Who are the skaters you respect most and why? | Golden Skate

Who are the skaters you respect most and why?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
With posters from everywhere and mostly young now at Golden Skate I wondered who might be left to go back to the beginning and answer this in a historic way.

Since I don't know much about male skaters pre Dick Button I would start with him as far as the men go. First is that he had technical prowess. And he had fabulous skating skills. I think he was also very honest in his assessment, unafraid to stand up for beauty in the sport he so loved. His commentary was great because he taught viewers and knew all the skaters that came before or after. I didn't always like his manner or agree but I truly respected his accomplishments and knowledge. As far as men go who do you look up to and why? Other disciplines are ok too if it isn't too ambitious.

Weathergal

Medalist
OK, I'm not old enough that I was around when Dick Button was in his skating prime, but the skater that first got me hooked was Dorothy Hamill. (I'm not "older than dirt" though, right...?) :eek::

I'm commenting more on skater's general personalities and off-ice actions because if I were to list skaters whose skating I admire, it would be very long indeed!

I admire Dick Button also. I appreciate his dedication to figure skating and the high standards he set. I know that some found his commentary abrasive at times, and I can understand that, but I always felt that his comments came from the standpoint of wanting skaters to perform up to their potential and skating itself to be its best. I found him fascinating to listen to. I learned so much about skating from him! And he could be so charming and so cutting all in the same two hours of commentary! I have to confess I loved it all! One of the things I really liked about him is that he could celebrate not just skating's stars but also lesser talented skaters and see the good things they all brought to the sport.

Other skaters I admire:
Paul Wylie, Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi. They conduct themselves in a classy manner and have had success both in and out of skating.

Yu-Na Kim. Always gracious and very generous. Also dedicated to mentoring the new generation of skaters from her country.

Jason Brown. So humble, so sweet. A true people person!

Lots more, but that's a good place to start.

OK, I'm not old enough that I was around when Dick Button was in his skating prime, but the skater that first got me hooked was Dorothy Hamill. (I'm not "older than dirt" though, right...?) :eek::

If you were born before 1966 you can say you are older than Astroturf. :)

For the men, I admire Scott Hamilton for what he accomplished after his competing days were done. When the Ice Capades told him that no one was interested in men's figure skating, he jumped up and founded Stars on Ice. As a skating entrepreneur, impresario, and cheerleader he is one of a kind.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I respect the dedication and endurance of ALL figure skaters...what they do is beautiful and entertaining and makes my life better.
Yes, you too Patrick. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I respect the skaters who do what they can and don't make excuses when it isn't their best.

I also respect the classy ones-those who show true sportsmanship and dignity under all circumstances, remain humble and grounded, and watch their mouths (both in person, on TV and on social media).

