Alexander Petrov: Plushenko Ready to Compete! | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov: Plushenko Ready to Compete!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

adelia

Record Breaker
Well, he basically said Plushenko can compete but whether Plushy will compete... is another matter.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, Liza said in an interview recently:

"'The first summer camp is starting from the 1st July to 10th July in the skiing resort Igora near St Petersburg. The focus will be on off-ice training. On the 13th July we are going to Turkey for on-ice training. We will be staying at the same hotel as Alexander Zulin’s group but I don’t think we are to train together. Evgeni Plushenko is going to Turkey but not to Igora. I know he is very determined'

Translation by melissa_ire here:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Tuktamysheva&p=1188692&viewfull=1#post1188692

Also:

https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/615846741976457216?p=v

Which Google translated as: Coming soon in theatres.

(ETA - Just to note: Hope that the tweet shows the picture I think it does - Instagram does not work for me.)

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
he was 'ready' to compete in Sochi and we all saw what happened there....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
he was 'ready' to compete in Sochi and we all saw what happened there....

Yes, three screws that were guaranteed for thirty years snapped as he warmed up, and he chose not to risk paralysis or death. How terrible of him.

Sounds like this young knight knows exactly who his King is. I like Petrov's skating - I hope he is not daunted by sharing the ice with Plushy, and all that goes with it. And I really, really hope that for his sake, the Russian press does not go near the "Next Plushenko" tag. Leave him to be the next Petrov, and have done with it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This interview with Mishin was just published today.

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/radiosportfm/800644.html

A. Drozdov: Slightly open the veil of secrecy in what is now the state of Eugene, and whether it is ready to act?

A. Mishin: Secrets, First no no, and second guessing for more than two years is very risky. You can talk about the intentions of two and a half years, that intention he saved and I think the state of which he is now shown on the demonstrations in Japan, where he is on every speech made several triple axel, doing good in training quads - it suggests that the probability of a successful performance, or at least a part in the next Olympics, of course.

A. Drozdov: Where do you get the motivation, because you have long proved everything to everyone?

A. Mishin: You know, the fact is that all the actions of extraordinary people can not be measured mediocre yardstick. Who made Louis Pasteur smallpox vaccinate yourself - nobody forced, and it seemed quite absurd action, but he made it. Who made Irina Rodnina back after giving birth? Who made Yuri Vlasov lifting 500 kilograms? No one is forced to have all these people were. Therefore, let us treat the pioneers with great respect, kindness, and with less sarcasm.

A. Drozdov: As health functional state skater?

A. Mishin: Health in general human sense of the word in Eugene perfect, but the high athletic performance is often accompanied by some variations. He had problems with his back, they are mostly gone, but some things have remained, we are with them purposeful struggle with the help of leading experts and our foreign clinics. Health and sports form - these things are interrelated, but to talk about the person whose activities are not related to this one is fantastic loads and activity athlete who enters the not yet come upon mankind in terms of the level of physical activity - is another matter. So in this way, doctors should accompany the athlete constantly and it does not mean that there is some kind of disease, it's just the medical support of the training process.

A. Drozdov: What competitions are going to take part in this season?

A. Mishin: Now we come to the beginning of the season and will make a decision. It is possible that the planning of the starts will be later, now I am afraid to talk about it, because it is unknown in what condition will the athlete. If the good - this one, and if the state does not allow a high level to represent our country, the start will be delayed.

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, three screws that were guaranteed for thirty years snapped as he warmed up, and he chose not to risk paralysis or death. How terrible of him.

Sounds like this young knight knows exactly who his King is. I like Petrov's skating - I hope he is not daunted by sharing the ice with Plushy, and all that goes with it. And I really, really hope that for his sake, the Russian press does not go near the "Next Plushenko" tag. Leave him to be the next Petrov, and have done with it.

Agreed! (I hate the constant search for "the next" whateveritis anyway - it puts undue pressure on people to no good end, for one thing; and yes, I also prefer that people are just left to be themselves.) "This young knight" - love it.:) I do get the impression that Petrov is very secure in himself, very... solid, for want of a better word. He doesn't want to "be" Plushy - but he's quite happy to learn from him. Also, he looks dissimilar enough from Plushy that I hope "the next" tag won't leap as easily to people's minds...

adelia

Record Breaker
This interview with Mishin was just published today.

