High level skating class | Golden Skate

High level skating class

Myblade

Rinkside
Is it a good idea to sign up for a group skating class where a lot of the students are a higher level than you? The class is focused on jumps/power skating.

gkelly

Record Breaker
How much higher?

If you can at least attempt or fake your way through most of what they're doing, you can benefit from pushing yourself to skate faster or otherwise out of your comfort zone.

If they're doing double jumps, for example, and you're doing singles, would the instructor give you feedback on your jumps at your level, or would they ignore you?

If a lot of the time you'll just be in their way because you can't keep up, or have to stand on the side and not get any benefit from the instruction, then it would be a waste of your time and theirs.

I once took an edge class that included both adult and child skaters from preliminary/adult bronze (me) up to senior level. The instructor loved to include forward outside counters, which I cannot do at all, let alone at speed. So I either did a change of edge and three turn, or else I did the counters on two feet, and otherwise kept up with the rest of the exercise.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I would think it worth speaking to the instructor if at all possible. They are best positioned to know what they will be including and if it is worth your while.

loopy

Final Flight
I think it is best to talk to the coach, your coach or the skating school manager.
You can really be physically in the way if there is a big difference and it could be dangerous for everyone. If it is a small difference, you will be happy to have spoken with the coach so they know where you are with skills so they can give you different pointers.

Sebbe

Spectator
First things first, I'm a Swedish skater so everything is a little different. A lot of stuff are based on tests.

I myself am now in a group with mostly higher leveled skaters than what I am on, about half of them have more a few more tests than I and all of them have ages of experience which I don't have.

I really struggled to get to skate with that group since I've skated with them before and I feel much more comfortable in that group. Even if I can't do all of the stuff that they do (mostly with spins and such) I still do a lot better in that group than in any other, I feel more secure about myself and push myself a lot more.

I know that my couch is very good at organizing the groups and really looks at everyone in the group and gives pointers no matter what level and that has made me improve a lot.

As other people has said, talk to the couch. Maybe you could try to skate in that group and feel if you belong there or not.