I might get hated on for this, but I don't care: I really, truly respect the skaters who dress modestly. There are SOOOO many skating costumes that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination, and it's so great to see that somebody is dignified enough to cover up more on the ice-and believe me, it looks better!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This sounds like a contradiction while I admire the classy, good sportsmanship, honourable, people pleasers who say and do the right things I have a lot of respect for those people who say it as it is or their opinion. For the truth is a lot of what athletes say and do is often what they are taught or know is expected of them. Let's be honest, when the rare time someone who is such a legend and icon like Michelle Kwan loss she was not happy and sometimes she may have or probably felt cheated, mad etc. Skaters like Orser, Kwan, Davis and White, Liz Manley, Joannie Rochette, Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Wylie, Eldridge are all classy skaters. I think I admire skaters who truly came from adverse situations not making of their own. Those who truly came from financially challenged backgrounds and often those aren't the skaters who medal - there was a Canadian skater who went to a few world's and she came from a family of 9 or some large number and she worked as a waitress to skate competitively, the orphan waif story of Oksana Baiul, Elena B coming back from that devastating injury where should couldn't walk or talk for a while, Elisabeth Punsalan coming back to skate at the Olympics two weeks after her father's murder by her brother, Nancy Kerrigan skating well after being attacked, Joannie Rochette skating fiercely despite losing her mom just two days before her Olympic skates, Maria B the forgotten and unwanted Russian lady, Mirai Nagausu after being not selected to the Olympic or world team despite placing third at her nationals, Tai and Randy who lost their Olympic dream due to injury, Karyn Cadavy who dropped out at the Olympics because of the flu (it is amazing what you can find on youtube and the internet - such sad stories - you don't have to be "experienced" to find out about some of these heart wrenching stories), I think too much but in 1994 when they allowed the pros to come back one has to think of the many lives affected - how many Russian pairs did not get to skate at the Olympics because Mishnituenek (butchered name) and Dimitriev and Gordeeva and Grinkov returned and how the Canadian pair go pushed down to bronze you just have to respect and feel for the "lost" skaters; Torvill and Dean's return and how they seemed to be stuck in the 80s from another era and how that affected the podium my respect goes out to those whose lives were affected especially the other British skaters and those who may have podiumed but for the return T and D, even though they weren't my favourite skaters the pure competitive toughness of Evan Lycaek and Katarina Witt who may not be really that great skaters but were top competitors, The American skaters who lost their lives in that tragic plane crash all earned my respect.

Imagine

Medalist
I'll say Arakawa Shizuka for her understated, but often-manifesting-when-most-important perseverance. As a 16 year old, she got to represent her country at a home Olympics...how exciting! Unfortunately, next to the likes of the ladylike Michelle Kwan, and the dynamo that was Tara Lipinkski, she was just another face in the crowd...a very awkward, gawky face in the crowd. And artistry? Basically...none. It didn't help that she collapsed under the pressure, and didn't impress technically either. Still it seemed like she some potential and could really go places with some polishing. Then of course, the 2002 Olympics came along and it was another young Japanese skater who would peak at just the right time. At what was supposed to be the height of career, Shizuka was quickly on her way to becoming yesterday's news. If she had given up right and ended her competitive career right there, it would have been completely understandable and reasonable. The fact that she did not just illustrates what I find so admirable about her. Her work ethic must have been insane during the proceeding period, with university studies and whatnot competing for time with skating. What is truly remarkable is how quickly she actually improved things like expression and artistry. Year to year, the changes were actually quite drastic. By 2003, for example, you could see a seasoned artiste start to emerge with performances like this Titanic routine (RIP James Horner). Two years after being outskated for a spot on the Olympic team, she was World Champion. Who would've thunk? Even when more gifted, youthful, and charismatic wunderkinds like Mao Asada and Miki Ando began to appear on the scene, she just focused on herself. She set the goals, made the smart decisions, figured out what worked best for her, and then she just went out and got the job done. I respect the first and foremost the tenacity she's embodied over the years, and secondly the levelheadedness she's maintained throughout. All this of course translates for some into the most boring, impressionable, and disappointing Olympic Champion of all time. For me, Arakawa Shizuka is just an inspiration, not even as a figure skater, but as someone who overcomes the odds and perseveres...cliche as that may be. Even today, one can observe her incredible work ethic and passion for her craft in her show skating. She still has the triples (or I think she did very recently until she had the baby) with those beautifully crisp landings. Basically, yeah she's real clutch skater with two real major titles...but how she came to achieve those two titles should be an inspiration to all. I just can't help but respect someone who in the back of everyone's minds is a lost cause, and then comes out to silence all the doubters.

Other skaters I respect...Mao for her perseverance over her struggles (and there's a video too lol), Sasha Cohen and her innovative spirit, Adelina for remaining above all the gross, insignificant trolls, and for other reasons...Yulia, Yuna, Elizaveta, Yuzuru, Miki....and probably more I can't think of. They're all great.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I respect all skaters, from the little ones wobbling around on the ice to the superstars sweeping the stage, for their hard work, their courage, their strength.

