New Dance couple - Stavitskaia / Shibnev | Golden Skate

New Dance couple - Stavitskaia / Shibnev

Country
Russia
It is too early to make topic in "Fan Fests", so let it be here.

Known single skater Maria STAVITSKAIA (competed at GP Event Rostelecom-2014 http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2014/ as Lady, 7th place, landed 3Lz+3T both in SP and FS) now practices in Ice Dance with Anton SHIBNEV (in Junior Dance he competed at Ice Star http://www.figure.skating.by/competition/Ice_Star_2014_Int/index.htm 7th place).

Interview http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/22158.html
She told that loves Ice Dance and enjoys practice in Alexader Zhulin's group.

Couple practices in Dance from April 2015.

Twizzles Video https://instagram.com/p/4Oz24yQmUw/
Not so bad for new couple.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, lovely twizzles, especially that first position (don't think I've ever seen that). Rather weird to see such a strong technical ladies' skater switch to ice dance, although I suppose it is not as competitive as Russian pairs, and Maria sounds like she loves doing it which is the most important thing.

Country
Russia
Stavitskaia is too tall for pair skating - 168 cm according to ISU profile.
Known single Ladies who moved to Pairs - Katarina Gerboldt 163 cm, Valentina Marchei and Stefania Berton 161 cm.

Rare situation when single skater moves to dance.

Rather weird to see such a strong technical ladies' skater switch to ice dance
Russia has 4 World medalists, 5 Euro medalists, reigning champions of Olympics, Worlds, Euro, Junior Worlds in female skating. Also there are many strong Junior and Novice Ladies (Anastasia Gubanova landed 3Lz3Lo and 3Lz+3T+2T at JrNats-2015 FS being 12 years 2 months old).
Maria has only one medal of ISU competitions - bronze of JGP Event at 2012. Probably she solved that she has better chance in Ice Dance.

Alexander Zhulin told http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/1070-aleksandr-zhulin-my-znaem-svoi-plyusy-i-minusy.html that this season is for practicing of new couple, and at 2016/2017 season he waits real results. And he hopes that in this (2015/2016) season "they will be noticed, and the couple will be remembered".

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I will patiently await the day that Stavitskaia makes another appearance at the senior level. Twizzles looking good. :agree:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hope getting worlds sd tech minimum isn't as tortuously difficult for them as its for presumed talented ice dancers s/k!

Layback11

Record Breaker
If they get married they can be the Shibs II :laugh2:*

*In this case, Shibs standing for Shibnevs, not Shibutanis

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they get married they can be the Shibs II :laugh2:*

*In this case, Shibs standing for Shibnevs, not Shibutanis

I really think people might :shocked: if there was a thread at GS about the Shibs wedding :laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No there is not...that is very messed up...(also, I have decided that Alex is going to end up with another skater.)

I know nothing about Game of Thrones? :confused:

AlexRus: thank you for starting this thread. It should be fascinating to follow the transformation of Maria into an Ice Dancer. Good luck to her. :cheer:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I know nothing about Game of Thrones? :confused:

AlexRus: thank you for starting this thread. It should be fascinating to follow the transformation of Maria into an Ice Dancer. Good luck to her. :cheer:

I don't either but I think they were trying to say they'd be a little shocked because they thought it was referring to a sibling team.

bramweld

Record Breaker
gmyers, give it a rest. s/k took on material that was just too difficult for them last season, this season they should fare better. Besides this thread is about Maria and Shibnev.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know I've said it before in other threads, but now that there is a dedicated thread, I will say it again.

I really liked Maria Stavitskaia. She is going to be a big loss to Singles skating.

But, with the Ladies field being so deep in Russia, it is probably wise for her to get out of the lion's den.

Personally, I would have preferred Stavitskaya to stay in Singles and switch to representing her homeland (she's Ukrainian). But given the current relations between Russia and the Ukraine, I'm not surprised she didn't opt for that move. It could have turned out very messy!

Even though I may not think that this is the best move for her, I wish Maria all the best for this new adventure.

CaroLiza_fan

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I know I've said it before in other threads, but now that there is a dedicated thread, I will say it again.

I really liked Maria Stavitskaia. She is going to be a big loss to Singles skating.

But, with the Ladies field being so deep in Russia, it is probably wise for her to get out of the lion's den.

Personally, I would have preferred Stavitskaya to stay in Singles and switch to representing her homeland (she's Ukrainian). But given the current relations between Russia and the Ukraine, I'm not surprised she didn't opt for that move. It could have turned out very messy!

Even though I may not think that this is the best move for her, I wish Maria all the best for this new adventure.

CaroLiza_fan

Why would she want to switch to Ukraine? She's been leaving in Russia since childhood, probably don't know any Ukrainian and the fact that she was born in Ukraine doesn't make her ethnically Ukrainian. Plus, not a lot of people are willing to skate for another country. People are often not willing to relocate to find better jobs, and to expect a 17 year old to switch countries in order to skate? :shrug: I really don't understand why she would even consider it regardless the conflict between countries.

