Who's Going to Worlds? | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Who's Going to Worlds?

pmidi

Rinkside
Thanks sabinfire. This is a whole new experience for me and I'm sure that I'll have more questions. This is a great site to get information from those that have gone before.:)

balladeno1

Rinkside
Hello, all!~ It's balladeno1 here. Worlds is my first competition that I will be watching live. I have read back on some of the posts, but I have a lot on my plate right now and can't read all the pages. Would anyone kindly summarize the important points? It would be much appreciated. Also, if there is a GS get together, I'd love to go--no guarantees b/c I come with my dad. I love meeting new people! See you all soon!

R.D.

Record Breaker
With that, I have one question:

Where is the actual entrance to the Garden? I looked on Google Maps and Street View and all I see is parking and the North Station entrance. Is there a way to access the stadium entrance from the station without having to go outside? Do you have to go through the station to get to the arena? Or is the entrance on the back side? (I also saw a notice that the north exitway is being closed down and the MBTA is directing people to go south to Causeway St)

shyne

Final Flight
With that, I have one question:

Where is the actual entrance to the Garden? I looked on Google Maps and Street View and all I see is parking and the North Station entrance. Is there a way to access the stadium entrance from the station without having to go outside? Do you have to go through the station to get to the arena? Or is the entrance on the back side? (I also saw a notice that the north exitway is being closed down and the MBTA is directing people to go south to Causeway St)

http://worlds2016.com/transportation/
The official website posted a video of taking T from the Marriott Copley Place to TD Garden (Orange Line)
The last 30 sec or so is how you exit the station and enter the stadium. Hope this helps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It helps a lot actually. Thanks for posting that. It makes complete sense now - the entrance to North Station, and then going under the garage to enter the stadium.

Although it's interesting that from Copley Place, they chose to walk the extra(?) distance over to Back Bay Station as opposed to going a block down to Prudential Station on the Green Line which would also take you directly to the arena...

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
It helps a lot actually. Thanks for posting that. It makes complete sense now - the entrance to North Station, and then going under the garage to enter the stadium.

Although it's interesting that from Copley Place, they chose to walk the extra(?) distance over to Back Bay Station as opposed to going a block down to Prudential Station on the Green Line which would also take you directly to the arena...

This is most likely because the Green Line is far more complicated than the orange line because there are 4 green line branches and not all of them go to North Station. Some of them end at Park Street and you have to wait for another train that's going farther. So it's not as simple as just hop on the first train you see and you will go straight to North Station. It's not too complicated once you figure out the system, and the green line runs more frequently since there are multiple branches, but the orange line is much easier to explain to someone using the T system for the first time. I was a info booth volunteer for 2014 Boston Nats and we were encouraged to just tell people to use the orange line for simplicity's sake.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ah, I see. Thanks for the local perspective.

I figured it may have been something like that but I have to say, I'm not exactly a stranger to deciphering public transit systems, so it doesn't scare me too much...I was also wondering if it was a reliability issue. I suppose it would depend on how long the Park St transfer would take (if necessary).

The other thing is coming back late at night after events...I noticed they went through the mall, I assume that path would be closed off at that time and you'd have to walk outside? Just trying to get a lay of the land. The green line in that case would be a more direct route back for me.

For reference - I've actually been to Boston before, twice but last time was a while ago (2004 I believe). So there's a bit of vague familiarity but I'm sure much has changed since then.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My hotel during Nationals 2014 was along the green line, so I took that one most of the time and had no problem. Yes you have to make sure you're taking the right train, but I found it pretty easy to pick up. But like RD, I'm pretty good with public transit, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

charmblade

Final Flight
The green line is a bit notorious for the unpredictability of the trains. You'll see three D line trains in 20 minutes but not a single E line, things like that. One thing that is helping is they are finally putting the electronic signs in the station that tell you when the next train is coming and which line it is. They've had this info for the other trains (red, orange, blue) for a while but they're just getting around to it for the green line. It helps a lot being able to know when your train is coming. I find the T very easy to use, there are maps everywhere, but I can also understand it being a little overwhelming for someone who's never used public transit before. The good thing is that people are generally pretty friendly if you need to ask someone how to get somewhere or which train to take.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The green line is a bit notorious for the unpredictability of the trains. You'll see three D line trains in 20 minutes but not a single E line

Sounds like the bus system around here :rofl: :rolleye:

But a bit surprised to hear that the green line does not have the same live tracker that the other lines do. All the stations I've been to on the DC Metro have this, so I just assumed it would be a given. Not a good thing to not know when the next train is coming...

charmblade

Final Flight
They've been adding the green line tracker but last I heard it was only in one direction and not in all stations, but I don't take the green line as much as I used to so I'm not sure how widespread it is by now.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is most likely because the Green Line is far more complicated than the orange line because there are 4 green line branches and not all of them go to North Station. Some of them end at Park Street and you have to wait for another train that's going farther. So it's not as simple as just hop on the first train you see and you will go straight to North Station. It's not too complicated once you figure out the system, and the green line runs more frequently since there are multiple branches, but the orange line is much easier to explain to someone using the T system for the first time. I was a info booth volunteer for 2014 Boston Nats and we were encouraged to just tell people to use the orange line for simplicity's sake.

OK, if I understand the system using the on line planner, if we chose to use the green line from Copley, we must catch an "E" train, there and back to the north station.
1. How do we know where the train we are on is as far as getting off? How do we know what train is an "E"?
2. They showed some sort of cash machine. Can one purchase a weekly pass with those machines? Is the price of a weekly pass different for us seniors?
3. Does the Orange line at Back bay only have one train?
4. At some point, someone said the normal path from North station to the arena was under construction and we had to use the exit across the street. I am sure it will be well marked.

shyne

Final Flight
OK, if I understand the system using the on line planner, if we chose to use the green line from Copley, we must catch an "E" train, there and back to the north station.
1. How do we know where the train we are on is as far as getting off? How do we know what train is an "E"?
2. They showed some sort of cash machine. Can one purchase a weekly pass with those machines? Is the price of a weekly pass different for us seniors?
4. At some point, someone said the normal path from North station to the arena was under construction and we had to use the exit across the street. I am sure it will be well marked.

It's marked on the head, back and side of the train with LED lights what train and what the final destination is. Green lines merge from Copley to Lechmere. So if you are heading to North Station, get on any train that says to North Station or Lechmere (final stop) and get off at North Station. Some green line trains only gets you to Park Streets or Government Centers. If the train stops there, just get off and take a train behind you that's marked North Station or Lechmere.

You can purchase a one day or 7-days pass on the vending machine. They accept cash and credit cards. Not sure if the 7days means Sun-Fri or 7days since the date of purchase. Someone taking the train more regularly may know this.

Organe is the only T at Back Bay, but there's Commuter Rail there as well (purple line some people calls it), much less frequent and take people further out of Boston.

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight

shyne answered most of this already, but I'll add that the weekly pass is for seven days from the date of purchase. I know there is a senior rate for monthly passes and individual rides, but I'm not sure for the weekly pass. If you are heading from North Station back to Copley, you can take any green line train, they all go to Copley. Not sure exactly what you are asking for the Back Bay question, but the orange line has only one route so any orange line train you get on will go to the exact same stops as every other orange line train. That's why it's much less complicated than the green line. And yes, the subway entrance to North Station that is next to the garden is closed, you have to use the entrance on Causeway St. It's pretty easy to find, but it will take a couple extra minutes of walking. (I just did this two nights ago with no problem) It's fairly well marked, inside the station you only have one option for exiting and the Garden is a fairly big building so you should see it pretty easily. The exterior of the station has a huge T sign so it's pretty easy to find as well. Once you do it once you should have no problem doing it again in the future so just maybe give yourself a little extra time the first time you take the train and probably try it in the daylight.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
For the Senior discount, I don't think there's an option for that on the fare machines. Seniors have to visit the CharlieCard Store inside Downtown Crossing station to get a temporary senior pass. I just called the customer service line at MBTA to confirm this since I have older relatives coming from out of town. They don't have any weekly discounts for seniors, unfortunately.