great but he doesn't seem to be 'into' his partners when he dances.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This week, I'm disappointed by one of the eliminations.

I am very, very sad that Neptune was eliminated. :cry: He really worked hard but I think the best advice from the judges....get more training.

I thought Jim did a good job with his routine, maybe not the best but I thought it was good considering all things. I just hope the judges' comments aren't ruining Jim's chances of winning. I don't understand where Travis was with some critic of Jim's style.

Jim's solo was perfection!! :love:

heyang

Record Breaker
Yep - Neptune was the person I had hoped for top 6, too. I am somewhat surprised Megz has been in it this long.....

I think all of the dancers gain a lot of insights from working with different dancers and choreographers and receiving feedback from the judges. All of them have grown as dancers and performers by the time they exist the show.

I do like this judging panel. I was never a huge Mary screaming fan and was not a fan of several of the guest judges.

I'm not sure about the mentoring aspect. I suspect it's meaningful behind the scenes, but it's not really translating on camera.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep - Neptune was the person I had hoped for top 6, too. I am somewhat surprised Megz has been in it this long.....

I agree about Megz; her routine last evening was the tell all; I guess that's why I'm so sad about Neptune.

I think all of the dancers gain a lot of insights from working with different dancers and choreographers and receiving feedback from the judges. All of them have grown as dancers and performers by the time they exist the show.

For some reason I think this season has some of the best dancers. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the new format but I honestly can say I have enjoyed this year tremendously.

I also like this judging panel. I think that Paula has added a lot to the judging, I'm quite impressed with her and Jason too.

I'm not sure about the mentoring aspect. I suspect it's meaningful behind the scenes, but it's not really translating on camera.

I think the person I'm disappointed in is Travis. Like I said before, if Jim was not doing good in his hip hop routine then I think Travis should have had a talk with him....if Travis is Jim's mentor or a mentor at all.

heyang

Record Breaker
I read Twitch's and Travis's recent blogs. Both mentioned how Derek is a great technical dancer, but that he needed to work on making a connection to his partner and the audience. They both mentioned that this is the most common note that most of the technical dancers get.

I'd put Jim in that group too. I don't find him as memorable as Alex P Wong who's time on SYTYCD as a competitor was short lied due to injury. It's probably that audience connection factor. Jim's a great dancer - can definitely see it when he's performing ballet, but he doesn't always hit the performance factor in other forms.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
me too :cry: when i saw Alex's tweet i thought oh no Jim went home, then i saw Alex danced with JaJa(and what an amazing routine that was, OMG! she deserves an oscar in my eyes) and i thought oh no JaJa went home,
not surprised about top4 though except one dancer but you cant always get what you want :bang:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
me too :cry: when i saw Alex's tweet i thought oh no Jim went home, then i saw Alex danced with JaJa(and what an amazing routine that was, OMG! she deserves an oscar in my eyes) and i thought oh no JaJa went home,
not surprised about top4 though except one dancer but you cant always get what you want :bang:

I am sad that I'm not going to see Jim dance again, his solo was breathtaking!! If I could have booed each of the judges so they could hear me booing.... they were all over Jim but were so complimentary to Megz. I don't get it.

I am surprised that Hailee is in the final 4.

heyang

Record Breaker

Yes, I'm surprised that Hailee made it into the top 4. Really thought that Jim would be the 4th spot.

While Hailee has been more consistent then Jim during the past weeks, I really don't find her memorable.

So, Jaja, Virgil, Gabby and Hailee - top 4. Based upon most comments throughout, Hailee seems like the most likely 4th place. I, personally, would have a hard time choosing between Gabby and Jaja as the top. Love Virgil, but I don't think he'll have as many votes from the world of dancers as compared to Jaja and Gabby. Like Neptune, I think Virgil can find success in the dance world with some additional training and some the right opportunities - I think quite a few of the former contestant gain opportunities through contact at SYTYCD.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
it was another great show,
i am rooting for JaJa to win ! when she said "i am gonna love every routine i am gonna get no matter what" i thought what a great way to look at it, not just for dancing but whatever you do, she is great, its obvious she loves what she does and ready to work hard for it and her dad is so funny " you are not the best so word hard" :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think it's a toss up between Gabby and Jaja for the win. Personally, I'd put Hailee at #4 and Virgil at #3.

When I look back at this season, I do think the dancers are talented, but I don't think I identify any routine with this season/dancers. There wasn't any stunning or landmark routine .... maybe it's because there have been so many seasons, but there are so many routines from the 1st 5 seasons that I can recall still.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's a toss up between Gabby and Jaja for the win.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was going to be a street & stage winner. Corrected Myself. Just went to the SYTYCD site and it's just one winner.

I am rooting for Gabby because technically beside Jim, she is the best.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was going to be a street & stage winner. Corrected Myself. Just went to the SYTYCD site and it's just one winner.

I am rooting for Gabby because technically beside Jim, she is the best.

now that you mentioned it, i agree with you, i wonder why. they introduced many new choreographers (not that they were bad) this season and we saw very little of old ones
and i think there were less variety this season, for example i missed seeing ballroom in the show

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed the season more than I thought I would. I really don't think that the street dancers would have had a chance with ballroom just based on technique, so in my mind that's why they didn't put ballroom in. Otherwise, how did Megz stay so long in the competition with her rounded shoulders? I missed ballroom as well.

As far as the choreographers go, one issue I didn't understand was the judges commented on a routine one of the final four did and said it was just OK; it didn't bring out the dancers strong points. How is that the dancers fault?? I think Nigel was already picking the winner by the comments he made. For example, Jim, comment after comment and Jim was out of the running. :mad: :mad:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonight's the finale....keeping my fingers crossed for Gabby!!!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
great night and great season and congratz to winner(not to give any spoilers :biggrin:) she/he has been great during the season :cheer:
but what i will remember the most is Jim and Alex's number, wow that was amazing, i think its safe to say that was the most anticipated pairing of the season and i am so glad they did it :love:
i was also hoping to see JJ and Derek's Argentine tango (even though Derek never got to dance cause he was injured, it would be good redemption for him too :biggrin:)
i also loved the twitter battle, i wish it was longer :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
**Spoiler**

I am happy for 2 reasons, one, that Gabby won (totally deserved it for her technical skills). The other is I got to see Jim dance again

matmuh said:
but what i will remember the most is Jim and Alex's number, wow that was amazing,

Couldn't agree more with you!!! :love:

When I saw the male ballet dancer, I thought oh no....Jim's not going to dance tonight. I thought Jim & Alex danced better than the guest ballet dancer....just my opinion.

heyang

Record Breaker
Congrats to Gabby. I wish they had requested a repeat of her the tap routine she did with one of the guys from last year.

I was happy to see them incorporate some new routines in the finale.