Season 2015-2016 Grand Prix Predictions Game | Golden Skate

Season 2015-2016 Grand Prix Predictions Game

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are you ready for it? :cheer:

It was such fun last year!

Who wants to step forward to organize the game this season?

Who wants to volunteer to score or help?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i am not sure if i can organize but i think i can help scoring :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As long as I don't have to give out personal information, I can score too!

To be able to put the scores into the spreadsheet, the creator of the spreadsheet has to grant the scorers editing privileges. And to do that, the creator has to put the e-mail addresses for each of the scorers into a form on the spreadsheet.

But, it is so easy nowadays to create a free e-mail account. So, if being reluctant to give out an e-mail address is all that is holding you back, then you can try that.

In one of the previous Predictions Games, there was a member that wanted to score, but had the same concerns as you. So, they created a new e-mail account, and they had no bother at all after that!

So, I hope hearing this will re-assure you.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I can't wait to suck at this all over again! Mainly I lost because (1) I did not anticipate Liza's grand comeback and (2) I had no idea who P/C were ...

Layback11

Record Breaker
To be able to put the scores into the spreadsheet, the creator of the spreadsheet has to grant the scorers editing privileges. And to do that, the creator has to put the e-mail addresses for each of the scorers into a form on the spreadsheet.

But, it is so easy nowadays to create a free e-mail account. So, if being reluctant to give out an e-mail address is all that is holding you back, then you can try that.

In one of the previous Predictions Games, there was a member that wanted to score, but had the same concerns as you. So, they created a new e-mail account, and they had no bother at all after that!

So, I hope hearing this will re-assure you.

CaroLiza_fan

Will do!

Layback11

Record Breaker
How many scorers do we need total?

And we still need a coordinator/organizer.

Depending on what that job requires, I would definitely consider it. I'd love to coordinate if the requirements are doable!

Per number of scorers: how about two per discipline and three who can do all of the disciplines? (For backup, in case one is unavailable, and also to include more people.) That's 11 people, so unless tons more people stepped up, that would cover everybody who currently wants to participate.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd be happy to score Dance.

FGMT and I shared the overall Pewter medal last year. Dave and Jenny are right--there is no love for Pewter. So I'm aiming for the podium this year!

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Looking forward to the game.
Last season I scored ice dance discipline. It takes a lot of free time and with all my family matters I can't do that this season. But I'm ready to be a substitute scorer if one of the main scorers will be too busy.
Hopefully we will find an organizer/coordinator soon. I take it Mrs.P is busy with her family too :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'd like to organize, as this is probably the last year I will have enough time to do something like this. I just don't know what I have to do to get the job.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You have the job, if you want it. Caro Liza Fan may be able to help you get started with it.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Awesome! I'm in! :cheer:

If I'm not mistaken, CaroLiza_Fan was the coordinator last year?

Mrs.P was the coordinator for GP Prediction Game, and CaroLiza_Fan was for ISU Prediction Game.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Would it be permissible to extend this to the JGP? It's sooner (now), it's more unpredictable (lesser-known names can surprise us more so than they can in seniors), and it's a good small-scale, lower-stakes intro for new posters or people who didn't have an opportunity to play last year. I think it would be a good testing ground, and it would allow me to learn the ropes of game coordination while there are less people playing (which I really need to do :p).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Depending on what that job requires, I would definitely consider it. I'd love to coordinate if the requirements are doable!

Per number of scorers: how about two per discipline and three who can do all of the disciplines? (For backup, in case one is unavailable, and also to include more people.) That's 11 people, so unless tons more people stepped up, that would cover everybody who currently wants to participate.

Don't worry, the requirements for organising the game are not actually that big.

All you really need to be able to do it is have a rough idea of how to use Google Spreadsheets. And that mustn't be too hard to do, because I managed to pick it up quite quickly having never used it before! (And I am not the most technologically minded person in the world!)

Although, I have to admit, I cheat as I make up the spreadsheet in Excel 2003 beforehand, and then import it into Google Spreadsheets. :slink:

Once the Game starts, the organiser's main role is to start the Predictions Threads, and to organise the scorers.

The Predictions threads are easy, as you just use the previous round's thread as a template. The contents of the Original Post are pretty much standard, but the layout can vary depending on the personal preference of the organiser.

For example, here is an example of how I lay out the OP's, from Junior Worlds last season:

2015 Junior World Championships: Predictions Game

Although Junior Worlds was just a trial run, I have picked this round as the example as at the end I described the edits I had made to it.

Personally, I like to replace the entry lists with the SP starting order. But that was largely because the starting order disappears from the Entries/Results Pages once the competition starts, and I wanted a handy record of it for when I went to look up videos. But, last season Doris and Mrs. P started putting the starting order in the competition threads, so there is no longer a neccessity to do this.

To see what my layout looks like without replacing the entry lists with SP start orders, here is an OP where I forgot to do it :eek:: :

2015 European Championships: Predictions Game Round 1

Works just as well! Incidentally, in both cases the tables are copied directly from the Entries/Results Pages. The only change I made was to remove the flags, as Golden Skate doesn't support images within posts.

Organising the scorers is the most stressful part of running the game.

Traditionally, there was one scorer per category in the GP Game. But, when I started running the Nationals Game, I brought in 2 scorers per category, as there were occasions when we had 2 rounds being held at the same time (or one starting the day after another finished).

But, even then, there were occasions when you did not have enough people available.

My advice would be to get as many people in your scoring team as you can! Because you never know what might crop up.

Oh, I nearly forgot about the other stressful part of running the Predictions Game.

I realise this is the organisational freak in me going overboard, but I like to have all the players in the spreadsheet in alphabetical order, so that they can easily find their score. But, the problems arise when you have new players joining the Game late.

Now, this might just be my lack of knowledge about Google Spreadsheets. But, it seems that you can't just insert a new row to your tables without messing up the formulae. Instead you have to manually copy all the rows below where you want to insert the new player, and then paste them one row below where they were originally.

And if the scorers are not confident enough to do this themselves, it is up to the organiser to do it.

It is SOOOO monotonous! :rolleye:

Overall, though, organising the Predictions Game is an very fulfilling experience.

The only reason I am not volunteering to run the GP Game is that I want to properly prepare for the Nationals and ISU Games. Once the season starts in earnest, they come around quicker than you think!

If you want any further help with anything, don't hesitate to send me a PM!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do run a late season JGP short season game, if you would like, to get the feel of things.