If Adelina Sotnikova returns | Golden Skate

If Adelina Sotnikova returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

blargmonster

Rinkside
Honestly wondering how they will score her PC's and GOE's when she returns to competition? On the basis that she skates clean again, keeping them would give her a large cushion over current skaters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When Adelina returns I am sure we will see some positive impact on her second mark from the time on DWTS. She improved so much on that show, and she was already very good to begin with.

When Adelina returns I am also sure that she will be the only Russian lady who can keep up with Liza, jumps-wise. She is also the only other top Russian lady who has turned into a woman and kept her jumps, while the majority of the other Russian "stars" have not yet finished growing or developing

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Aside from her OGM reputation, as Karne said, it's very likely that her time in DWTS will help her in the overall presentation, timing and interpretation. I agree she's the only Russian lady that can keep pace with Liza, but her technique is still not as great, so I would think she needs to work on that, like the Lutz edge. It will be very interesting to see her competing against Liza and Mao.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
If she comes back, I hope she mops the floor with the competition. I'm not really a fan, nor do I think she deserved gold in Sochi but the intense hate she has received since just makes me root for her. She definitely has the technical goods and she has become a better performer since the OL.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
If she returns, and I don't doubt that she will, she'll be a force to be reckoned with. The big questions is only how consistent she'll be. The pressure on her will be immense and she has to go trough Russian Nationals ... because let's face it: she was never under that kind of pressure, she hasn't faced what f.e. Yulia or Yuna have faced in Sochi. It will be interesting, but I truly believe that she could be great.

moriel

Record Breaker
Hmmm dunno
Lots of pressure to prove her OGM - but that may actually be good for her, as she seems to perform well under this kind of pressure actually. In Sochi, for example, she skated better because she was left out of the team event.
On the other hand, there is less pressure from russian fed on her (unlike Yulia or Yuna in Sochi, she is not her country "only" hope - Russia currently got quite a bunch of top ladies and i guess they dont really care which of them wins, as long as one or two win)

JayW

Final Flight
I have faith in her, since she has a near perfect combination of technicality, musicality, body type and muscle. She will win big, even another OGM!

I still don't think she deserves the Sochi gold. The two performances there have many errors. But that is another can of worms.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
If she can keep the pressure at bay and perform well, I don't doubt that she'll get rewarded greatly. What she needs is consistency. Now that Liza got her jumping mojo back and Mao competing again, it will now take more than one magical performance to justify her marks.

Gosh, this reminds me of Mirai and Gracie.

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Winning the OGM:
* did the fact that she was able to deliver at the highest level of competition give her confidence and self-belief that she will need to deal with pressure from here on out
or
* is there some insecurity there deep down and pressure considering the controversial nature of her win which can affect her performances once she is back on the spotlight

Taking a year off:
* was it beneficial in that she was able to take time to decompress from the Olympics, get herself physically healthy, and improve her performance skills through DWTS
or
* does it make it harder for her to get back mentally in competitive mode, has the pressure built up through that time, how will she respond to early setbacks in training or competition

The other Russians doing well and Liza getting World Champ with triple axel:
* does this put less pressure and attention on Adelina knowing that she is not solely responsible for the success of her country
or
* it won't matter because she will still feel a lot of pressure not only to live up to her OGM win but also because she wants to achieve more.

Adelina has the goods to be the top female skater but the way the human mind works is really mysterious and unpredictable. It's really going to be interesting how she fares this season and how the narrative will go.

JayW

Final Flight
Adelina has the goods to be the top female skater but the way the human mind works is really mysterious and unpredictable. It's really going to be interesting how she fares this season and how the narrative will go.

Agree. If she can put everything behind her, there is no doubt that she will be on top. I even believe she could do a quard, with her immense jumping ability!

Barb

Record Breaker
I think she wont be consistent like other skaters (Liza, Elena, Evgenia, Satoko) but her skating is very enjoyable, she has excellent spins, good speed, big jumps, great presence and interpretation. As olympic champion I think she will get good PCS but she is truly good at interpretation, performance and SS, we will be choreography and transitions but the segment that she skated last year was beautiful.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I think she wont be consistent like other skaters (Liza, Elena, Evgenia, Satoko) but her skating is very enjoyable, she has excellent spins, good speed, big jumps, great presence and interpretation. As olympic champion I think she will get good PCS but she is truly good at interpretation, performance and SS, we will be choreography and transitions but the segment that she skated last year was beautiful.

I agree. She has great extensions as well :yes:

gmyers

Record Breaker
What do you mean? she said she is training only for shows?

That's not what she has said but based on what I have read she is doing and how often she is not competition training. She is just not returning.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Out of the current crop she is one of the more well rounded skaters, she's kind of like Gracie, good technique wise but they are not so strong competitors. She'll need to be consistent or she might run into more trouble. If Eliza, Elena, Yulia (if she regains her consistency) and Evgenia continuously skate well and Adelina makes mistakes but wins, it won't reflect well on her. I just want to see what kind of performances she'll bring to us after DWTS, she learned a lot and I'd love to see some new refreshing choreography from her and her team.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
That's not what she has said but based on what I have read she is doing and how often she is not competition training. She is just not returning.

I don't know how her training schedule is now, but while doing DTWS she still trained twice a day and posted a video of training 3F-3Lo - how does that not look like training for competition?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Links? I would like to read them so I can burn my hope that she's coming back. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
She's at the CSKA training camp as we speak. She had new competition programs prepared. What exactly gives anyone the impression that she isn't coming back? Why would she go through all those motions and waste her time and energy if she had no intention of returning? :rolleye:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's at the CSKA training camp as we speak. She had new competition programs prepared. What exactly gives anyone the impression that she isn't coming back? Why would she go through all those motions and waste her time and energy if she had no intention of returning? :rolleye:

Maybe people who don't want her to come back thinks its all for show :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.