Are figures completely gone? | Golden Skate

Are figures completely gone?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Just curious, are figures completely gone? Do any of today's skaters dabble in figures?
I'm watching old figure skating documentaries and am wondering if anyone does figures anymore, even just for fun?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just curious, are figures completely gone? Do any of today's skaters dabble in figures?
I'm watching old figure skating documentaries and am wondering if anyone does figures anymore, even just for fun?
There are people around my rink that do figures. Youll see them at public skates and during alotted "freestyle" times. i think there is a thread somewhere here about the upcoming World Figures Championship which I know nothing about.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist

I don't know what exactly was done in figures when it was part of the competitions. But in my rink we do some of it during practice. It is not in competitions anymore but I think it is good for a skating technique and overall SS. You can use it later during step sequence. But I don't know the situation between elite skaters.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

samson

Medalist
Wow I love that they have Janet Lynn and Trixi Schuba both judging. Almost ironic, but also I have to imagine a great honor to compete with both of them as judges.

inskate

On the Ice

Mao Asada enjoys practicing figures. In an interview about a year ago she said she has a compulsory figures app on her phone and enjoys mastering them in her free time, as well as inventing her own patterns.
There's an Instagram video of her practicing figures in Europe, posted by Alexa von Canisius: https://instagram.com/alexavoncanisius/
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to post a direct link, but if you scroll down, you should eventually see the video. Its in 21st row counting from the top.

I think there was a video of Mao and Daisuke doing figures for fun while practicing for a show, but now I can't find it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Figures are an excellent way for a skater to practice control, edging and discipline somewhat. I really would not want them to be in competition again along with freestyle. It's great that they have their own competition. It always bothered me years ago that someone like Trixie Schuba could win a competition because she was a great 'figure' skater and skaters like Janet Lynn, who gave an absolutely beautiful performance, didn't win because their figures were not perfect. I always thought it was apples and oranges. But I do see the value in practicing them.

Celine

On the Ice
Wonder if they'll hold the event at an ungodly early hour, ... just for realism and old times sake :laugh2:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is an update of the current list of competitors:

Ladies
Jill Ahlbrecht
Nancy Blackwell-Grieder
Pamela Giangualano-Roberts
Tiffani Healey
Kami Healey-Netri
Sandy Lenz-Jackson
Maggie Licata Brothers
Tracey Mulherin
Doris Papenfuss
Brooke Pitman
Jennie Pitman
Mandy Sisson King
Jennifer Tieche
Charlene Wong

Men
Shepherd Clark
Dmitrii Pesykilev
Richard Swenning

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow I love that they have Janet Lynn and Trixi Schuba both judging. Almost ironic, but also I have to imagine a great honor to compete with both of them as judges.

Every word in your comment is true, true, true. :agree: