2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers | Golden Skate

2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers

nam57

Rinkside
Sept. 2-6

Golden West Championships
http://allyearfsc.com/2015/07/2015-golden-west-championships/

Golden West will be the Youth Olympic Games Qualifier, but not for Ice Dance and Pairs.

From the announcement, only Men and Ladies qualifiers will be run here.

The YOG qualifer for dance was at LPIDC.

Results
PlaceNameScoreSDFD
1Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC
Logan Bye, SC of New York
2Eliana Gropman, Washington FSC
Ian Somerville, Washington FSC
3Lydia Erdman, Philadelphia SC & HS
Alexey Shchepetov, Philadelphia SC & HS
4Alina Efimova, Peninsula SC
Kyle MacMillan, Washington FSC
5Elizabeth Addas, All Year FSC
Jonathan Schultz, FSC of Southern CA
6Heidi Washburn, Detroit SC
Val Katsman, Broadmoor SC

Last edited by a moderator:

frida80

Record Breaker
What does that mean exactly? Just how are the competitors chosen for the Youth Olympic Games anyway? Shouldn't it be like how the competitors are chosen for the Olympic Games? The top three at nationals go?

frida80

Record Breaker
Ah yes... It's not. I guess I should say the top three people in nationals. However if one of the people they think should go screws up at nations or is injured and can't compete, that person will be inserted in and the person who is third-place will be stay home. They really should have a more formal way of choosing competitors for the OG.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ah yes... It's not. I guess I should say the top three people in nationals. However if one of the people they think should go screws up or is injured, that person will be inserted in and the person who is third-place will be stay home. They really should have a more formal way of choosing competitors for the OG.

My point is that the top three at Nationals are not automatically named to the Olympic team in the first place. Just ask Mirai and Ashley W.

(I do not have a problem with Ashley being selected for Sochi, but Mirai did not "screw up.")

frida80

Record Breaker
My point is that the top three at Nationals are not automatically named to the Olympic team in the first place. Just ask Mirai and Ashley W.

(I do not have a problem with Ashley being selected for Sochi, but Mirai did not "screw up.")

I never said that she did. I was implying Ashley screwed up. I was heart broken for Mirai though. She really wanted to go...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Who's old enough to go? :scratch:

Anyone under 18. Karen, Bradie, Amber, and Vivian should be strongly considered.

Bradie is too old -- born in 1998.

The exact age requirements, per the ISU:

Figure Skating Singles • Born between January 1, 1999 and December 31, 2001
For Male Skaters in Pair Skating and Ice Dance: • Born between January 1, 1997 and December 31, 2000

http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-even...-youth-olympic-games-provisional-quota-places (has a link to the PDF with the age rules)​

I never said that she did. I was implying Ashley screwed up. I was heart broken for Mirai though. She really wanted to go...

Apologies for misunderstanding your previous post.
I too was very sad for Mirai. But I could see that based on the USFS criteria, a reasonable case could be made for Ashley.

frida80

Record Breaker
Apologies for misunderstanding your previous post.
I too was very sad for Mirai. But I could see that based on the USFS criteria, a reasonable case could be made for Ashley.

It's OK. I still think it needs to be a formalized process rather than stuff talked about in the background. Sort of like the international ranking for skating. It would just include some domestic competitions as well.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I actually have the same question as frida80... how will this competition be used as a qualifier for the Youth Olympic Games? Why use this and not Nationals? (OK, I know Nationals aren't strictly used, but they're obviously heavily influential...)

frida80

Record Breaker
I actually have the same question as frida80... how will this competition be used as a qualifier for the Youth Olympic Games? Why use this and not Nationals? (OK, I know Nationals aren't strictly used, but they're obviously heavily influential...)

Whenever I try to check a leak it's restricted to people for members. Who has a US figure skating membership that can check one of these links and find out how they choose?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I actually have the same question as frida80... how will this competition be used as a qualifier for the Youth Olympic Games? ...

Clumsily paraphrasing what is on the All Year FSC site:
YOG qualifying will be determined by designated segments (SP and FS) within Golden West that are earmarked only for that purpose.
In other words, skaters have to sign up (and pay separate entry fees) to compete specifically in the YOG qualifying.

(As to why Nats results are not used as a major factor in qualifying, I have no answer.)

ETA (on Aug 27), finally went back to look up the link for the page that I had attempted to paraphrase from memory:

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Clumsily paraphrasing what is on the All Year FSC site:
YOG qualifying will be determined by designated segments (SP and FS) within Golden West that are earmarked only for that purpose.
In other words, skaters have to sign up (and pay separate entry fees) to compete specifically in the YOG qualifying.

(As to why Nats results are not used as a major factor in qualifying, I have no answer.)

Is it just this one competition or are there more competitions like this? Do we know who signed up for it? Can US figure skating change their mind that they don't like one? Because I have no idea who was the girl went for the last youth Olympics or why someone more qualified wasn't chosen to go instead. If you take a look at the gold-medal and silver medalist of 2012 both of them are a world and Olympic gold medalist. It would be in the USFS' best interest to send the best competitors possible.

frida80

Record Breaker
I found a list of the competitors for the youth qualifier. I don't recognize any of these names.

Levitina, Kristine Pines FSC
Qiao, Alice Atlanta FSC
Feng, Sarah The Skating Club of San Francisco
Morris, Taylor Skokie Valley SC
Peng, Rebecca The Skating Club of Boston
Flood, Morgan All Year FSC
Yang, Alice St. Moritz ISC
Shin, Riley Dallas FSC
Giang, Vanna All Year FSC
Smit, Isabella All Year FSC
Lee, Gabriella SC of Oregon
Cai, Jessica Pasadena FSC
Maeda, Runa All Year FSC
Jafarkhani, Jasmine Los Angeles FSC
Ellison, Lauren Broadmoor SC

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rebecca Peng is competing in the Riga Cup JGP event about to take place in a few hours.