2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

Bruin714

On the Ice
Unfortunately, the marks are not announced after each skater. Takes away from the competition, feels more like an exhibition.

That being said, this was the best $10 I've ever spent!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hearsay alert:

Saw another tweet from someone saying Polina's skate was the weirdest skate they'd ever seen and that she may have looked upset leaving the ice. :drama:

Ah, I feel so bad about this one... but I also kinda chuckled recalling my newest YouTube video with the Polina bit, referencing her GWTW plans and asking, "Anyone? Bueller?"

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Dumb question time but what is this competition and how do skaters get into this competition? Is it just for skaters who skate at this rink? Just curios and happy for the sneak peeks and see skating in the off season.

doze

On the Ice
Dumb question time but what is this competition and how do skaters get into this competition? Is it just for skaters who skate at this rink? Just curios and happy for the sneak peeks and see skating in the off season.

you just simply sign up!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Summary of Today's FS top competitors from me attending live:

Nathan's video is already up online (TSL). No need for me to summarize, except wow. His quad is yuzuru-quality and stable. I'm only holding my breath for his 3A now, but it was landed once today and popped the other.

Grant: Clean 4T!! two 3As, great footwork, spread eagle and final spin in his Bring Him Home/One Day More Les Mis FS

Tim: Not as strong today but I like his program still. Tried a 4S (hit one in the warmup) but I believe he popped it or fell. His axel is still a little wacky; I think his right side is out of axis and dragging him out.

Jason: I *love* this program, but with errors it is markedly less effective. 4T two footed probably << but stood up. 3A two foot, possibly <, fell on the second 3A which was the crazy Rohene intro. As I mentioned in a comment earlier, he fell on his 3F (the combo) again, which is really wacky -- that's normally his most stable jump. Doubled a number of other jumps. Really lovely to see the spirals in person. Costume is all black with an interesting… sash? cloth ribbon? floating diagonally from his left shoulder down. Interesting.

Brendan: I think he hit four quads! 4T-2T clean, 4S hand, 4T hand second half. Was really quite impressive. Music is OneRepublic Secrets (medley of multiple versions). I might have missed it, but I don't think I saw any 3Lz or 3F, which was interesting.

Side note, I was impressed by Daniel Samohin trying 4T and 4S in the warmup. Was trying too hard though; missed both his 4T attempts (pop), but did hit a great 4S. He will likely be Israeli champion this year.

Also, Jordan is trying a quad. He may be rotating it too fast, but it actually looks closer than Jason's even if it is also two-foot/<</fall.
=====

Ladies:

Karen WD, which is too bad because with Amber withdrawing at least she wouldn't have to do back to back On My Own.. haha

Gracie: Firebird strong, using the standard cuts, but not a long boring entry like other versions -- it really gets right into it very soon. Uses "feather spirit fingers" a bit, it's fun. 3Lz-3T shaky but done. 3Lo off axis so lands on her toes with no glide. Lots of footwork to delay the 2A-3T until halfway point (also shaky but completed). 3So-2T at a climax, Charlotte-3Lz, 3Lip (same inside edge as yday).

Polina: Program is alright. I'm not as impressed as with her SP, but it will get the job done. More mature, anyway. Popped her lutz and missed the combo, Landed her 3F very roughly (and thus missed the 1Lo-3S), and then just ended up doing the rest of the program with singles… kind of like she gave up/was there to skate only the program. Nothing too different in terms of planned layout from last year, it looks. Too bad, because she did hit the 3Lz-3T clean in warmup (and obviously last night).

Courtney: did the same 3F(threeturn)-3T.. I hope that doesn't become a habit because it looked EXACTLY the same haha. (She did hit it clean in the warmup.) Most important: 3A attempt!! but hard fall. Went on to finish a pretty good program (not as good as yday) but I have to say… it's coming to the point where I feel her jumps are getting bigger but out of control/landings all over the place. It's like Gracie if Frank never reigned her in but instead gave her steroids and caffeine hahaha….

Mariah: Lovely program. Lots of Nancy moments (the back spiral!). Flip-toe landed but <, popped the axel in her 2A-1Lo-3S, but still was able to do the 3S. Doubled some jumps a la Kori-strategy. A HARDDDD 3Lo fall. I'm worried her lutz edge will not stand up to international scrutiny. It doesn't stand up to mine any more than Gracie's flip does….
She attempted a few 3F-3T in the warmup. Never looked perfectly rotated to me, but it was landed.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
It was a lot of fun! Gracies dress close up if just lovely. It has little feather looking bits that move when she moves. She has a great bow at the end where she moves her finger like tiny little bird wings. The first 2/3rds of the program her face looked very tense and worried but the last 30 seconds - THERE was Gracie - all smiles and happy skating.

Polina's skate was strange. Her warm up looked normal - I think that is why singling all those jumps felt weird. I liked her dress - the skirt was a little full, but the top was so sparkly. While it didn't feel very gone with the wind, her expression WAS very gone with the wind. I think she can really do a beautiful job with this program. She covers ice very quickly.

Mariah was cute, but I admit I miss fun music for her.

For Courtney - her dress looked like it was from 2014. But the photos look like it was black and in person this was a very flat dark purple color.

What a great competition. It seems like every year it gets bigger and the skaters from further away.

Tyler Pierce was a highlight of the night. Some of her jumps are so high and she just floats down to the ice. She had a couple falls, but the jumps she nailed were beautiful.

Jason is incredible in his skating. The place was packed but you could hear a pin drop, the audience was captivated. His skates are almost silent on the ice. His spirals and spins are incredible to watch. I was teary eyed. I thought his costume was a little heavy. Dyed colored sleeve turning into a sash and the other sleeve was black. It seemed to lack polish. But when you watch him skate, all you notice is his skating.

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Polina's skate was strange. Her warm up looked normal - I think that is why singling all those jumps felt weird. I liked her dress - the skirt was a little full, but the top was so sparkly. While it didn't feel very gone with the wind, her expression WAS very gone with the wind. I think she can really do a beautiful job with this program. She covers ice very quickly.

Mariah was cute, but I admit I miss fun music for her.

Total agree about Polina. The pop really was unexpected -- for her, too. And I think she was gonna continue but once the flip was rough it was clear she was making the decision to just spot the program just as a preview.

And total agree about Mariah, too!! Haha but... she wants to be taken more seriously, and I think after tonight she will. :)

aromaticchicken Was the following Jordan's FS tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxP0XKr7GQ
Yes, he is keeping his free program from last year. I have to say, I am not a huge fan because although he is a beautiful skater, his choreography and skating doesn't keep up with the tempo acceleration in the song. So as it gets faster... he doesn't get more exciting and so it ends up a little dead. He doesn't really come off as an energetic skater (like Jason or courtney or Karen something) so it's like the music is dragging him. Sigh....

loopy

Final Flight
This isn't about the skating, but about sportsmanship - Yasmine Yamada skated and then for the rest of her group she watched and cheered loudly for all the skaters. She seemed genuinely happy for them. So nice to see such positive skaters participating.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Edit: aromaticchicken Thank you. I actually really enjoyed Jordan's program at Broadmoor open, and I did think it built effectively - that was par to what i liked about it. I wonder how much is performance to performance and how much is I just have lower standards. :slink:

I do have a reputation among my friends for being rather picky/critical/having a high bar for being impressed by many things... That being said, I think Jordan is a fabulous skater and look forward to seeing him improve on the program throughout the year. Also, he's ridiculously cute (and I'm close enough in age to him to feel okay saying that buahaha), so I'm happy to just see him skating at all ^__^ :biggrin:

Lenny318

On the Ice
Okay Jason's program is gorgeous like omg I had to go tell him afterwards that it could bring about world peace (he lol'd, my day was made). But in all seriousness it is soooo lovely and I am mad jelly of everyone who gets to watch it live over the GP circuit, Nationals, and potentially Worlds. I don't care about the errors I am so glad I got to see that live.

Nathan Chen is ready for the season. 2 quads? Dang son.

I like Polina's program overall. Her jumps in the warmup looked good even without the jumps the program was pleasant, definitely an improvement over past years.

I'm liking Mariah's program it's very different from Kerrigan's program in 92 I'm hoping that it'll get better in terms of performance quality and jumps. Super glad she stayed up on the 3/3 even if it was UR I haven't looked at the results yet.

Gracie's Firebird... I see a good amount of bird and I'd like to see more fire (little girls were mimicking the hand thing she did during her bows, you'll know what I mean when it's on youtube). Hopefully it'll come as the season goes on and her comfort with the program increases. Glad to see her looking so good so early.

Courtney was good, I'm pleased with her music choice I have no idea what it is and I love it when I don't know. It's a better fit for her than last year's long program music.

This is going to be a good season.

Last edited:

Cdimop

Rinkside
Just got back. Definitely best $10 I have spent in quite a while. I don't think I've been to a live skating event for 15 years. Here are my amateur observations...... Nathan Chen looked very good, seems more mature and solid this year. His past injuries no longer seem to be solid....... Really like Gracie's program, but wish her costume had more gravitas to go with the music by Stravinsky....... Polina had a pretty rough skate as detailed in earlier posts. I really thought she was injured since I have never seen her pop that many jumps in one program. However, when I was leaving I walked by her and she had a big smile on her face so I'm pretty sure she is physically ok. As observed by others she really seems to have adjusted to her new body, kind of like a young Carolina Kostner. I did not like her costume at all and did not seem to match the music or evoke gone with the wind IMO. One pleasant surprise was Mariah.... She skated relatively well but what I liked the most is I'm pretty sure she was skating to music from the film Platoon which is unusual for a female skater. Really sets her apart from most female music choices. I also felt it worked well with her black sequin dress.