Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee? | Golden Skate

Any advice/tips for a first time World's attendee?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
So, after 30+ years of being a total skating fanatic, I'm finally taking the plunge and going to World's in Boston next year. I'm so beyond excited I can't put it into words!! I have little idea of what to expect on practical levels, given figure skating isn't a huge sport here in Ireland, and would love any advice any of you good people could offer, be it what temperature conditions are like at an arena and therefore what to wear etc and what catering tends to be like at these places.

Are practices worth attending? Also, given the expense of travelling and accommodation, I was considering getting my all events ticket for the end as opposed the side of the arena to save money - how restricted is the view from such a vantage point?

So, basically anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

noskates

Record Breaker
Practices are very worth attending - if they're allowed. Sometimes you have to buy tickets to attend them. The only place I don't like to sit is too close to the ice. It's nice if the skater is right in front of you but you miss the ends somewhat - especially in pairs and ice dance. We usually try to be at least 10 rows off the ice. The arena isn't warm but it also isn't cold. I usually take a long-sleeved sweatshirt or sweater and wear socks. Food at these events is generally expensive and you don't have a lot of choices. But again - it depends on the venue. Nationals in Boston last year I thought I was going to end up with scurvy! Nachos, hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, pizza and a $16.00 turkey sandwich. TD Gardens is above a train station and they did have a McDonalds and a Dunkin' Donut shop in the train lobby and you could get a salad at McD's. There isn't anywhere around the Gardens to eat without taking a taxi. If you do decide to go to the practice rink, unless they change the site, it's a taxi ride away and there isn't much seating.

For Nats in Boston we were middle ice in the 14th row and it was perfect. BUT, I don't honestly think you can get a bad seat in the venue unless you're way up high. End seats are interesting because you can see things develop but you do miss the other end somewhat. Bring binoculars.

charmblade

Final Flight
I've never been to Worlds before but i live in Boston and attended Nationals at the Garden. Just to add to what noskates said, there is also a Qdoba across the street from the Garden as well as a couple pizza places and some pubs either across the street or in very easy walking distance. Obviously these places should be cheaper than your in-arena concessions. The building was extremely cold for Nationals, so be prepared to bundle up. I believe they have said that the practices at the secondary rink will not be available for spectators unless you win one of the Golden Tickets that they have been giving away in various social media contests. I would guess that all the Garden practice sessions should still be open for all-event ticket holders. I attended just one practice session at Nationals, for the ladies, and it was fun. You get to see the skaters in a more casual setting and i got to sit really close to the rink so you get a better vantage point than normal. It's not exactly the riveting drama of competition but it's a nifty somewhat behind the scenes look.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I've never been to worlds and I'm not sure yet if I'll go (I'm definitely going to SA and it might be hard to fund two expensive events in one year), but I went to the 2015 US champs and the first piece I'd give you is, stay at the official hotel! I know a lot of you have already met scores of skaters multiple times, but if you haven't (I hadn't at the time), it's the best opportunity you will ever get to do so if you stay in the lobby for a while after the events. Second, if you're a health-conscious individual like me, don't be afraid to leave the arena to get food-if time is your concern, trust me, ice cuts take FOREVER at these things, and if laziness is your concern, while, you really can't be helped. So don't stay at the rink all day if you don't want to eat six cheeseburgers/nachos/buckets of fried chicken (all over the place in Greensboro) in one weekend. Third, take some pictures if photography is allowed, but don't let it distract you from the event-you want to see it firsthand, not with a camera; isn't that why you came instead of watching it on TV? :laugh2: My final advice is to get the cheapest hotel room (if you can get discount codes, even better), the cheapest seats on the cheapest flight, and really the cheapest everything-except seats. No matter what you have to skimp on to do it, get the best seats you can possibly afford, because this opportunity will never come again. (Although, you probably shouldn't eat fast food for every meal to save money-there are limits.) And I found it thoroughly improved the experience to take notes on each program and tweet in to try to get on the jumbotron. :laugh2:

Hope this helps!

edenlover

On the Ice
Lots of competitors at Worlds, so the events can be long. Read the schedule of skaters for each event, so you don't miss your favorites; circle their names and times. If you're like me, you probably will want to see as many as you can, but you do need time to eat! I haven't been to a WC since 1987 in Cincinnati, and I still recall just about everything... Also, splurge and buy the program, as there is a lot of interesting and useful information in it. I still have mine from Cincy, with beautiful pictures of Boitano, Orser, Witt, and Debbie Thomas in it. Well worth the money.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
A good still Video Camera is your best friend. Forget about Photographic camera unless you have a decent camera, it just waste alot of time. It will make your experience better and unique from revisiting the experience, but don't get carried away with fiddling with it otherwise you will miss out on what is most important right in front of you. Nothing beat live experience, feel the crowd, the energy, the ambiance and live vantage view.

Visit the practices, it is when some skaters go all out and don't let fear of competition handicap them. It shows potentials. At the same time, some may perform more muted than they would at competition, it shows how much more they are able to raise their game at competitive level, and separate the winners from the mere contenders. It add extra insight and intrigue when watching them do it when it count.

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
This is great stuff guys, keep the tips coming! Getting my arena seats this weekend so will think about end or side seats between now and then. I'm already overly excited!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Lots of competitors at Worlds, so the events can be long. Read the schedule of skaters for each event, so you don't miss your favorites; circle their names and times. If you're like me, you probably will want to see as many as you can, but you do need time to eat! I haven't been to a WC since 1987 in Cincinnati, and I still recall just about everything... Also, splurge and but the program, as there is a lot of interesting and useful information in it. I still have mine from Cincy, with beautiful pictures of Boitano, Orser, Witt, and Debbie Thomas in it. Well worth the money.

Ah! That cute jazzy piano short program of G/G...love it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY! Sorry, you probably already knew that, but seriously, if you take a camera and it has a flash, make sure it is turned off. It's dangerous for the skaters, distracting for the judges, and might even get you kicked out (I don't know how they'll be at a Worlds about it). CHECK YOUR VIDEOCAMERA ALSO! Some videocameras or recording devices - iPads do this too! - have a light that comes on at the front while you're recording, which is just as distracting and really, really annoying.

Agreed with checking the division lengths. I think it was this year's Worlds where the Ladies' SP went for SEVEN HOURS. But also, if you can, watch ALL the groups. Don't be one of those fans who comes and goes only for favourites or big names; those from the little countries, lower down the start order, earned their spots there too, and there can be some real gems, some of whom you may never have seen before.

If you plan on bringing a sign, check the TD Garden's regulations for size limits and also check with the organising committee.

If you plan on throwing anything, make sure nothing can break, spill, or cause other problems. If in doubt, wrap in cellophane! And don't throw bags of lollies or anything without additional reinforcement. Make sure it's also of a reasonable size, or brightly wrapped/labelled, so that the sweepers can see it.

The official website has links to the official hotels, with special discount rates if you book directly from those links.

And last, get ready to have the time of your life. It will be my first Worlds, too, and I can hardly wait.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Go to the practices at the big arena on the day before the event! (You can go to practices at other times too, but don't count on all the athletes to show up super early in the morning or at a different practice arena).

1. Skaters, coaches, former skaters, etc. sometimes come sit in the arena among the audience during practices. (If it's your first worlds, I'd bring binoculars so you can scope out all the famous skaters & coaches in various parts of the arena during break times. They also just might sit right next to you).

2. You can generally sit wherever you want during practices so go sit on the judges' side of the arena. Since most of the choreography--especially in ice dance--faces the judges, practices are your best opportunity to watch the best part of the choreography.

3. Don't expect anyone to do their jumps--especially the big ones--during the practices while the music is running. If you do, you'll be disappointed. Most athletes jump before & after their music and just do their choreo and a couple easy jumps with the music. (Frank's athletes just might really jump during the program;). And if you're lucky, one or two other athletes).

4. Don't expect the vendors to be open & running during the practices. Usually you can buy coffee, but anything else is a plus. As someone mentioned above, I think TE Garden has a bit more available than most arenas because of the station on the lower level. (I like to bring a coat with inside pockets & fill them with trail mix, dried fruit, chocolate . . .). Arena food & water are obviously expensive & add up to a lot by the time Worlds is over.

5. Wear layers. Bring your coat. I like to bring a sweatshirt & a blanket too. You won't need a blanket when the house is full, but it's much colder during practices before people are filling the seats. Also, the Boston arena has cold air that blows down on you at random times. (Seriously, we were there with what they were calling "blizzard-conditions" outside during Nationals, and it still felt like an air conditioner was on inside the arena. So HAPPY Worlds is in the Spring. But it doesn't matter. We wore coats even in L.A. because the longer you sit near the ice, the colder it gets.)

6. If you're staying at a hotel, it's worth it to scope out the subway route to & from the arena in advance. The lines for the shuttles after an event can be a pain, and the Boston subway ran smoothly while we were there.

7. Start orders are usually available somewhere on the concourse before the competition--look for lots of people crowding around a table & walking away with white papers in their hands. Arenas also usually run out so get your starting order early or just print it off online in your hotel & bring it with you. Also--if you can get your hands on a media guide, they're awesome. Rare. But more details! It's worth asking.

8. Aspirin doesn't hurt.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
6. If you're staying at a hotel, it's worth it to scope out the subway route to & from the arena in advance. The lines for the shuttles after an event can be a pain, and the Boston subway ran smoothly while we were there.

The LOC has already said there won't be a shuttle this year because of the apparently excellent public transport (the T, I think they call it?) in Boston.

Agreed with the layers. I have two pairs of 300 denier tights that I save especially for skating comps. Add socks, and nothing wrong with a pair of legwarmers! And whatever you do, don't forget gloves.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I may be going, so I just want to know: what's the weather like in Boston in April?

In Greensboro it was about 35 degrees and didn't snow, but we didn't go outside much, so the same strategy might work. Inside the rink was okay because I'm a skater, so I'm used to ice rink temperatures, and usually I didn't need my jacket. But even so, I live in the desert, so cold is not my forte, even with skating. (I like to say I can work out in 95-degree heat any day, but put me in snow and I'll probably die. :laugh2:)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
I may be going, so I just want to know: what's the weather like in Boston in April?

In Greensboro it was about 35 degrees and didn't snow, but we didn't go outside much, so the same strategy might work. Inside the rink was okay because I'm a skater, so I'm used to ice rink temperatures, and usually I didn't need my jacket. But even so, I live in the desert, so cold is not my forte, even with skating. (I like to say I can work out in 95-degree heat any day, but put me in snow and I'll probably die. :laugh2:)

April in Boston was a bit of a roller coaster ride this year. In general you'll see temps from mid 40s to low 60s.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice

April in Boston depends on the day. I'm from MA and the average is like 50 degrees.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a big difference between US Nationals and Worlds. Nationals is a much more grueling affair, lasting a week or more, with as many as 6 events per day. Nationals Senior singles SPs may not be quite as long as international SPs (usually a maximum of 24 skaters), but they are part of a long event day (last year, all the senior SPs were held on one day). Finding a time gap to schedule a meal can be difficult when events follow quickly one after another.

Worlds lasts 4-5 days, depending on the venue, with the exhibition held on an additional day. There is a maximum of two events per day, and the singles short programs (35 skaters each) are never held on the same day. Of course the problem is that everyone will be jamming the food courts between events, and then departing the arena at the same time every day, which means there will be a crush around the arena with everyone looking for places to eat.

I went to Nationals in Boston in 2014 and am going to Nationals in St Paul this year and then to Worlds in Boston. That will blow my budget for the next two years for sure.

One thing I've noticed from watching Worlds on the internet, particularly when it's held in Europe: people bring those darned horns and blow them all the time! I hope that doesn't happen in Boston, because it can do serious damage to one's hearing.

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
Keep in that we're talking early April, so it might very well be pretty cold. We had a pretty late spring this year, and in early April there was still several feet of snow on the ground, but then we did get record-breaking snowfall this winter so that better not repeat next year.

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh rats - I forgot about those horns Chuck. Horrible. there was somebody behind us at 2014 Nats that had an airhorn and that was pretty disturbing. My biggest problem that year was it took us 3 days to get to Boston because Jet Blue shut down after the big storm. We were supposed to fly out of SFO early Sunday morning and didn't actually get to Boston until Tuesday afternoon late - with a sleepover in Dallas. Frustrating. We were within walking distance of TD Garden (The Onyx Hotel) and had to cruise through ice and snow.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Thanks again everyone! Got my seating email finally and am thrilled with the seats I got, I got section four end loge, right beside the seats that are more than $500 more expensive and on the judges' side of the rink so the best of all worlds! Have even been sad enough to trace the route to the arena from my hotel on Google street view maps and it looks like it can't be any more than ten minutes of a walk. I'm sure my giddy excitement will dissipate a little before the event and revive again closer to the time but I'm going to enjoy it a little bit longer and count down to the Grand Prix season!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Wanted to put this in the Edge as well:

The schedule for Worlds in Boston is now available.

http://worlds2016.com/schedule/

Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Short Dance
10:00 AM – 3:17 PM

Opening Ceremonies
5:00 PM – 5:45PM

Men’s Short Program
6:00 PM – 10:56PM

Thursday, March 31, 2016
Ladies Short Program
12:15 PM – 5:53PM

Free Dance
7:30 PM – 10:49PM

Friday, April 1, 2016
Pairs Short Program
1:15 PM – 4:46PM

Men’s Free Skate
6:45 PM – 10:52 PM

Saturday, April 2, 2016
Pairs Free Skate
12:54 PM – 3:53PM

Ladies Free Skate
7:00 PM – 10:55 PM

Sunday, April 3, 2016
Exhibition of Champions
2:00 PM – 4:15 PM

Practices
Release Date:
Late Fall 2015

Schedule is subject to change.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oooooh excellent. I'll get a full day in Boston before the competition starts.

Also, the men's LP on April Fools Day. *cringe*