Hawayek and Baker ready to push boundaries | Golden Skate

Hawayek and Baker ready to push boundaries

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
American ice dancers Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker couldn’t be happier with their first run on the senior circuit last season. They fully embraced their transition from juniors to seniors and felt they made a great splash. [More]

Most of their elements this season are new as the emerging team wants to reinvent themselves and push their boundaries.

“There is no point in playing it safe if you are going to produce the same skating year after year,” noted Hawayek. “We want to show everyone that we are growing as a team and looking for new and exciting things.”

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I absolutely adored their FD last season, even though it was a bit war-horsey, I enjoyed it a lot. They had a great first senior season, and hopefully they'll make the World Team this year and compete in Boston! I feel like both their SD and FD this season will fit their style without being 100% on the comfort zone, I'm glad they're looking for new things to try. And I didn't know they got involved in the choreography for their SD, one more thing to look forward to. I wish them the best of luck this season :yes:

samson

Medalist
Ahhhh Nutcracker for the SD. I'm guessing Waltz of the Flowers will be in there to fit the pattern. It could be the Waltz of the Snowflakes which I think has been woefully underused in figure skating. The challenge with that music is the changes in meter and the fact that the clear waltz section is pretty short.

I'll be curious to see how the FD plays out.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
American ice dancers Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker couldn’t be happier with their first run on the senior circuit last season. They fully embraced their transition from juniors to seniors and felt they made a great splash. [More]

Most of their elements this season are new as the emerging team wants to reinvent themselves and push their boundaries.

Love both of their music choices! Best of luck to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc, they're one of my favorite teams!

slider11

Medalist
Fabulous! I am so excited to see them in action. Any idea if they will be performing before SA?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Terrific article. Love this team. I think they have an excellent chance of making the podium at nationals (and consequently the world team). Very glad to see them working on new lifts--they used the same curve lift for both SD and FD the last two years! So if all works well, this could be the year they break through. It wouldn't surprise me at all. And they won't have to deal with the same resentment that the Shibs engendered. Slow but steady upward climb.

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
I also loved their last year's FD and the one they won the Jr Worlds with the year before and am greatly looking forward to seeing their new programs.

I must also say that I'm impressed that Kaitlin can both play the piano and draw and paint, while Jean-Luc doesn't look like such a food afficianado :).

Fabulous! I am so excited to see them in action. Any idea if they will be performing before SA?

Well, it says, "They will then be assigned to an ISU Challenger series event (Senior B) before they compete at their two upcoming Grand Prix events: Skate America and Cup of China." So apparently they'll compete somewhere before SA, we just don't know where yet.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Very glad to see them working on new lifts--they used the same curve lift for both SD and FD the last two years!

To be fair, it's a beautiful lift :) But I never thought it fit very well in the SD last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year, especially now that they're clearly Krylova and Camerlengo's number one US team.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To be fair, it's a beautiful lift :) But I never thought it fit very well in the SD last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year, especially now that they're clearly Krylova and Camerlengo's number one US team.

Absolutely--I thought it was better than Voir's (better, stronger curve--Baker has exquisite edges). But it was becoming so predictable that EVERY program was going to open with that curve lift. And you know, the multi-position lift they did in the R&J program was smooth and beautiful, so all the naysayers who kvetch they don't have enough of a size difference should start chowing down on their words! :)

Yes, I think Kyrlova might have a bit of what I call the "Igor Response": really start working the team who stayed so they beat the pants off the teams that left. Worked out very well for Chock & Bates. :)

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Absolutely--I thought it was better than Voir's (better, stronger curve--Baker has exquisite edges). But it was becoming so predictable that EVERY program was going to open with that curve lift. And you know, the multi-position lift they did in the R&J program was smooth and beautiful, so all the naysayers who kvetch they don't have enough of a size difference should start chowing down on their words! :)

Yes, I think Kyrlova might have a bit of what I call the "Igor Response": really start working the team who stayed so they beat the pants off the teams that left. Worked out very well for Chock & Bates. :)

To be honest I always felt surprised that Pasquale was working with P/I and H/D when I found that out... because H/B last year seemed lightyears ahead in programs and readiness. (I know H/D had that injury, but...) I wouldn't be surprised if the whole time (at least last year), they already treated H/B as one of their top priorities, which is why H/D and P/I left...

Frankly I just believe H/B have more skating talent than the other two teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more exciting/fun/engaging as a coach and choreographer to work and focus on them.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
LOVE this team. I don't watch ice dance (haven't for a while) but I'm exciting, finally I am excited.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Love this team! I am excited to see them this year. I like their music choices, they have a lot of potential. I hope they do well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They haven't been assigned to US International, Nepela or Nebelhorn. The only Challenger events left before SA are Finlandia (10/8-11) and Mordovan (10/15-18) in Russia, but that one isn't on the USFS schedule and it's too close to SA, so it has to be Finlandia.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They haven't been assigned to US International, Nepela or Nebelhorn. The only Challenger events left before SA are Finlandia (10/8-11) and Mordovan (10/15-18) in Russia, but that one isn't on the USFS schedule and it's too close to SA, so it has to be Finlandia.

I hope so. H/D have two Senior B's as of now and H/B have none. :confused:

slider11

Medalist
I wonder if usfsa wanted the judges to see where they were at Champ Camp, which is the US version of "pre-season" judge critique, before sending them out to a senior B. I think Finlandia is a good bet. I am disappointed not to see them at Salt Lake but I'll be patient. It sounds like these routines are pushing the limits and they need some time to gel. I think there's a lot of promise and there is a desire by coaches and country to bring them along properly.

bramweld

Record Breaker
They made a good first impression last season so I think they're being careful to ensure that they continue on the same bend.