Jump Analysis: Slo-mo vids | Golden Skate

Jump Analysis: Slo-mo vids

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well it's that time of year again when we begin examining jumps. Lets find good jumps to study thru slow motion videos and then dissect the technique and little nuances that make them successful. Of course we can also pick apart the edge calls and UR issues that the judges both see and miss.

For anyone new or not familiar with this thread it's simply a request line for slow motion edited videos like THIS. Feel free to offer suggestions to edit or make your own.

I'm currently uploading my first one that I've done and it will be Yuna Aoki's 3z-3lo and her 3f from the Riga Cup JGP SP.

If you like this type of thing then set up camp and join the fun. Any video makers are certainly welcome and feel free to bring your own flavor. Spins, Jumps, Steps, etc.... whatever. Come one come all.

Here is a link to Last Year's Thread if you want to see any of last years clips. Jumpamatrons are mostly jump editing movies and my "Remix" series videos are like fan videos where I deconstruct and re assemble a skaters performance or mix a whole bunch together to music.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually thought that it looked like a good jump. That's why I chose it as my first one. There were a few posts about it in the SP thread.

Does anyone have suggestions of a skater who did loop jumps that are undeniably fully rotated? I'd love to jumpamatron one if so.

frida80

Record Breaker
Combination loop jumps are almost impossible to find fully rotated so I don't have any suggestions. Check Tara Lipinski to see if her jumps are fully rotated.

frida80

Record Breaker

Hey, everyone disagrees about lots of skaters during the 6.0 era. She might not have fully rotate jumps. I'm just not willing to look at it myself. It's like someone told you there's no such thing as fairies or something. Well at least I know Midori's 3A is rotated.

Weathergal

Medalist
Yeah that's what I think too. It's close though

I actually thought that it looked like a good jump. That's why I chose it as my first one. There were a few posts about it in the SP thread.

Does anyone have suggestions of a skater who did loop jumps that are undeniably fully rotated? I'd love to jumpamatron one if so.

I was really cheering for it not to be UR because it is so hard to have the second 3Lo in a combo be fully rotated. I'd love to be wrong, and I have to say that I only notice the UR in the slow-mo.

AprilS

On the Ice
I thought it was really borderline with a lenient tech panel (some other iffy jumps from that competition also got a pass) :p I thought it was good enough though.

CarneAsada

Medalist

Irina Slutskaya 2005 Worlds FS (3Lz-3Lo) - if she ever stood that combination up, chances are it was fully rotated
Mao Asada 2007-08 JP Nationals SP (3F-3Lo) - probably her best ever (that I've seen at least)
Tara 1998 Olympics FS (3Lo-3Lo)
Sotnikova likely has some too; GPF 2013 LP?

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I guess I should make my first Jumpamatron of the 2015-2016 season:

https://youtu.be/nuuBc0ST0OY

Maria Sotskova Jumpamatron (1080p HD)
3Lz+3T, 3F+1Lo+3S, 3Lo

Is the text with element/BV/GOE useful or no?

Wow all those were UR, she's going to need to work on that ASAP or else she'll get buried when she moves up. Did she not get called on any of these? :unsure: I haven't had time to watch most of the JGP videos yet.

samm22

On the Ice
I guess I should make my first Jumpamatron of the 2015-2016 season:

https://youtu.be/nuuBc0ST0OY

Maria Sotskova Jumpamatron (1080p HD)
3Lz+3T, 3F+1Lo+3S, 3Lo

Is the text with element/BV/GOE useful or no?

Thank you!!! Whoa, those all looked under...the lutz-toe almost looked like a downgrade to me...anyway, I think adding the bv, goe, and score is helpful to see what the judges called. She didn't get called on any of these. I don't know how that happened

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you!!! Whoa, those all looked under...the lutz-toe almost looked like a downgrade to me...anyway, I think adding the bv, goe, and score is helpful to see what the judges called. She didn't get called on any of these. I don't know how that happened

While I 100% agree that the 3z-3t should have gotten a > call I'm going to speculate as to the reason it didn't get called just for the sake of discussion.

1) She landed with her body fully rotated and it looked like her foot just got jammed up and caused the hook. It's an odd hook too. Very quick and TBH for me it was hard to spot in real time. She masked it pretty well IMO and clearly got away with one. A lot skaters who hook do so on the pick more and actually turn the body with the UR making it easier to spot. Or in other words...most easily spotted UR jumps are hooked on the toe with the ankle and somehow this oddball was almost pivoted with the center of gravity over the heel....I have now idea how TBH. Just speculation mind you :)

2) She isn't very well known for edge calls or UR's and so the panel may not have been looking as closely as they should and since it looks much much better in real time that they just didn't go back and double check. In other words no one flagged it for replay somehow and it just got lost in the shuffle. Another form of reputation judging if you will but this time in the skaters benefit.

FWIW: We all can see the UR and I'm sure if we are spotting it others will to going forward including members of the ISU. I'd being willing to place a bet that we'll be waiting a few seconds longer for Masha's scores in the KnC going forward. If I get time I'll go back and see if I can find some previous UR issues from her in the past but to my knowledge she not only has great edge jumps but has always had fully rotated jumps.

I didn't see very much of this event but of the few skates I did see I clearly remember Wakaba getting a freebie in the SP for her flip which looked like an (e) to me. Maybe the tech panel just isn't very consistent although there is probably a case of giving Wakaba a break after her unfortunate SP it still shows that they are missing things.

Last edited: