Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections? | Golden Skate

Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the thread for the men's FS for the JGP Bratislava, I saw a few discussions about it in the last few postings, so I thought maybe we can discuss more here about it.

Like for me, besides rooting for Americans (Because I myself am one) and other skaters I like for their skills and stuff, there are some skaters I root for bcause of different reasons.

Like I will root for skaters who represent Israel because I'm Jewish and Israel is considered the homeland of the Jews.

Plus I also get slightly excited when I find out some skaters are Jewish because Judaism is kind of considered a minority religion cause of the amount of people practicing it, so I feel a connection in some way.

Also I root for skaters representing the Philippines because we have a really good family friend who immigrated to the USA from there and she became the nanny of me and my younger brother when we were babies due to that both my parents work. She not so much our nanny anymore because we're older (And plus my brother just moved to Tennessee for college), but she still helps out around the house and drives me to school and stuff cause I don't drive. Anyways, she's like my 2nd mother so whenever I hear about the Philippines in any way or form, I think of her.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
As I'm from Ireland, a country with next to no skating tradition, I'm completely neutral when it comes to a skater's nationality but I can make an educated guess that it's different for anyone from or with ties to a country represented by any skaters! I'm not religious either so that has no bearing on who I enjoy to watch or who I shout for.

I can understand and accept that someone would respect a skater's religious beliefs and admire them on a personal level for said beliefs but not necessarily how religion would influence their support of them given that figure skating is an athletic and artistic pursuit and not a religious one. And please don't take that as a sign of disrespect of any religion as it's certainly not meant that way!

kinoriH

Final Flight
I root for any Israeli skater, whether he/she is successful or not. Recently I really like Daniel Samohin. I find him so entertaining and full of character. Despite the fact that he doesn't live Israel.. since It's pretty rare to see figure skating in israel and i'm not sure ppl here even know what it is.

I think i would have liked him even if he skated for another country though.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think many skating fans, including myself, will root for someone from their own country/ethnicity/religion because they feel that connection and pride. But I will also root for skaters from countries I know nothing about if I find their skating appealing.

For the record, I think it's cool that our male national champion is Jewish (which I am also). My mom, who knows nothing about skating, knows about Jason because they profiled him in the Jewish Week around the time of the Olympics. The article below also talks about other Jewish skaters. I think they are mistaken about Charlie White, though.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/international/jewish-ponytail-seen-around-world

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I'm from Ireland, a country with next to no skating tradition, I'm completely neutral when it comes to a skater's nationality but I can make an educated guess that it's different for anyone from or with ties to a country represented by any skaters! I'm not religious either so that has no bearing on who I enjoy to watch or who I shout for.

I can understand and accept that someone would respect a skater's religious beliefs and admire them on a personal level for said beliefs but not necessarily how religion would influence their support of them given that figure skating is an athletic and artistic pursuit and not a religious one. And please don't take that as a sign of disrespect of any religion as it's certainly not meant that way!

It's okay, I totally understand. It's just for me, because my religion is one where there's not a whopping load of followers, it's just cool to see skaters that have the same religious beliefs as you. Of course I root for skaters that aren't Jewish as well, but there's something about a religious connection that some people feel.

It also doesn't matter for me on what countries what skaters represent. I'm not ignoring other countries, but when I see skaters representing some countries I feel a connection to, I get excited, you know?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think many skating fans, including myself, will root for someone from their own country/ethnicity/religion because they feel that connection and pride. But I will also root for skaters from countries I know nothing about if I find their skating appealing.

For the record, I think it's cool that our male national champion is Jewish (which I am also). My mom, who knows nothing about skating, knows about Jason because they profiled him in the Jewish Week around the time of the Olympics.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/international/jewish-ponytail-seen-around-world

Speaking of Jason, I remember when I met him after a Stars on Ice show in 2014 (I still get so fangirly every time I think about it :) ), I told him I was Jewish also, and he was like, "Woohoo!" Ah!!! fangirl feels!!!!!!!!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
It's okay, I totally understand. It's just for me, because my religion is one where there's not a whopping load of followers, it's just cool to see skaters that have the same religious beliefs as you. Of course I root for skaters that aren't Jewish as well, but there's something about a religious connection that some people feel.

It also doesn't matter for me on what countries what skaters represent. I'm not ignoring other countries, but when I see skaters representing some countries I feel a connection to, I get excited, you know?

Cool, I totally get where you're coming from! I sometimes feel a kinship with people I meet based on trivial reasons so I can imagine that someone with a strong religious faith would feel a kinship with someone they feel represents that faith. It's a good discussion thread to introduce and hopefully many views can be represented and everyone can accept differences of belief and nationality.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I'm Taiwanese American, and growing up in the US in the 90s the only other Asian Americans on TV in "featured roles" were Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi, who my family always rooted for. In many ways, it was the reason we all got into skating, because we were so proud of them representing our community. Moreover, it meant a lot to me as a child seeing Michelle not only celebrated for her skating ability, but genuinely embraced by the nation as a sort of sports heroine.

I still feel similarly toward our young Asian American skaters, although in large part because of Kristi and Michelle, figure skating is now heavily (and disproportionately) represented by Asians in the U.S., so it's less exciting to see an Asian on the ice because pretty much at every rink you'll see one (if not multiple) nowadays!! It's considered one of the few acceptable and prestigious sports for young Asian girls to take up!

That being said, I particularly like Karen Chen, because is not only Asian but Taiwanese American and has a strong connection to her cultural roots! She speaks Mandarin, recently went back to Taipei to headline artistry on ice, and has performed multiple themed exhibitions featuring her skills from Chinese dance and fan dance. It's very exciting to see! And my mom sure loves it too :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
No. I root for them because I like them as individuals. I never could understand people who can only root for skaters from their own country...why does that matter? Maybe because I didn't spend my whole life living in my birth country, I don't understand blind patriotism. And I'm not religious, so that's certainly never been a drawing card (it can be the opposite if that's all the skater ever talks about, though). Yes, I'm a little biased toward the Russian school of skating, but it's not because of what their passports say...I just prefer that style to most others.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm Taiwanese American, and growing up in the US in the 90s the only other Asian Americans on TV in "featured roles" were Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi, who my family always rooted for. In many ways, it was the reason we all got into skating, because we were so proud of them representing our community. Moreover, it meant a lot to me as a child seeing Michelle not only celebrated for her skating ability, but genuinely embraced by the nation as a sort of sports heroine.

I still feel similarly toward our young Asian American skaters, although in large part because of Kristi and Michelle, figure skating is now heavily (and disproportionately) represented by Asians in the U.S., so it's less exciting to see an Asian on the ice because pretty much at every rink you'll see one (if not multiple) nowadays!! It's considered one of the few acceptable and prestigious sports for young Asian girls to take up!

That being said, I particularly like Karen Chen, because is not only Asian but Taiwanese American and has a strong connection to her cultural roots! She speaks Mandarin, recently went back to Taipei to headline artistry on ice, and has performed multiple themed exhibitions featuring her skills from Chinese dance and fan dance. It's very exciting to see! And my mom sure loves it too :)

I'm Chinese-Canadian but my story is a little similar to yours, in Western media in general there's not very much representation of Asians on television and in Hollywood, Michelle Kwan is one of the only Asian-Americans I saw on TV as a little kid and oh gosh she was so badass. I thank her for being a straight up G and being my role model as a little kid so she will always hold a special place in my heart. Toda it's better of course but still not there. I like Karen Chen a lot because she's so tiny but she skates so big, I think it's really endearing.

Anyway I'm not religious at all so no on that front. As for Nationality or Ethnicity meh, not really, I think I talk about Canadians more just because I'm in Canada and I hear a lot more news about skaters from the community here. If there are skaters I don't care for I just don't really talk about them. I do like a lot of skaters from Canada and China but I also like a a bunch of skaters from Japan and Russia, granted they've got big National teams and more skaters but I do genuinely cheer for a lot of skaters from other places.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Because of country? Kind of; rather if there is a tradition of some sport of style associated with athletes in a particular country (e.g. Korean short track, Japanese men's artistic gymnastics, Russian pairs skating). Because of religion? Sounds ridiculous.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should have elaborated here a little more. I mean besides skaters that you already root regardless. Like I root for some skaters from other countries and who have different religious backgrounds regardless.

What I'm saying is that there's something about you and connection to countries/religions that you might have, that comes into like, more of an excitement...like a connection shared in a way...you know?

I did not intend for this to offend anyone.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I root for all skaters, but some more than others because I have a soft spot for them, for any number of reasons.

Maybe their skating especially touches me emotionally.

Maybe I've been watching them since lower levels, especially skaters from my country (US).

Some US skaters I've been aware of even longer than that if they represent my club or I shared ice with them at some point.

The only time I ever cheered encouragement out loud for a skater was for Sergei Davydov in the men's free skate final at 2003 Worlds. He was the least well known skater in the final group, so I figured he should get some share of love that the others in that group did. And he represented Belarus, where some of my great-grandparents came from. My ancestors were Jewish; I figured some of his might be as well since Davydov could be a Jewish name and he had skated to the Exodus soundtrack as a junior, but I really don't know.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I could never make myself root for any Dutch figure skater. I'd feel embarrassed more than anything else. :eek::

i cannot call myself completely neutral, however. I have a fondness for Japanese skaters in general as well as the Russian ladies, but will also root for anybody who at any point has an program that I like. Awesome music + awesome costume go a long way towards getting my vote and eternal adoration. :love:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I root only for the skaters whose skating I really like, what ever their nationality or religion might be. In past I have rooted for some Finnish skaters like Rahkamo & Kokko, Susanna Pöykiö and Laura Lepistö, but only because their skating appealed to me.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the skaters that I like. It is a bonus if they are American.

dna5019

Final Flight

My story's very similar to yours. Watching Kristi Yamaguchi win gold back in 1992 was what got me into figure skating in the first place. As a little girl, I was very excited that there was a young Asian woman representing the sport--she was my role-model for the longest time. :) As a Korean American, I'm sure you can imagine how excited I was when Kim Yuna came onto the scene. :biggrin:

That being said, the most important thing to me is a beautiful performance, so I will root for any skater who does just that, regardless of nationality. :)

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I like to root for underdogs and skaters from underrepresented countries, just like in the Olys I root for countries that have never won medals. Lets see off the top of my head... Anne Line Gjersem, Kailani Craine, Alexi Bychenko, Misha Ge, the Helgesson Sisters.. also the Italian skaters because we're Italian American, and the French because I like the offbeat French style of skating.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think Japan has the best fans, so I am slightly inclined to root for their skaters, but mainly I don´t care for nations or religion.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I have a tendency to root for underdogs. It is not on purpose. (Sometimes I try very, very hard to avoid getting my hopes up for athletes I really love). It's just that I connect with performers who have to face obstacles. In general this crosses all national boundaries; but I do really respect athletes who never or very rarely get to skate at home. It's so much harder to establish yourself on the senior circuit when your country doesn't host a Grand Prix event and you are always competing against a home favorite. And athletes who compete for countries with very little backing from an organized federation. Athletes whose country may never host Europeans/Four Continents/Worlds/even a JGP. I often automatically make predictions based on home field advantage during the season. So I have serious respect for the athletes who defy the odds every time they go out and skate.