A new interview with Javier Fernandez! | Golden Skate

A new interview with Javier Fernandez!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Another new interview with Javi:

http://actualidad.rt.com/programas/entrevista/178852-entrevista-javier-fernandez-patinador-espanol

It's a half hour long and in Spanish, so I haven't attempted to watch it yet...

Thank you so much for posting the interview!

There are many things he’s said on previous interviews: how he felt when he won Worlds, the difficulties that skating faces in Spain, he explains a bit about the quad jump. He talks about how he started skating following his sister, how he ignored the stereotypes, about Morozov discovering him and leaving Spain at 17 on his own. How he parted ways with him and started training with Brian and how he developed a father-son-like relationship with him. He talked about his every-day routine, the costs (and how they’ve been reduced w/ sponsors), the process of preparing a program. His plans to compete in 2018 and getting a medal and how he wants to coach later on.

But there are some new things as well (or at least that I haven’t heard before): he said it’s an honor to be considered a pioneer in skating for Spain but he hopes that more Spanish skaters can compete and achieve even more than what he’s done. He said that the jumps have always been one of his strengths since he was young and that having 3 quads in his FS it’s something big since only 2 other skaters do it (I guess it’s Maxim and Yuzuru?). They don’t get dizzy with the quads but it can happen with the spins :biggrin: and that changing from 2 to 4 revolutions is not that much of a radical change (what?!). That he used to joke about how he was smarter than his friends or the guys from hockey because he was in a sport where he was surrounded by girls :laugh2: . He said that the only way that he can pay his parents back for all the sacrifices they’ve made is by doing well at the competitions.

He also said that the most important thing he took with him when he was with Morozov was the will to train, compete and improve constantly (and that Morozov didn’t ask for too much money since he knew Javier’s family wasn’t that well economically). He talked about the time he spent in Russia at a high-level facility, that he could spend 4 months without leaving the building because of the harsh winter. He said he doesn’t get nervous because of the placements, but because he wants to have a good performance that people can enjoy.

She asked Javier what was it like to be known in countries where FS is bigger (she said Russia) when that doesn’t happen in Spain. He said that he’s someone who really likes to interact closely with his fans and he tries to meet them when he goes to Russia, kind of like a dinner with friends. He said he thinks his closest rivals are Yuzuru and Denis. He’s talked about Yuzuru’s strengths many times but he also said Denis is very talented, slightly less consistent than Yuzuru but it’s very hard to beat him when he skates clean. He said that he could also count Plushenko in there because he’s a legend and that even though skating has changed he has adapted to it.

He’s said he’s competed sick and injured but he doesn’t have a chronic injury that could make it unable for him to skate. But he is afraid of a serious injury, but it’s something athletes have to live with.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
xibsuarz, you are amazing! :bow:

That is interesting that Javi credits Morozov with "discovering" him and that Morozov gave him a bit of a financial break. He tends to get a bad rap, and perhaps deservedly so for some things...but I think he does have his good qualities too. Well, people are complicated. And I don't think Javi would ever say a bad word about anyone.

Jenny and Dave talk a little bit about the Miki/Javi interview at the end of this video. I can't wait. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/OA8O_0WPreE?t=1107

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks so much xibsuarz for (again) translating for us. Wondering why Javier didn't mention Patrick as among his top competition when he did Evgeny who is also planning a comeback in this coming season. It may be plain oversight. And I agree with gallavich that Javier doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone nor a mean bone in his body. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for this, I wish him a lot of luck in the new season, Yuzuru has not done 3 quads in the FS yet and had to take it out after being injured, Kevin Reynolds is probably the other one although he has not competed in a while (ratified at 4CC 2013). His relationship with Brian Orser is really wonderful though, I remember Brian saying in an interview how he helped Javi set up internet and stuff when he first moved to Toronto. He also did his ice bucket challenge at Brian's cottage. I've heard from some people that students and coaches should maintain a strictly professional relationship, well I say, whatever works best for you! Some work, some don't, here Javi and Brian have a close one and it works just right.

I really hope he can win a medal in 2018 and then build figure skating in his home country like Denis is doing.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Thanks so much xibsuarz for (again) translating for us. Wondering why Javier didn't mention Patrick as among his top competition when he did Evgeny who is also planning a comeback in this coming season. It may be plain oversight. And I agree with gallavich that Javier doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone nor a mean bone in his body. :thumbsup:

Out of sight out of mind, I think. Patrick didn't compete last season and so Javier hasn't seen him for a long time, but he saw Plushy in Japan during shows, if I'm not mistaken, so they possibly talked about Javier's win and Plushy's comeback.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks a lot for link and translation! if i had a chance to spend time with a skater, javier would be one of them, he is great and fun! its good to see that he gives morozov credit for what he has done for Javi, charging less money and all, morozov doesnt have a lot of fan but i guess we cant ignore good things he did either. i hope we will see even better season and different programs from him next season ,i doubt he has any programs done to be honest; i think he hasnt been to Toronto since worlds , has he?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
HUGE thank you to xibsuarz:cheer2:
Lovely aomments about Zhenia, Morozov & Denis especially warmed my heart

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thanks you gallavich for the interview and xibsuarz for the amazing translation!

No matter what you think of his skating, it's impossible to not love Javi (and I love his skating too, so it's a double win for me :love: ). It's good to see him talking nicely about Morozov too. Although my favorite part was when he said he was smarter than his friends because he has more girls around him :laugh2:

IleK

On the Ice
Javier is like a child. He looks so innocent, good hearted and nice, and funny. I saw someone mentioned Miki. Are they still together? Because recently he posted some pictures with a bolnde girl on facebook and I didn't quite understand the relation between them.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Javier is like a child. He looks so innocent, good hearted and nice, and funny. I saw someone mentioned Miki. Are they still together? Because recently he posted some pictures with a bolnde girl on facebook and I didn't quite understand the relation between them.

I don't know which picture is it but yes, Javier and Miki are still together and going strong from what I've seen. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I think that TSL has an upcoming interview with the both of them?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Javi was also on a japanese comedy show, with Miki has his personal translator. Although most of the time they were teased about their relationship ;)