BBC Documentary Ice Stars Airing again UK | Page 6 | Golden Skate

BBC Documentary Ice Stars Airing again UK

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just noticed that the first series of Ice Stars is being repeated this week and next week.

It is being shown Monday to Friday on the CBBC Channel at 11:35 BST (10:35 GMT)

The first episode starts in about 7 minutes from now. :eek:

EDIT: Each episode is also being shown again later on during the same day, at 14:40 BST (13:40 GMT)​

I take it that the fact they are repeating it now means that it is not long until the second series is due to be broadcast.

Can't wait!

And sorry for the late notice. I didn't know it was being repeated until a couple of minutes ago!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, got some concrete info now.

Series 2 kicks off next Tuesday (11[SUP]th[/SUP] October 2016) on the CBBC Channel at 16:30 BST (15:30 GMT) with an episode entitled “Trials and Tribulations”.

Here is the description off the iPlayer page for the episode:

The Ice Stars gang is back in full swing with a whole new season ahead of them. Ice-hockey-mad Charlie is joined by best mate Freddie as they compete in a very important late-night trial, synchro coach Esther brings in a choreographer to the stars to try and get the Icicles in shape after captain Emily's departure at the end of last season, and dance duo Jellie have to overcome a shaky start as the star performers at the opening of a pop-up ice rink.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zj452

In the meantime, here is a 3 minute trailer that was released yesterday, in which Kloe and Josh B do a Pairs routine to Ravel's “Bolero”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p049ddjl/ice-stars-series-1-bolero

And Jayne Torvill even makes an appearance in the clip!

Also, as I said last week, Series 1 is currently being repeated each day on the CBBC Channel at 11:35 BST (10:35 GMT) and again at 14:40 BST (13:40 GMT). Episode 7 is being shown today.

But, if you have missed the episodes repeated already or just want to spend a few hours having a binge on Ice Stars over the weekend, there will be an omnibus on Saturday and another on Sunday, again on the CBBC Channel.

Episodes 1 to 5 will be shown on Saturday from 15:10 – 17:35 BST (14:10 - 18:35 GMT)
Episodes 6 to 10 will be shown on Sunday from 15:10 – 17:35 BST (14:10 - 18:35 GMT)

Can't wait for the new series to start!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the first episode of the second series of "Ice Stars" will start on the CBBC Channel at 16:30 BST, i.e. 50m from now.

PLEASE NOTE: "Ice Stars" is being shown half an hour earlier than it was shown last year!

However, last year, people from "Ice Stars" occasionally appeared in the CBBC studio on Tuesday afternoons. And that is due to start, erm, sometime between now and 16:30!!! :slink: (Apart from "Blue Peter", I haven't watched the CBBC Channel since the last series of "Ice Stars" ended. But if it is still like it was last year, the start time of the studio stuff really varies! :rolleye: )

So, you might want to keep an eye out just in case there are more in the studio this week.

Details on how to receive CBBC (along with links to videos of the previous episodes - which are available as they were repeated during the 2 weeks leading up to the new series) are in this post.

As usual, I will record it and watch it later.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry that I am doing this so close to the start of the programme, but I forgot that it was Tuesday!

Just a wee reminder that the first episode of the second series of "Ice Stars" will start on the CBBC Channel at 16:30 BST, i.e. 15m from now.

PLEASE NOTE: "Ice Stars" is being shown half an hour earlier than it was shown last year!

However, last year, people from "Ice Stars" occasionally appeared in the CBBC studio on Tuesday afternoons. And that starts around 16:00 BST.

So, you might want to keep an eye out just in case there are more in the studio this week.

Details on how to receive CBBC (along with links to videos of the previous episodes - which are available as they were repeated during the 2 weeks leading up to the new series) are in this post.

I've been pretty busy this week, so I haven't actually watched last week's episode yet (hence why there is no review of it up yet). So, even though I do actually have time to watch it LIVE, I'm going to tape today's episode.

But, I should be able to watch them both tomorrow.

CaroLiza_fan

Epperly

Spectator
Forgive me if I missed this but was there another thread created for any discussion of items related to the second series?

I was wondering if anyone had info on what happened between Josh and Ellie which was alluded to in the finale at the gala but not specifically explained.

I'd love to know if either are skating as singles now.

I'd also love know if Ella ever found another parter and whether anyone has been able to follow Khloe's progress at junior Int'l competitions this year given the psychological set backs it seemed she was having?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Forgive me if I missed this but was there another thread created for any discussion of items related to the second series?

I was wondering if anyone had info on what happened between Josh and Ellie which was alluded to in the finale at the gala but not specifically explained.

I'd love to know if either are skating as singles now.

I'd also love know if Ella ever found another parter and whether anyone has been able to follow Khloe's progress at junior Int'l competitions this year given the psychological set backs it seemed she was having?

You can read about them a little in their FanFest: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56484-Ellie-O-Connell-amp-Joshua-Tarry Other than that, I don't know, but maybe tiffoc will post an update in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just came across an advert for the third series, and apparently it starts TODAY!!!

BBC

Friday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2017
CBBC 17:30 – 18:00 BST “New Beginnings”

Details on how to receive CBBC are in this post.

Please note that the Freeview number has changed!

Also, please be aware that not only is this series being shown on a different day to previously, but it is being shown half an hour later. This is because CBBC is now showing dramas every day at 17:30.

Here is a 2 minute preview video. But be warned that expires just as today's episode starts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05bs93j/ice-stars-keep-on-dreaming-series-preview

Confession time: I haven't even watched the second series yet! :eek: :drama:

With never visiting this particular forum any more, I forgot all about still having to watch it! At least I have it recorded.

I will get caught up some time...

CaroLiza_fan

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Nevermind, it was Josh B! Although they could pass for brothers from a distance.

So I was able to catch today's episode, New Beginnings, and to my surprise it was all figure skating. I didn't see any of the last 2 seasons, so all I had to go on was CaroLiza_fan's wonderful reviews. I really enjoyed it!
So now I must apologise to CaroLiza_fan for stealing his thunder, because I really wanted to do a review of it. :biggrin:

It started off by explaining that Josh and Ellie, aka Jellie had broken up last year, and it had been some months since and Josh was now skating with another partner. But then, there was a surprise visitor at the rink... Ellie!

It turns out Ellie had felt like the hours at the rink were too much for her, and she wanted to spend more time at home and with her friends at school. So she moved back home for a while. But while she was away, she realised how much she missed skating, and missed her friends at the rink. She said she saw her friends at the rink online, hanging out together, and she felt like she was sitting at home doing nothing. So she came back and the coach at the rink was very happy to see her. Also because Josh had already got a new partner, she decided to try skating singles "this season" (last season? IDK).

Then, since Ellie had been away, she met up with Ella, who had also switched to singles! It turns out Adriano had gone home, for what reason I don't think they said, and instead of waiting for a new partner Ella decided to go solo. The two of them talked about it being easier in singles in some ways, because you do what you want to do and you don't have to worry about what your partner wants to do. But to me, it seemed like Ellie did miss skating with Josh.

Then we went back to Ella, who had been invited to do a gala at the opening of the Sunderland ice rink (this is where I curse myself for looking away, because the campaign posters for making Sunderland City of Culture were up on the boards and I could have worked out the date from there :palmf:). Ella was excited for the opportunity but both her and her coach were worried because the gala was only 3 weeks away! Ella only had a week to learn the choreography, which sounds very demanding :eek: and she was struggling with a sit spin, which she kept, well, sitting down on. Her coach even told her not to focus too much on the arm movements, and if she had trouble remembering, to just improvise.

Of course, then they went off and introduced some familiar faces: Josh B and Kloe! And this segment was very exciting from the start, because they had been informed that they had a very special guest coming to the rink in a few hours. I will keep mum for now, to increase suspense. They both immediately got to work, overseen by Gurgen. Kloe was practicing spins and seemed to be going well. However, Josh B was having some trouble landing his triples, all pops and falls. Then Gurgen said, he knew about the guest, and they all had to work hard, but he was not happy with their skating quality. Now the way this was edited, it sounded like he was talking about Josh's jumps, but I thought about it and given the emphasis he put on skating quality I think he meant both of their actual skating. So both of them were unsettled.

Now they cut away again, back to Ellie for a breather from all the tension. Some time had passed (?) and it was Josh's birthday, and they were going to spend it together doing... some kind of cross between dirt track racing and go karting?? :scratch2: It was the first time Ellie had seen Josh in a while, although they had talked while Ellie was away, but Ellie was still a bit nervous. However, when she got there it was only awkward for a few minutes and soon they were having lots of fun. Ellie's go-kart got stuck in the mud at one point :laugh: and some got into her hair, but it was all in good fun. Sadly I had to duck out at that moment tough, so I didn't see how this segment ended.

Then we came back to Josh B and Kloe. Now the visitor had arrived... and it was Prince Harry! :eeking: At first all seemed to be well. He came rinkside, started chatting with the hockey players and young children at one end of the rink. At the other, everything was going well for Josh B, and he was landing all his jumps beautifully. Kloe was showing off her best I-spins, and you could see other skaters showing off their moves. But soon I was shaking my fist in anger. Prince Harry spared them nary a glance :dev2: They waved to him, but he never came over to watch them or speak to them. And then he was whisked away and neither of Josh B or Kloe were even able to take a picture of him, let alone with him. And sadly that is how the segment ended.

Now we finally returned to Ella, who was getting ready for the gala for the opening of the Sunderland rink. She was very worried that she might forget her program, because she usually had a few more weeks to practice it. In the gala practice, she was struggling to remember her choreography. Her coach explained that without her there, Ella couldn't remember where she was supposed to be. To make things more difficult, the rink was much smaller. But once she got off the ice, she got a skype call from Ellie! It was really lovely to see the skaters encouraging each other. Ellie reminded Ella that the rink was smaller, so she shouldn't push off as strongly, and then it was time for Ella's performance.

Now here is where I got angry again, because the cameraman was not following her at all! Doing a spin? Let's zoom in on her hands! Setting up the spirals she had been practicing over and over? Let's look at the audience instead! Oh, and let's not follow her around the rink AT ALL. :curse:
That aside, from what I could see she did very well! :hap57: The audience loved her and she said everyone she saw was smiling. She seemed to be adjusting very well to performing by herself.

It was such a pleasant surprise! I had seen documentaries on CBBC before, covering children's school and club football competitions and I lost interest very quickly. But this was very well put together. In the preview for next episode, we do seem to be moving on to hockey and synchro. But right at the end they teased us with a peek at a new girl at the rink... from Russia! :devil: Gurgen seemed astonished by her ability in the clip, saying he didn't realise how young she was at first, which is intriguing! I am very excited for next week.
On that note, today's episode is being showed again twice tomorrow, and again on Sunday! I hope that means interest in the programme has picked up.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So I was able to catch today's episode, New Beginnings, and to my surprise it was all figure skating. I didn't see any of the last 2 seasons, so all I had to go on was CaroLiza_fan's wonderful reviews. I really enjoyed it!
So now I must apologise to CaroLiza_fan for stealing his thunder, because I really wanted to do a review of it. :biggrin:

No problem. I didn't watch “New Beginnings” because I like to watch things in order, and so want to watch Series 2 first. Plus, I'm going away on holidays in a few days, and so will be missing the next 2 episodes anyway.

You know, I might just bring the discs with me and catch up over there... ;)

If you want to continue doing the reviews, I won't complain. I love watching the programme, but doing the reviews are really time consuming and I have a lot more things on my plate now than I did when the first series was aired.

By the way, if you want to catch up on some of the stuff that happened in Series 2, then Episodes 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 are curently on iPlayer, because they were repeated over the summer (which I didn't realise either). Be warned, though, Episode 5 expires on Monday at 20:05 BST. I have no idea why Episode 7 isn't available.

Also because Josh had already got a new partner, she decided to try skating singles "this season" (last season? IDK).

Yes, each series was recorded the previous season. Josh Tarry was skating with Lucy Hancock at the start of the 2016-17 season (Stats On Ice Bio).

As cathlen said above, there is some additional info about Team Jellie in their Fan Fest. There are also some interesting insights posted by Ellie's Mum...

On that note, today's episode is being showed again twice tomorrow, and again on Sunday! I hope that means interest in the programme has picked up.

There was always a repeat on Sunday mornings, but the Saturday repeats are new (I think). The CBBC Channel does seem to be repeating programmes more often ever since it had it's hours extended. But I'm not complaining, because it's handy to have more backup options.

Glad you are enjoying the series.

CaroLiza_fan