Which ladies could land a 3A? | Golden Skate

Which ladies could land a 3A?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
So lately we've seen many ladies going for the 3A, Courtney Hicks and Gracie Gold have posted their attempts on IG, and IIRC Anna Pogorilaya said she also wanted to learn it.
So my question is, which lady (senior/junior/novice, from any level) do you think has an axel technique good enough to master the 3A? I know it's highly doubtful (if not impossible) to see any other than Liza and Mao going for it in the 2015-2016 season, but maybe in the future? What are your thoughts?
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed on other thread

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
If any of those ladies were going to land 3A's with any bit of confidence, they'd have been doing it already. The next 'consistent' 3A lady won't be from anyone competing at the Senior level right now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's interesting that people like Gracie, who has a small 2A, can actually do a 3A in practice (and with harness). Of the current ladies, I could see Adelina trying.

Raymond

Rinkside
I think Wakaba and So-Youn have potentials for doing that. They have huuuuuuge double axel.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Wakaba and So-Youn have potentials for doing that. They have huuuuuuge double axel.

I don't know if I agree with that. I think Wakaba has very strong jumps and powerful rotation largely due to use of her low center of gravity but I don't really think they are huge. Not yet at least but holy dang those jumps look secure.

http://youtu.be/CxHZmtUYbQY

So Youn has nice jumps too but 3a should be a bit lower on her list of things to do IMO.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't know if I agree with that. I think Wakaba has very strong jumps and powerful rotation largely due to use of her low center of gravity but I don't really think they are huge. Not yet at least but holy dang those jumps look secure.

http://youtu.be/CxHZmtUYbQY

So Youn has nice jumps too but 3a should be a bit lower on her list of things to do IMO.

The video shows that Wakaba does not have 'excess' height on any of her jumps. They are big enough and long enough to get perfect rotation and then she lands beautifully.

So she'll need to train the 3A with some more height for that extra rotation.

One would think, with the huge height he gets on it, that Han Yan could possibly try a 4A. --But his falls are really scary.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Great attempt, but not very promising. I don't see her having a successful 3A in competition, but Mariah Bell may have the potential to successfully land a 3A in competition if her harnessed 3A attempt is anything to go by. Her jumps during USA Nationals were good too.

The other interesting thing with Mariah is that it sounds like work on it began very recently. Seems fair to give anyone at least a year to work on it, and it has been less than that.

Franklin99

Medalist

So did Yuna, but she never landed a 3A without a harness. Having a huuuuge 2A doesn't exactly guarantee that one can land a 3A. That's a whole other ball game of mental nerves.

I think it was smart of Yuna to give up the 3A and 3L attempt and just stick with the jumps she was comfortable with because I guarantee you she wouldn't be as consistent as she was with the jump layout she had if she added those jumps.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mae-Berenice Meite has a lot of power in her jumps. Would be exciting to see her get one and leap up in the standings.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So did Yuna, but she never landed a 3A without a harness. Having a huuuuge 2A doesn't exactly guarantee that one can land a 3A. That's a whole other ball game of mental nerves.

I think it was smart of Yuna to give up the 3A and 3L attempt and just stick with the jumps she was comfortable with because I guarantee you she wouldn't be as consistent as she was with the jump layout she had if she added those jumps.

She would've broken her back and exited skating early...

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i think Karen Chen has potential as well, havent heard of any news about wanting though

adelia

Record Breaker
Which of the ladies could land a 3A? Most likely someone who had the jump before puberty. If you couldn't land it cleanly without a harness pre-puberty, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to do after you're done with puberty.