I do not think she's a great loss to singles in Russia. She struggled with injuries and had not shown any significant results. But she's lovely and nice and has the intention to do what it takes to succeed in dance. I hope she opted for this decision last year, than she would have had more time. But later is better than never, I guess! Judging by the way she talks about ice dance, she's willing to work hard.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Why would she want to switch to Ukraine? She's been leaving in Russia since childhood, probably don't know any Ukrainian and the fact that she was born in Ukraine doesn't make her ethnically Ukrainian. Plus, not a lot of people are willing to skate for another country. People are often not willing to relocate to find better jobs, and to expect a 17 year old to switch countries in order to skate? :shrug: I really don't understand why she would even consider it regardless the conflict between countries.

Really? People relocate and find better jobs in other countries all the time. I would imagine for the young & mobile, it would be even easier to consider.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I do not think she's a great loss to singles in Russia. She struggled with injuries and had not shown any significant results. But she's lovely and nice and has the intention to do what it takes to succeed in dance. I hope she opted for this decision last year, than she would have had more time. But later is better than never, I guess! Judging by the way she talks about ice dance, she's willing to work hard.

You make some good points. And I admit that I do not have a full picture of her career, as I have never been a follower of Junior competitions.

So maybe I am being biased because of how impressed I have been with her this season. But I really did think Maria had a lot of potential as a singles skater.

True, Maria didn't have much chance of becoming a regular member of the Russian team as a singles skater. But, if she was willing to make the switch to the Ukrainian team, she would have had a great chance of getting regular international selections. (And, let's face it, Popova needs some competition to push her to take the next step up).

But, that is all academic now. She has made her choice, and I wish her all the best with it.

From what I have seen from Maria, I am sure she will make the most of this opportunity. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Really? People relocate and find better jobs in other countries all the time. I would imagine for the young & mobile, it would be even easier to consider.

Yeh, that's true! and I can relate because in my less than 30year old life I've already changed 4 cities, 2 countries and 2 continents. I should have phrased it differently. What I meant is that people often do not want to move because they are attached to their home or city or country even if moving to a different place means getting a better job or better living conditions. I don't see why Maria should consider it. She has a nice life in Russia with all her friends and parents support. Why would she want to leave? I would understand the move if she had had better placement in Russian team, but she didn't. And the move seems totally unnecessary to me.

CaroLiza_fan, you are totally right - Popova does need a competition and I do really hope she would get some! Meanwhile I want Maria to rock it in ice dance. I follow her on Instagram and she's such a lovely and cute young lady with funny personality!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Yeh, that's true! and I can relate because in my less than 30year old life I've already changed 4 cities, 2 countries and 2 continents. I should have phrased it differently. What I meant is that people often do not want to move because they are attached to their home or city or country even if moving to a different place means getting a better job or better living conditions. I don't see why Maria should consider it. She has a nice life in Russia with all her friends and parents support. Why would she want to leave? I would understand the move if she had had better placement in Russian team, but she didn't. And the move seems totally unnecessary to me.

Wow! You have really moved about, Pippuripihvi.

I can relate to the point you are making, because I have lived in the same town (and the same house!) my whole life. I live in the centre of a town of just over 10,000 people, located in a rural area. But I would not consider myself a country person. So I was surprised when I went to University in the capital city, 60 miles away, and found it was a real culture shock. Belfast may only be a small city, but it was just too big for me. And I missed home, and my family. Thankfully, for the first 2 years of my course (which I loved, by the way!), I only actually needed to be down there for 3 days a week, and was able to come home for the rest of the week.

So, I couldn't see me moving to a different country for a job.

But, if you have connections like Maria does, you don't actually have to live in a country to represent them. Look at Brooklee Han, who (as far as I know) has lived her whole life in a totally different continent to the country she is representing.

CaroLiza_fan, you are totally right - Popova does need a competition and I do really hope she would get some! Meanwhile I want Maria to rock it in ice dance. I follow her on Instagram and she's such a lovely and cute young lady with funny personality!

Phew! At least I'm not the only one that thinks that. Natalia was showing so much potential a few years back, but she has really stagnated since then. I am a great believer that if there are 2 good skaters competing for one slot, that it pushes them both forwards. (Which is why I was also advocating Nikol Gosviani switching to Georgia, to help both her and Elene Gedevanishvili get back on track).

But, let's not get too hung up on this. Maria's a Dancer now, so let's look forward to seeing what she can do with her new partner. ;)

And yes, she does strike you as being an absolutely lovely girl. Which just makes you like her even more, and want her to do well even more! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
Country
Russia

Maria's results http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00013732.htm
She was twice at 11th place at Senior Nats, and she had not real progress for three seasons.

She is very nice and pretty girl, and I believe she has a real chance to good results at Ice Dance.