2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
From a dance perspective then, as far as I can tell we have the most qualified teams going. If Nationals was used as the qualifier, then the ridiculously tough field at Eastern sectionals could have kept a quality team, like Gropman & Somerville, from having the chance to qualify for this event.

No idea if the same issue might exist in singles, though I suppose holding a single qualifier does avoid the necessity for making judgment calls between athletes who compete in separate junior & senior events at Nationals.

crzesk8dad

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Go to Golden West Championships thread for YOG singles list of competitors and times. It is being live streamed.

nam57

Rinkside
Vanna Giang was the ladies winner. She scored 139.01, Rebecca Peng 138.88. FS scores Vanna Giang 95.47 (6 clean triples) and Rebecca Peng 90.14.

nam57

Rinkside
Results from 2012....obviously this event is a serious competition!
1 TUKTAMISHEVA Elizaveta
RUS
173.10 1 1
2 SOTNIKOVA Adelina
RUS
159.08 2 3
3 LI Zijun
CHN
157.70 3 2

frida80

Record Breaker
Results from 2012....obviously this event is a serious competition!
1 TUKTAMISHEVA Elizaveta
RUS
173.10 1 1
2 SOTNIKOVA Adelina
RUS
159.08 2 3
3 LI Zijun
CHN
157.70 3 2

Yes it is. Look what they accomplished within four years. In three years since that competition they'd both be champions. I wish the US saw this as more important.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Go to Golden West Championships thread for YOG singles list of competitors and times. It is being live streamed.

Thx again, crzesk8dad :).

BTW, Camden Pulkinen was the only entrant in the YOG qualifier for men:

(Two other men withdrew.)

... I wish the US saw this as more important.

Stupid question:
Do YOG competitors earn ISU World Standings points?​

iirc, USFS does not take YOG results into account when determining funding envelopes.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
So it is correct to assume that Giang will be awarded the Ladies' spot and Pulkinen the Men's spot, based on these Golden West results?

I find this system so bizarre. I don't really begrudge these young people the opportunity to compete in the YOG, but it really doesn't seem like we're sending our best candidates. I mean, if you start to look at who's age-eligible...

Lewis/Bye, Gropman/Somerville for the 2 dance spots seems fine. Likewise Rose/Goodpaster for Pairs. But if there was only one age-eligible team at Cranberry, that being Rose/Goodpaster, and the US earned 2 spots for the YOG in pairs... who will get the second spot? Will they just give it up? :(

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just noticed that the following names now appear as YOG entries on the USFS assignments page:

Giang; Pulkinen; Rose/Goodpaster; Lewis/Bye

http://usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

The USFS page was last updated on 10/13. Not sure whether the YOG names had been shown there earlier (don't remember the last time I had scrolled down that far ;) in recent visits to the page).

I know that these skaters won the YOG qualifiers, so the names are not surprises, but even after the qualifying comps were over, the official assignments had not seemed like a fait accompli??

So the addition of their names to the assignments page seemed worth mentioning.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Footnote:

USFS will send only one Ice Dance couple to YOG, although it qualified for two dance slots.

Source: Page 3 of ISU Communication 1971 (published Oct 16).

Link to Communication 1971 is on the page at this link:
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...laces-and-judges-by-number-for-figure-skating

A shame that Gropman/Somerville do not get to fill the second slot.

... But if there was only one age-eligible team at Cranberry, that being Rose/Goodpaster, and the US earned 2 spots for the YOG in pairs... who will get the second spot? Will they just give it up? :(

The US qualified for only one Pairs slot, per the ISU document.

Last edited:

nam57

Rinkside
Vanna Giang won her Regionals and Camden Pulkinen was 4th. Both were in SWP region.