2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings

Daniel1998

Final Flight
With the season fast approaching, I thought it might be a cool idea to do top 10 Power Rankings for the upcoming year. Post your top 10 going into the season for the MEN'S discipline. I might even do a points-based tally right before the start of Skate America, and do a final post listing the collective power rankings for each discipline that would be entirely made up from your lists. Who do YOU guys as a whole favour most going into the season?

You can provide short (or long!) explanations for your choices if you like, but it's ok if you just do a list. I will be doing mine shortly, hope to hear from all of you!

Link to DANCE power rankings: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56375-2015-2016-DANCE-Power-Rankings

Link to PAIRS power rankings: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56374-2015-2016-PAIRS-Power-Rankings

Link to LADIES' power rankings: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56371-2015-2016-Power-Rankings

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1 Chan gets huge PCS scores ;) and deserves them
2 Ten skates once again gorgeous programs and barely gets edged out by Chan...
3 Hanyu tried too hard... made mistakes... holds on to the podium
4 Nguyen consistency
5 Fernandez too many mistakes holds him back.. pressure of defending champion
6 Brown steady, good, not enough weapons
7 Han
8 Murakami
9 Pitkeev newcomer, most potential for a Russian skater as of now
10 Ge does well...and barely hangs on to top 10.

Last edited:

Florencito

Medalist
1. Hanyu Best technician out of the Fab4 :)p), finally gets his first good FP since that R&J#1

2. Chan Best skater out of the Fab4

3. Fernandez Best performer out of the Fab4 but so prone to make stupid and costly mistakes

4. Ten Best overall skater out of the Fab4 but he's never been constant

5. Uno Bad start of the season but it can happen to everyone, this flop might fire him up even more

6. Nguyen Out of all the others he seems to be the most solid one

7. Jin He could be higher despite the faults in many skating departments, but can he land constantly those jumps?

8. US guys Great skaters and performers, unstable jumpers, same old same old

8. Voronov and Pitkeev Kovtun is a mess, Sexey and Pitkeev might leave him out of the world team

10. Han Most unstable skater, great potential

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I put no stock in these kind of rankings because it always comes down to personal bias, but lol @ Javier making "too many mistakes" to be considered a major threat, as if the other top guys never make any. He is the world champion, silver GP medalist, and 3-time European champion, all in spite of any mistakes he made.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
erm... i have used this as entertainment... and i think that you are correct...about one thing... he is now the WC and with the crazy dense field this year, he will feel the pressure and make mistakes, like in previous years... costly ones... that's all... i like javi very much, very happy for last year's win... but this year is different.. and yes, it's totally subjective... and that's why it's fun to just do this.... why not? if it's not your thing, fair enough ;)
I put no stock in these kind of rankings because it always comes down to personal bias, but lol @ Javier making "too many mistakes" to be considered a major threat, as if the other top guys never make any. He is the world champion, silver GP medalist, and 3-time European champion, all in spite of any mistakes he made.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

He also is a twotime World bronze medalist.

tzazu

Medalist
1. Hanyu
2. Fernandez
3. Chan
4. D.Ten
5. J.Brown
6.S.Voronov
7.Kovtun
8.S.Uno
9 N.Nguyen
10 Han

HanDomi

Record Breaker
1. Hanyu
2. Chan
3. Ten
4 Fernandez
5. Nguyen
6. Jin
7. Chen
8. Brown
9. Uno
10. Pitkeev

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
1.Hanyu
2.Chan
3.Ten
4.Fernandez
5.Nguyen
6.Han Yan
7.Brown
8.Uno
9.Farris
10.Kovtun

moriel

Record Breaker
Taking #1 as 10 points, #2 as 9, etc etc etc and no mention as 0 points and averaging everybody's preferences, we have:

1. hanyu
2. chan
3. ten
4. fernandez
5. nguyen
6. brown
7. uno
8. han
9. jin, voronov
10. kovtun
11. farris
12. pitkeev
13. murakami
14. ge

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Jin senior this year? I suppose b/c Nathan is technically a junior, he's not being considered? Or has Jin stolen his thunder, lol!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
World Champion because Hanyu wasn't 100, though a win is a win so...

1. Yuzu
2. Patrick
3. Clean!Denis
4. Javi
5. Nam
6. Shoma
7. Jason
8. Han
= Voronov
10. Maxim
= Joshua

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
1. Chan
= 2. Hanyu
3. Javi
4. Ten
5. Kovtun ** (he should be 10th, but being Russia #1 gave him approx 10-15 points cushion to everyone else)
6. Nam
7. Nathan Chen
8. Han Yan
9. Farris
10. Uno

No Brown. Sorry I just can't get over the fact you are consistently over marked by 30 points while skate at US Nationals vs Internationally going quadless. To the point I'd rather put 2 quads Kovtun ahead of you grudgingly :laugh: HOWEVER... Given the world championship is going to be in the US :popcorn:, I doubt team Brown are worried. Worlds at US may boost Jason another 10-15 points, which makes him on parallel with Kovtun as the biggest inflated male skaters around...due to #1 status, which makes it hugely entertaining when things don't go according to plan and then all the biases are even more obvious.

I'd like to put Boyang around 7 or 8 under an ordinal system, but given how COP, reputation and politics works, I am not hopeful at his chances. Everyone will likely to place above him due to high PCS whatever he does. Apparently doing big cheesy grins, do the fore finger choreography, tons of musically irrelevant transitions with overdone expression to show that you are REALLY not a robot, works better than any quads in this 'sport' these days.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
1. Hanyu
2. Chan
3. Ten
4. Fernandez
5. Nguyen
6. Voronov
7. Brown
8. Jin
9. Kovtun
10. Uno

I weirdly don't know where to place Misha Ge... I love his skating but despite his Worlds results I don't see him in the top10 . It seemed kike a fluke because so many guys messed up royally. But then if he remains consistent with upped PCS, I'll kick Kovtun off the list and give the spot to Misha.

And oh how it hurts tha Amodio is nowhere near that list. :cry:

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
1. Chan
= 2. Hanyu
3. Javi
4. Ten
5. Kovtun ** (he should be 10th, but being Russia #1 gave him approx 10-15 points cushion to everyone else)
6. Nam
7. Nathan Chen
8. Han Yan
9. Farris
10. Uno

No Brown. Sorry I just can't get over the fact you are consistently over marked by 30 points while skate at US Nationals vs Internationally going quadless. To the point I'd rather put 2 quads Kovtun ahead of you grudgingly :laugh: HOWEVER... Given the world championship is going to be in the US :popcorn:, I doubt team Brown are worried. Worlds at US may boost Jason another 10-15 points, which makes him on parallel with Kovtun as the biggest inflated male skaters around...due to #1 status, which makes it hugely entertaining when things don't go according to plan and then all the biases are even more obvious.

I'd like to put Boyang around 7 or 8 under an ordinal system, but given how COP, reputation and politics works, I am not hopeful at his chances. Everyone will likely to place above him due to high PCS whatever he does. Apparently doing big cheesy grins, do the fore finger choreography, tons of musically irrelevant transitions with overdone expression to show that you are REALLY not a robot, works better than any quads in this 'sport' these days.

Oh for pete's sake, was this really necessary? It's like any and every topic is an excuse to trash Brown, from Jin's 4Lz to power rankings, what's next, Yuna Kim's Sochi silver? This obsession needs some reins.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, this is how it will go.

1= Hanyu
1= Chan
The battle of inflation. Who can fall the most times and still win stuff? Skate Chanada will be horrible!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh for pete's sake, was this really necessary? It's like any and every topic is an excuse to trash Brown, this obsession needs some reins.

Sure... show me a bigger inflated skater, then I will pick on him/her/they instead :p
In any case, hardly trashing him only. He is at least equal to Kovtun @ #5 :rofl: With skating in the US bonus at WC, controversially, I'd peg him for a medal at 4:1 chance. He just have to skate clean (I doubt he will go for a quad either and will likely play safe after so many falls due to these high altitude factor, likely include Hanyu nearing passing out stage at end of his insane tech FS), and then USFSA will give themselves tons of pat on their shoulders for 1)Geography - that has nothing to do with them, 2)US men don't need quad to rule a quad podium, further validation of Lysacek's medal over Plushy Quads God. :drama:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Sure... show me a bigger inflated skater, then I will pick on him/her/they instead :

Going on and on about it in even unrelated threads like Boyang Jin's and bringing every discussion down to it isn't just picking on a skater, this is obsessive haterade at its worst.

Last edited: