Caitlin Fields & Ernie Utah Stevens | Golden Skate

Caitlin Fields & Ernie Utah Stevens

samson

Medalist
I was trying to search online and the forum for information on the two of them and of/when we'll see them this season and haven't seen anything yet.

Based on instagram it looks like they were training in Moscow for a few weeks this summer. I don't think they're slated for the JGP, have they aged out? Will we maybe see them in some senior B's? I'm assuming they plan to compete at the senior level since they won the junior national title.

I'm just curious. They're still such a new team but they certainly showed a lot of promise. It still remains to be seen if any of these new US pairing can stay healthy and together long enough to amount to much success but we certainly seem to have a large crop of newish US teams with lots of potential. Could make for a fun nationals!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

samson

Medalist
Ah thanks for compiling all their social media Doris. I'm looking forward to eventually getting to see them. I don't think they were at Champs Camp since they don't have a grand prix assignment and I bet we would have seen something to indicate their presence there.

It looks like they passed their senior pairs test just this July. It also looks like they have a nice article on the two of them in Skating Magazine.

Here's to hoping USFSA will send them to a Senior B or two. It would be a real shame for them to not get any real experience this season before nationals. I'm curious what elements they're working on this season. They had a triple twist last year but it definitely was a bit of a crash landing, still... considering it's only been a year together that's impressive.

I'll also be curious to see their side-by-side elements.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Are they at Champs Camp? ...

... I don't think they were at Champs Camp since they don't have a grand prix assignment and I bet we would have seen something to indicate their presence there. ...

I think Doris is referring to the USFS pairs camp that takes place in Colorado Springs immediately after the Champs Camp for GP competitors in all disciplines.
The pairs who attend the pairs camp do seem to refer to it as Champs Camp as well -- I guess partly b/c for some pairs, one camp blends right into the next.
Informal photos of last year's pairs camp showed that it was not limited to GP competitors. IIRC, both Donlan/Bartholomay and Castelli/Tran took part.

But .... I don't know whether Fields/Stevens were at this year's pairs camp.
The one random photo that I happened to see this year was from Alexa. IIRC, it showed Chris and her, Mervin and Marissa, and Max Settlage.

Off topic:
Per a tweet from Tom Z, this year's pairs camp had a jump comp with a prize of $1000 -- won by Tarah/Danny.
So the ankle injury of Danny's that prevented them from competing at Skate Detroit must be a thing of the past.
And tonight (Saturday night), Tarah/Danny will perform in the Skate for Hope show in Florida.​

One more thing re Caitlin and Ernie:
They were mentioned in yesterday's (Friday's) IN article re pairs who the IN pundits predict will have a "breakout" season in 2015-16.
IIRC, Amy Rosewater was the one who is predicting that they will finish among the top five senior pairs at Nats.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Can I just say that Ernie Utah Stevens is a really cool name? Anyone know the story behind it if there is one?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can I just say that Ernie Utah Stevens is a really cool name? Anyone know the story behind it if there is one?

I did read something somewhere about the story behind his name -- in an article last season on IN, iirc??

The origin of Utah was the name of a family friend, IIRC. (Someone who had worked for his family for many years, IIRC??)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-skating-pair-aims-at-2018-olympics/22473883/

Stevens' middle name, Utah, comes not from the mountain state but from a worker on his grandfather's Paris, Ky., farm. The farmworker became part of Stevens' extended family, just as the Butler community has been

(Butler is his college)

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/22/107173302/the-inside-edge-stevens-dishes-on-middle-name

As promised, we tracked down the story behind Ernie Utah Stevens' truly great name.

"Well, I'm a Kentucky boy," he said, "And my dad grew up on a farm. A man named Utah has worked on my grandpa's farm forever. He doesn't have any family of his own, and my middle name is in his honor. He was like a second grandfather to me. He taught my dad how to hunt and how to fish."

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone know if they are getting a Senior B? I'd hate to see them sit out until regionals and sectionals i mean these are the Junior Nationals champions they need to get out there and compete.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

That's a very cool story. It's also a great gesture from Ernie to include his middle name in his "professional" name. It shows it really means something to him.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Caitlin and Ernie in the top 5 this year, but I wouldn't be devastated if they weren't. I think they have a great future regardless.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Anyone know if they are getting a Senior B? I'd hate to see them sit out until regionals and sectionals i mean these are the Junior Nationals champions they need to get out there and compete.

USFSA wouldn't be doing there jobs well if they did that, would they? Surely they need to be gaining this pair some experience and getting them exposure.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
During the #JGPColoradoSprings Men's SP, Ernie has been participating in the online group chat within the ISU YT channel.

Excerpts:

Tanja-Kristiina Noranta: Ernie are you guys doing any Senior Bs this season? Yer my fave US pair

Ernie Stevens: Aw you are so sweet, Tanja! We shall see…..Stay tuned! Lips are sealed

[Then (FWIW) his Team USA friend Jimmy Ma (who I think was reacting to Ernie's answer): That's a yes to me.]​

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
During the #JGPColoradoSprings Men's SP, Ernie has been participating in the online group chat within the ISU YT channel.

Excerpts:

Tanja-Kristiina Noranta: Ernie are you guys doing any Senior Bs this season? Yer my fave US pair

Ernie Stevens: Aw you are so sweet, Tanja! We shall see…..Stay tuned! Lips are sealed��

[Then (FWIW) his Team USA friend Jimmy Ma (who I think was reacting to Ernie's answer): That's a yes to me.]​

This sounds promising, wooohoooo!!!

If only FT had pairs, too.....

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Excerpts:

Ernie Stevens: Aw you are so sweet, Tanja! We shall see…..Stay tuned! Lips are sealed��

I saw the conversation party go down. It was a party with him, Alexsei Krasnozhon, Jimmy Ma, and Michael Parsons.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two months later, has anyone heard anything? I haven't heard a peep, other than stalking Ernie's fb page, and he and Caitlin are definitely still partnered and skating. So what's the deal? Why would the US fed not give their junior championships a single assignment?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Two months later, has anyone heard anything? I haven't heard a peep, other than stalking Ernie's fb page, and he and Caitlin are definitely still partnered and skating. So what's the deal? Why would the US fed not give their junior championships a single assignment?

The USFS assignments page has shown an assignment for them for a long time (it has been there for several weeks at least).

IIRC, it is Golden Spin of Zagreb?? IIRC.

(I had mentioned their assignment previously in another thread that was discussing Fields/Stevens. Can't remember which one. Maybe their fan thread, if they have one now?)

ETA:
Lest anyone wonder, I was not complaining about the absence of a fan thread. I was saying only that I could not remember off the top of my head whether they now have one.​

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFS assignments page has shown an assignment for them for a long time (it has been there for several weeks at least).

IIRC, it is Golden Spin of Zagreb?? IIRC.

(I had mentioned their assignment previously in another thread that was discussing Fields/Stevens. Can't remember which one. Maybe their fan thread, if they have one now?)

I don't think I see a fan fest thread for them. Someone should create one!