Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Polina Edmunds, who had a successful season in her second year competing on the international level as a senior, will debut this upcoming season at Glacier Falls in Anaheim, Calif. [More]

Back in training, one area that Edmunds has been focusing on is the triple flip, which received several edge calls this past season.

“From the beginning, I learned a correct triple flip,” she explained. “Last year when I was growing, I changed my timing and there was a slight rock in my takeoff. This summer I was working with Alexander Fadeev, who helped me return to my former timing on the takeoff the jump.”

In addition to her jumps, the skater has been working on power, as well as the details of her programs, to show more maturity. Here's wishing her a successful season!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great article GS. Thank You!

I'm looking forward to her new programs. I thought last year's were definitely an improvement from the Olympic season. If she can simply deliver her programs (especially the SP) a bit more convincingly I think she'll have an even better season.

Last edited:

Taan

On the Ice
:cheer: Thank you for a wonderful article....cant wait to see her new programs!
I wonder what the "oscar winning movie" is she is skating to, and the character she is portraying?? Mmm :think: :confused:

andromache

Record Breaker
I think many of us were looking sideways at Polina last season whenever she talked about how her triple flip was fine, so I'm really glad to hear she's been working on correcting the edge. I've probably criticized her a lot since last season, but I really want her to succeed in breaking through to establish herself as a top lady.

Any guesses as to what Oscar-winning movie her LP music is from? It has to do with the main character growing throughout the film, so I'm (perhaps inaccurately) assuming a film with a female lead who develops throughout the film. Most Oscar winners tend to be male-centric, so maybe that narrows it down. I'm also hoping it's a somewhat recent film rather than something older (a la Gone with the Wind or My Fair Lady) which could come off as cheesy.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Looking through the Best Picture (as opposed to other categories) films, it is awful how few films can be described that way. Gigi seems to be an option?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
STOP THE PRESSES!!! AND THE PIXELS!!!

Polina Actually Admits An Issue (we won't say 'problem' now, will we dear?) With Her Jump Technique

:shocked:

Well you know, the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one...

;)

I hope the Oscar winning score she is skating to is A Little Romance (Best Music, Original Score, 1980). It's an utterly charming movie that I highly recommend, and while the score is largely a ripoff of--I mean homage to--Vivaldi, it too is utterly charming. Oh and it was Diane Lane's first movie--when she was I believe 15 or so.

Last edited:
I think she can content for the national championship this year.

OT -- Does anyone think it's strange to have a Root Beer Float Day to raise money for diabetes?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm very curious about what the movie is myself. Unfortunately I've been laid up in bed for a few days and likely a few more with a medical condition. Because of limited mobility I have been on the internets a bunch and I've easily spent well over an hour looking up possible movies and still haven't a clue. At first I thought that it would be Hermione from HP but apparently that movie never won an Oscar. :scowl: I'm not a movie person at all which is making things even more complicated because even with a list of Oscar winning movies.... I never know what they're about and have to look them up :laugh:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Maybe Yentl, that has great music with tons of feeling. I think Jennifer Robinson skating to something from Yentl didn't she? Anyway, Polina will be able to use the vocal which will make it very different from Jennifer's. The problem she'd have is overcoming Barbra Streisand's very powerful and recognizable voice. Could be interesting. Didn't Breakfast at Tiffany's win an Oscar? Oh yeah, Alissa did something to Moon River. There was interesting music in "The Birds" I'm excited to see what she comes up with.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know why I'm stuck on Barbra but, she does have some Oscar winning music. Maybe Polina will use "The way we were" or "Everygreen" from A Star Is Born. That would be a great piece for any skater though, I think it might be a bit too mature for someone Polina's age. I would love to see Ashley Wagner skate to it. It's a beautiful. Maybe a dance team could try it.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You don't think she'd do Anna Karenina do you?

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Hmm, she says 'Oscar winning movie', not soundtrack. So looking through the Best Picture candidates (if the Oscars were for that category), I still think Gigi. It has many different tempos like she mentions.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
“My long program is to music from a wonderful Oscar Award winning movie where I am expressing the main character of the story. It’s a difficult piece because we have combined four different tempos of music, with emotions and different times of life as the main character grows.”

If it were a movie that won an Academy Award, there would be hundreds of choices. We'd have scarcely better luck picking a winning lottery ticket.

But if Polina means a movie that won a best picture award, the choices are far fewer. The Academy Awards have been given out for 87 years, but there are few best picture winners that had genuinely distinguished musical scores and fewer still with scores that described such a character as she might portray.

I think that there are three likely candidates:

Gigi
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music

All of them describe characters who are, in a sense, coming into being. Eliza in "My Fair Lady" has been plucked from a gutter and molded into a lady, in the process revealing her own heart and personality, Maria in "The Sound of Music" is an exuberant but inexperienced young woman joining a family and discovering romantic love, and Gigi is a young girl becoming a woman, rather naïve, and being educated in the comedy of manners that seemingly attend the affairs of sophisticated men and women.

All of them have marvelous scores and all would offer the opportunities Polina alludes to, but of these three, I believe that the selections will be taken from the Lerner and Lowe score for "Gigi." It seems most suitable for her, because it covers a period which corresponds to that in her own life, a girl becoming a woman, with all the changes which attend it. There is sentimentality, which is not necessarily a short coming, but which serves to redeem the cynicism of demi monde French society before the turn of the last century in which the story is set. Gigi is young and very sweet at the beginning, confused but exhilarated by the ways of love, crushed by the apparent emptiness behind the games others are content to play, but finds at last the love which in its truth and beauty transcends all conventions and is the all in all of life.

It is what any young woman should hope for, or any of us.

I suspect, however, that the program will be something else entirely. I'm very much looking forward to discovering what it is, though.

Last edited:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
I'm very curious about what the movie is myself. Unfortunately I've been laid up in bed for a few days and likely a few more with a medical condition. Because of limited mobility I have been on the internets a bunch and I've easily spent well over an hour looking up possible movies and still haven't a clue. At first I thought that it would be Hermione from HP but apparently that movie never won an Oscar. :scowl: I'm not a movie person at all which is making things even more complicated because even with a list of Oscar winning movies.... I never know what they're about and have to look them up :laugh:

I hope that you'll be better soon, but that you'll use your confinement as an opportunity for lots and lots of the posts I love to read.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Many skaters want to look balletic but Polina is balletic. How about a Leslie Caron - An American in Paris routine? Jazzy black leotards. Alas, no one knows what I'm talking about. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKcD-e05HJ8

Good Guess!!!:clap: My other guess is going to sound strange to some people but, I'm going to go with something from "Oklahoma!!" There's a ton of good choices from that score including the dream sequence. It has great changes in tempo and mood and if spliced together well, it would definitely make a great choice for an LP.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
“It’s a difficult piece because we have combined four different tempos of music, with emotions and different times of life as the main character grows.”

I think that there are three likely candidates:

Gigi
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music

I'm good with any of these. What concerns me is the four different tempos of music. This, IMO, is often the problem when people choose a film with a great score. They want to use too many of the songs. Three, Polina, three is really enough for a coherent program IMO.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm good with any of these. What concerns me is the four different tempos of music. This, IMO, is often the problem when people choose a film with a great score. They want to use too many of the songs. Three, Polina, three is really enough for a coherent program IMO.

The four different tempos is definitely a risk. I remember hating Michelle Kwan's "Red Violin" LP because it just seemed to constantly start and stop. However, when she performed at Worlds, it seemed like a completely new program due to her increased speed and power. Of course, skating a completely clean program with a rare for her, triple triple, didn't hurt.

Hopefully Polina will be able to increase her speed to match the power (If there is any) of her new program's music.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like Polina wants us to play a guessing game by the way that we're trying to guess the song. LOL.