The long hours on the ice, the harsh conditions of cold and solid, the falls, the repetition, the blood and sweat and tears that go into the making of that magic moment they all hope to have...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko, of course.

- his longevity (he was a prodigy)
- his achievements-he is the most decorated champion in FS history.
- he improved the FS, he had impact on FS( he has some "first" things, some records in FS history)
- I admire him as a person ( Almost every day I read every news on him since 2010. He inspires me and I'm not the only one)
- he is honest, sincere and he remained a normal person despite the fact he is one of the greatest stars in Russia, he received so many adoration in his life.
- he is very talented whatever he is doing
- he had so many injuries but he could/can be on the top
- he is very loyal to the loved ones

But do you now what? This video montage tells everything about him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw Impressive Quotes of Evgeni Plushenko

But I agree with Newbiespectator and karne I admire almost every skater. But I mentione some of them

Mao Asada
Yuna Kim
G/G
Oxana Baiul
Rodnina

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I basically respect all skaters for what they do and their perseverance in doing it, but the ones I have the MOST respect for are those skaters-turned-coaches who went on to impact the sport in a huge way: Nicks, Carroll, Mishin, Moskvina, Yao Bin and many more (although those are the big 5 that come to mind for me.)

As these coaches are all of an older generation, it'll be interesting to see how/if younger, up and coming coaches become legends in time. Will Nina Mozer ever be as important or influential as Moskvina? Will Kori Ade become the new Frank Carroll? Legendary coaches changed the sport in a huge way through the training of their many athletes and champions, and I have so much respect for that creativity and intelligence.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I basically respect all skaters for what they do and their perseverance in doing it, but the ones I have the MOST respect for are those skaters-turned-coaches who went on to impact the sport in a huge way: Nicks, Carroll, Mishin, Moskvina, Yao Bin and many more (although those are the big 5 that come to mind for me.)

As these coaches are all of an older generation, it'll be interesting to see how/if younger, up and coming coaches become legends in time. Will Nina Mozer ever be as important or influential as Moskvina? Will Kori Ade become the new Frank Carroll? Legendary coaches changed the sport in a huge way through the training of their many athletes and champions, and I have so much respect for that creativity and intelligence.

Orser!

gotoschool

Medalist
Such a great thread with so many thoughtful comments. This turned into my favorite stories of redemption and respect:

I thought of Rudy Galindo winning Nationals at home in San Jose, California (1995-1996) with such a profoundly moving and perfectly executed freeskate at Nationals to Swan Lake after losing his father, a brother and his coach all in the two years prior and after finishing 8th in Nationals the prior year.

I think of Mao Asada who thought about retiring after losing her mother and having difficulties reworking her jumps and then changed her mind with the enlightenment from Lori Nichol's Mary Poppins. Then, just when all seemed set for success with so many Grand Prix victories, a back injury and a 3rd place finish at Nationals with a difficult LP and then mistakes in her SP at Sochi. And then she surpassed what many, including me as a fan, thought was even possible in a freeskate when she moved a mountain of emotions while still putting on a dazzling athletic display in her Sochi LP and still fulfilling her dream of executing the triple axel in the Olympics yet again.

Midori Ito in the 1992 Olympics after failing in the triple axel in the SP and on her first attempt in the freeskate to still have the guts to go for it again near the end of the program and land it to be the first woman in history to do it.

Lu Chen and Butterfly Lovers in the 1998 Olympics after finishing 25th in Worlds the previous year and coming back with such an incredibly moving artistic performance.

Denise Biellmann in addition to my respect and love for the spin she popularized, her ability to put final placement aside and give what to me was the best freeskate I had ever seen by a lady in my life up until that time in the 1980 Lake Placid Games. Musical, athletic, inspiring and cutting edge.

