Rare photos of skaters in childhood | Golden Skate

Rare photos of skaters in childhood

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The one of Joshua and Jason is not so rare; I believe they are 12 years old in that picture, taken at Intermediate when they first shared a podium.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Alex Shibutani was the cutest baby omg, so chubby and round, thanks for sharing, I love this! Ashley really brings me back to the days when I also wore socks and sandals, phew I'm glad I'm past that

oriquey

Final Flight
Utterly adorable. I couldn't recognise some of them, but the ones I did recognise haven't changed much over the years.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx for the link, AlexRus. I enjoyed the photos, many of which were new gems to me :). If I had to pick one favorite, I think I would vote for Patrick's.

The one of Joshua and Jason is not so rare; I believe they are 12 years old in that picture, taken at Intermediate when they first shared a podium.

Agree that some of them are less "rare" than others. The one of Scott definitely is in Virtue/Moir's book; Tessa's also is very familiar (from their bk and/or elsewhere); Maia had posted Alex's on social media within the last few months.
[ETA, correction: It was Alex Shibutani himself who recently tweeted his own baby pic -- attached to a loving Happy Mother's Day :) msg.]​

But all in all, a nice batch of sweet young faces :).

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Made a quiz out of this - I got 21 out of 39 right, at least a little over half of them :biggrin:

They're all adorable, but DTen takes the cake for me. That's so cute and funny at the same time!

And if you put Elena I's text into the google translator, it says "Ilyin with his girldfriend Lena". No idea why, but that cracks me up :laugh2:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My only complaint about that article is that some of the photos they used are not terribly old. Probably because the skaters in question are not terribly old now...! :laugh:

On the whole, though, I enjoyed looking at the photos. It is amazing how little some of them have changed!

But, I'm surprised they missed this little cutie:

Guess who... :think:

Anna Ovcharova, of course!!!
Who else did you expect me to put in?! 😉

I was actually going to post a link to a photo of somebody else that had previously been linked to in the old Throwback Thursday Thread (which subsequently got re-named Throwback Tuesday, as it was revived on a Tuesday). But, unfortunately, the link to that particular photo (as well as a few others) no longer works. :disapp:

Hopefully I can find some more photos to share in this thread! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Great article!!! My school summer holidays started just today and it really fits into my relaxing mood :) So...some of my thoughts:
Tessa and Scott are like a child stars from some old movie, they are really cute :) Ruslan's face is interesting :D Both Lenas (Radionova and Ilinykh) didn't change much. They were beautiful back then, and they are even more now. I could say the same about Anna Pogorilaya. I agree that Anna Yanovskaya is looking like a doll. The biggest cuties are Alex Shibutani, Patrick Chan, Zhenia and Kaytlin Weaver with that face is amazing. I'm not sure about Max Kovtun's face? :D The first thing I noticed at the photo with Carolina Kostner is that they are on the outdoor rink. I'm the lover of warm, and even at the indoor rink I feel really cold. Just seeing that they are out just in the dress scares me!
But Julia killed it! :D :points: :rock: