Advertisement Music in Skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If a skater desires to use music from a commercial what are the
standard procedures for permission?

A skater can choose any music they want as far as I'm aware but the broadcaster and organization putting on the event will need to pay royalties to whoever owns rights to the music to publicly play the music.

YouTube will pull many great performances due to copyright issues.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There was a competitor at last week's JGP Riga Cup who skated to a piece of music entitled "The World of Rolex." I can only assume that is from a commercial. Link to her ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035020.htm

I have heard that music so many times over the years, as it is frequently used to introduce segments on particular sports during the sports bulletin on EuroNews. But it wasn't until you mentioned the name of the piece that it twigged with me that all the sports in question are indeed sponsored by Rolex.

The World Of Rolex

Even though it was created specifically to advertise a particular company, this piece of music is absolutely beautiful. And perfect for skating to!

A couple of hours ago, I posted a link to a video of Trifun Živanović's 1996 US Nationals SP to the Stupid Questions thread in reply to a comment made a few hours earlier.

But, after thinking about it for a while, I realised that the music that Trifun used for this routine probably falls into the category of "advertisement music", due to the fact that he has kept the 20th Century Fox jingle at the start.

So, what do you think?

CaroLiza_fan

begin

Medalist
I've thought about this as well since Mariah Bell's SP last season. Her music was a version of an original song created for Coca-Cola but I wonder if anyone else got their cut in royalties (probably not).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've thought about this as well since Mariah Bell's SP last season. Her music was a version of an original song created for Coca-Cola but I wonder if anyone else got their cut in royalties (probably not).

Actually, my understanding is that the song "Little Talks" (Or is it the group "Little Talks") was adapted by Coke for its commercial. I'm sorry I don't remember the particulars, it was posted in a thread in which I participated (I'm not even sure if it was here) where a YouTube was posted of the original. I don't know the commercial, didn't know the group, and although I found it informative, have no desire to listen to that group's music again, :shrug:so maybe folks who enjoy the original more here can help.

However, Mariah could skate to "old McDonald had a farm" and make it work...

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I have heard that music so many times over the years, as it is frequently used to introduce segments on particular sports during the sports bulletin on EuroNews. But it wasn't until you mentioned the name of the piece that it twigged with me that all the sports in question are indeed sponsored by Rolex.

The World Of Rolex

Even though it was created specifically to advertise a particular company, this piece of music is absolutely beautiful. And perfect for skating to!

A couple of hours ago, I posted a link to a video of Trifun Živanović's 1996 US Nationals SP to the Stupid Questions thread in reply to a comment made a few hours earlier.

But, after thinking about it for a while, I realised that the music that Trifun used for this routine probably falls into the category of "advertisement music", due to the fact that he has kept the 20th Century Fox jingle at the start.

So, what do you think?

CaroLiza_fan

Am I imagining that an ice dancing couple has also used that snippet of 20th Century Fox music in the last couple of years? I have a vague memory of this being part of a somewhat clumsy musical medley and that it was perhaps the Shibutanis but given the vagueness of the memory any assistance in reminding me where I've heard this music relatively recently would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
Actually, my understanding is that the song "Little Talks" (Or is it the group "Little Talks") was adapted by Coke for its commercial. I'm sorry I don't remember the particulars, it was posted in a thread in which I participated (I'm not even sure if it was here) where a YouTube was posted of the original. I don't know the commercial, didn't know the group, and although I found it informative, have no desire to listen to that group's music again, :shrug:so maybe folks who enjoy the original more here can help.

However, Mariah could skate to "old McDonald had a farm" and make it work...

Oh I'm not unclear of the song's origin. I was just wondering where ownership lies for that particular version (I'm guessing the rights belong solely to Coca-Cola).