There are more like Evgeni Plushenko and Maxim Trankov for saying what they really think and for being great performers. There are others but I have to stop sometime.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nobunari Oda, so talented, with such bad luck and sometimes bad counting skills. One would think he'd have plenty of reason to bemoan his fate and become bitter...but he overcame his set-backs, entertained audiences, and is still doing it now. His post-retirement career and family life entertains all of Japan. (he's always eating delicious, fattening food but never gains any weight)
When I see his face on a carton of milk, I remember to smile at the world and it will smile back.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I respect all the skaters who stick it to the haters and continue doing what they love, even if it comes at the expense of ridicule, poor results, injuries, etc. It's not an easy sport and there are some harsh criticisms from those who have barely laced up skates let alone achieved an elite level.

And of course all the Japanese skaters for their humility, even when they become hugely successful - the rest of the world should take note.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Well, Scott Hamilton, of course. For what he did for professional skating in the U.S. I remember attending my first skating event—one of those U.S. vs. the World events—and there were some great athletes there. (Nicole, Michelle, etc.) But no one came even close to winning the level of applause that Scott received just waving from the announcer’s booth. He really was a household name, and people remember him for his professional programs. That’s quite a feat. And now that he has stepped back from the professional scene, we really don’t have anyone who has managed to come even close to carrying the torch.

As for current athletes, I have to say Denis Ten. I mean—here’s this kid who starts skating in a country with essentially no figure skating infrastructure. He really has no choice but to leave if he wants to continue so he goes to Russia @age eleven. Trains & works with the best—Buianova & Tarasova—then has the guts to leave them behind & move to the U.S. where he trains with the best—Frank Carroll. Wins essentially nothing for five years on the senior circuit, which no one would think anything of for an athlete from Kazakhstan except that the kid is so damn gifted he manages to finish top eight in the world at age 15 at his first World Championships. Yet he can’t get on a senior Grand Prix podium or Junior World podium to save his life. Then pow! World silver, Olympic bronze, World bronze (two first-place world free skates).

And what is he doing? He’s pitching the Olympic bid committee to try to convince them to come hold the Winter Olympics in his hometown in his home country. The town he had to leave at the age of eleven. He's putting on his own show in his own country, and it’s not like he’s just lending his name to the enterprise. He frigging helped compose the music! After which, he’s running master class skating workshops for the kids in Kazakhstan. All of this on top of the fact that he re-upped. He’s skating the hardest programs of his career and gonna try and go another quad. I can think of a lot of athletes that travel the world in order to train, but to do everything he’s doing now for skating in his country while he’s still competing full-time.
:bow:

anyanka

Record Breaker
So many!

- Kwan: for her consistency, her performance, her competitive drive
- Hanyu: for his humbleness and respect for his competitors
- Kim: for her grace and her philanthropy (let's not bring up the split with Orser)
- Orser: for how he respects, trusts and trains his champions (and his brilliance as a showman)
- Browning: for his good humor and his showmanship
- Berezhnaya / Sikharudlize: for their compassion, their elegance, their enduring friendship years after their romantic and professional partnerships ended, and she especially for everything she's been through, she's a personal hero
- Moskvina: because if I don't she would kick my butt to St. Petersburg and back
- Kostner: for resilience and vocal love for her sport, investigation / ban be damned
- Buttle: for infectious playfulness and sheer joy
- Lambiel: for his ability to create art out of everything and nothing
- Asada: for her perseverance and technical superiority (I don't care if Shin Amano calls her out for alleged UR)
- Liza: for that comeback season, a true champion unfolded before our eyes this year

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nancy for incredible mental toughness and the drive to skate two clean performances- wonderful to watch. A great comeback- maybe best in sport.

Lucindah ruh for all she suffered to be spin queen and the beauty in every skate.

Hugely respect Bielmanns longevity and innovation as am and pro

Naya

On the Ice
I admire Alexey Urmanov a lot. He doesn't make the news very often these days, but I think there was something very "beautiful" and kind about his attitude when he was competing, facing difficulties on and off the ice calmly. I always will remember him as the "quiet Russian":) and the most elegant among the olympic champions from Russia, he seemed to be such a gentle person.