McNamara and Carpenter: 'Never count yourself out' | Golden Skate

McNamara and Carpenter: 'Never count yourself out'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One significant thing that U.S. ice dancers Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter learned this past season was that no matter what happens in the beginning of the year, it doesn't set the stage for the rest. [More]

The team is currently working on their new free dance which promises to show a more sophisticated side to the ice dancers.

“I think what is special about Lorraine and Quinn is that they are both very passionate skaters,” said Novak. “They deliver the story line very well and have a good connection between them in this dance. I think that this program will show it even more. They are at the age now where they can show a more mature relationship. Kids grow up very fast and at this age, one year can make a big difference. It’s a very different feeling and it’s very exciting.”

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am so glad to see a great interview with this very talented team :love:

It was interesting to read what they had to say about the Starlight Waltz.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, McNamara/Carpenter got deliberately jobbed in the JGP last season, just to keep them out of the final. I'm glad they didn't let it affect the rest of their season, and they got the standing and the medal they deserved at Worlds where it really counted.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Noticed that Quinn had a bandage or cast on his thumb/hand at the USFS ice dance camp a few days ago.

Not trying to be alarmist. Hope that it is nothing serious and that Lorraine/Quinn will compete at Lake Placid as planned.

One significant thing that U.S. ice dancers Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter learned this past season was that no matter what happens in the beginning of the year, it doesn't set the stage for the rest. [More]

Thanks for the article and thread :).

So many nice details. Esp. loved that Quinn called his seven-and-a-half-year-old sister his absolute best friend :cool:.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope this team doesn't skate at Nationals as Juniors yet again. They should be at Senior level Nationally this year they have nothing left to win as Juniors and it doesn't help them for the future. I wouldn't have minded them skating as Seniors internationally either.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they would like to win the World Junior title before moving up.

BTW it is difficult to skate Senior Nationally and Junior internationally because there are two different Short Dances. The Senior SD, the Ravensburger Waltz, is rather difficult and they wouldn't be able to get enough practice time while working the junior dance, the Starlight Waltz for the JGP/JGPF/JW.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think they would like to win the World Junior title before moving up.

BTW it is difficult to skate Senior Nationally and Junior internationally because there are two different Short Dances. The Senior SD, the Ravensburger Waltz, is rather difficult and they wouldn't be able to get enough practice time while working the junior dance, the Starlight Waltz for the JGP/JGPF/JW.

Both serious considerations. Also, like it or not, it is still very difficult to move up in dance once you have been "placed" in senior ranking. It's doable, but it's much more difficult than in other disciplines. It generally seems to be wiser to make a name for yourself as a junior and come into seniors ranked as high as possible right off the bat. So M&C may want to give themselves every opportunity to do that rather than coming into senior nationals at an obvious disadvantage due to having a less-practiced SD.

We've had quite a few talented dance teams split up after placements at senior nationals were lower than anticipated very early within a team's senior career. I would hate to see that happen again because a team felt pushed into moving up without being on equal ground with the other senior competitors.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
M/C have been Juniors at Nationals for the last 5 years and won last year so they have nothing left to win as Juniors Nationally. Repeating as champions seems almost meaningless in the long run.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, but winning junior worlds before entering seniors could be very meaningful. I think it's a tremendous goal if that is what they are hoping to accomplish, and I wish them the very best in reaching it. (Though I have concerns about Carmen).

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A huge conrats to this young team who placed first in both their JGPs and are headed for the Finals! :cheer2:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As long as it matters to them (and it does), your opinion doesn't figure in their equation. :no:

Layback11

Record Breaker
They have broken all JGP score records, too, in the process.

:clap: :rock: :party2:

Bam.

They easily could've moved up...but then again, they probably want to win Junior Worlds. And is there any chance of them going to the Junior Olympics?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:clap: :rock: :party2:

Bam.

They easily could've moved up...but then again, they probably want to win Junior Worlds. And is there any chance of them going to the Junior Olympics?

They also technically have one season left (2016-2017) of junior eligibility. But I imagine that next season they want to do seniors.