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/radiosportfm/800644.html
Cryptic interview.

Agreed! (I hate the constant search for "the next" whateveritis anyway - it puts undue pressure on people to no good end, for one thing; and yes, I also prefer that people are just left to be themselves.) "This young knight" - love it.:) I do get the impression that Petrov is very secure in himself, very... solid, for want of a better word. He doesn't want to "be" Plushy - but he's quite happy to learn from him. Also, he looks dissimilar enough from Plushy that I hope "the next" tag won't leap as easily to people's minds...
Certainly no shortage of confidence on Sasha's part.

It's also not possible to be "the next xxx" when there's no hype around you.

LRK

Record Breaker
Cryptic interview.

Certainly no shortage of confidence on Sasha's part.

It's also not possible to be "the next xxx" when there's no hype around you.

Thank Heaven! (she said, with pious gratitude)

gmyers

Record Breaker
What I like is the seeming excitement of petrov. That's what plushenko had against skaters like Urmanov.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Yes!:thumbsup:

For me Petrov resembles Yagudin, not Plushy.:yes: Probably because of their similar body type..

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well, to be fair, he was ready to compete in the team competition...

He was ready to compete in the individual competition, too. He loves Russia so much. He received high scores on team competiton so you can't tell a real reason why he didn't want to compete in individual competition...There is no logical reason ..He wanted. One team gold and one bronze on individual competition are more than one gold..

Tutto

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know what to think. The age is not an issue, after all Konstantin Menshov is 32 and not retiring. Most ballet dancers retire by their mid-thirties but Maia Plisetskaya was dancing well into her sixties. I got a recording of Bolshoi's Swan Lake, 1976 production - you would never believe she was 51 there! And we are talking here 2 hours on and off on the stage vs 4 minutes on the ice...
But then again Plisetskaya had her spine intact as far as I know.
What puzzles me is motivation - what he could possible hope to achieve in the sport beyond what he's already got. Is is desire to re-live the thrill of competition or just craving to be a centre of attention? Somewhere along the way dignity and grace of retiring at a right time has been lost, so sad... the legend that just could not say goodbye gracefully. At this stage it feels like a bad movie being replayed again and again. Coming, going, retiring, coming back...
Mishin says so much in that interview and tells us so little (wouldn't he make a good politician?), however between lines it is clear 1)Plushenko's back is not alright; 2) Mishin has no idea whether he will be able to compete or not. So what's new?
From the practical point of view I am interested just how much of Mishin's time and attention will be shifted from Liza and what impact if would make on her season. He himself said a year ago that it was a relief to have two loads off his back (Plushenko & Gatchinski) and that allowed him to concentrate on Liza.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is it so hard to believe that Plushy keeps coming back simply because he loves it?

Skaters skate for the joy of skating. For him, he always can find another level in competition, but it is patently obvious that he loves the ice, and can't tear himself away. He seems to genuinely love the challenge of competition, and the harder a situation is, the more he loves it, the more he fights for it.

adelia

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know what to think. The age is not an issue, after all Konstantin Menshov is 32 and not retiring. Most ballet dancers retire by their mid-thirties but Maia Plisetskaya was dancing well into her sixties. I got a recording of Bolshoi's Swan Lake, 1976 production - you would never believe she was 51 there! And we are talking here 2 hours on and off on the stage vs 4 minutes on the ice...
But then again Plisetskaya had her spine intact as far as I know.
What puzzles me is motivation - what he is hoping to achieve beyond what he's already got in the sport. Is is desire to re-live the thrill of competition or just craving to be a centre of attention? It feels like a bad movie being replayed again and again. Coming, going, retiring, coming back...
Mishin says so much in that interview and tells us so little (wouldn't he make a good politician?), however between lines it is clear 1)Plushenko's back is not alright; 2) Mishin has no idea whether he will be able to compete or not. So what's new?
From the practical point of view I am interested just how much of Mishin's time and attention will be shifted from Liza and what impact if would make on her season. He himself said a year ago that it was a relief to have two loads off his back (Plushenko & Gatchinski) and that allowed him to concentrate on Liza.
Plushenko has shows lined up until year end. So how much time will Mishin spend with him? Probably little.