Breaking in Edeas | Golden Skate

Breaking in Edeas

MalAssada

Medalist
Hello, everyone!
Last week I bought my first "real" skate. The boot is the Rondó, roller equivalent to the Overture. Yes, it's a roller skate, but I hope the breaking in process is the same.

Can anyone tell me:
-How many hours wearing it until they break in?
-Is it normal that there is a crack when I bend my knees?
- I left the last lace hole unlaced for comfort. Is it too bad?

Just in case anyone here knows roller skates, here is the set up:
Boot: Edea Rondó
Plate: Variant M
Wheels: Giotto 57
Bearings: Red Bones (I think. It was my first day speaking Spanish).

Thank you for any answers!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is the crack coming from inside your knees? My knees do that sometimes. I know what that means, and for me, it's not a good sign.

I believe Edeas are supposed to be fairly easy to break in (I do not know from experience though). You can wear them while sitting down, or get them heat molded (you can do this in the oven but you have to be REALLY, REALLY careful), but the most effective thing is simply to skate in them.

MalAssada

Medalist
When I bend my knees, the skates crack. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong. It is already much more comfortable to skate in. I wore it while watching TV for a few days and tested them yesterday. Whatever skill I have is gone, and the beautiful color is already tainted :cry:

miaskates

Spectator
I realise that you probably passed the breaking in phase long ago, just wondering how it went for you?

I also skated in the Rondo on roller as my second pair of skates. I didn't really have a 'break in' period however I do feel that they broke down quite quickly. I also had the crack you described, but much later on and it was probably the precursor to them breaking down in that area. I had them for about a year and a half and I think I must've noticed the crack about a year in. My coach pointed it out and became fairly concerned as it seemed to get worse over the next few months. I switched to a stiffer boot - the Roller Fly which looks like it'll last me much longer.

I'd suggest lacing up all the holes? It's ultimately up to you but I feel the holes are quite important - its much better to skip the first hook than the last hole, according to my coach.

Good luck with roller/ice!

ilyden25

Rinkside
Hello, posting a quick question since it also concerns EDEA fitting and breaking in,

I got a pair of Ice fly on 270mm size. I wear a size UK8 normal shoe. I was able to check my shoe size on the edea skate measuring device and it indicates a 270 (with 5mm allowance). Checking the size chart comparison (from edea site) it says that a UK8 is 280mm in edea size. I was breaking in my ice flies last time and I am experiencing problems (hurting) on my toes. Should I have taken the 280 instead of a 270? Or maybe the pain is just part of the break in process?

Also worth noting I used to have Jacksons (48stiffness rating). Maybe that is also a contributing factor since ice flies have (90 stiffness rating).

miaskates

Spectator
I had a similar problem with Edea sizing - unfortunately I can't help as I haven't solved it! I'm a shoe size 5 which is 255-260mm and I tried both those sizes but measured as 250 with the Edea measuring thing. My newest boots are 250 and are really hurting my feet but I don't know if I should've gone for a size bigger? I don't think it's the stiffness as I went up by quite a lot in stiffness without having a problem. Have you asked your skate tech to stretch them out in the problem area with the Edea heat moulding technique? It helped me a little.

ilyden25

Rinkside
I had a similar problem with Edea sizing - unfortunately I can't help as I haven't solved it! I'm a shoe size 5 which is 255-260mm and I tried both those sizes but measured as 250 with the Edea measuring thing. My newest boots are 250 and are really hurting my feet but I don't know if I should've gone for a size bigger? I don't think it's the stiffness as I went up by quite a lot in stiffness without having a problem. Have you asked your skate tech to stretch them out in the problem area with the Edea heat moulding technique? It helped me a little.

Sending update: I was wearing my Ice Flies at home and walking around the house yesterday. I can now easily fit in my feet inside them. I can still feel a little hurting on my toes but not as bad as the past days (or was it because im am just walking and not doing jumps). Maybe it's the boot finally molding to my toes. I have ordered online and asked them to widen the boot in which they did. Toes were really sore last time... I'll try again walking in them later when I get back and update later as well.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside

255 are more like shoe size 8 in the USA so 250 should fit you if you are a size 5. My daughter has been in 255 for 4 years.
Someone above said you can heat mold them in the oven. You cant ! You will ruin them. You can use a blow dryer to mold them.

ilyden25

Rinkside
255 are more like shoe size 8 in the USA so 250 should fit you if you are a size 5. My daughter has been in 255 for 4 years.
Someone above said you can heat mold them in the oven. You cant ! You will ruin them. You can use a blow dryer to mold them.

I considered blowdrying my ice flies but too scared that i will end up ruining them... is it safe?

miaskates

Spectator
Thanks, the insole on the 250s seems perfect for my feet so that's what I thought! I'd heard that 255 was a UK size 5 but I guess not!

About the heat moulding I didn't want to try blow drying them myself in case anything went wrong. I've just let my skate tech do that for me as my skate shop do that for free.