Your favorite Madame Butterfly? | Golden Skate

Your favorite Madame Butterfly?

Imagine

Medalist
For me, it also Shizuka's Opera On Ice performance...perfect Ina Bauer placement and easy elegance...but I have to say, even though Shizuka is my all time favorite skater, Mao's competitive program is superior to Shizuka's competitive version...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really liked Dubreil and Lauzon's Madame Butterfly - not the most typical but just a wonderful interpretation.

Meoima

Match Penalty
For me, it also Shizuka's Opera On Ice performance...perfect Ina Bauer placement and easy elegance...but I have to say, even though Shizuka is my all time favorite skater, Mao's competitive program is superior to Shizuka's competitive version...
I also think Shizuka's competitive version was meh. Thank you Tarasova :scowl: But Shizuka paid it back with the greatest ever Madame Butterfly at Opera on ice. :love:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Who is your favorite Madame Butterfly? It doesn't matter if it's competitive program or ice show program.

To me it's Shizuka: https://youtu.be/kH9gU4iE8WY

:drama: Fancam: https://youtu.be/bFPsZcks3zw

I think Shizuka suits this role the most, both her appearance and interpretation are superb, this is my ideal Madame Butterfly.

Thanks for the link! Very beautiful performance..... (and to those that think Lyrics dont work for figure skating, TAKE THAT! ;)

Mafke

Medalist
Renata Scotto - gold (big italian temprement for the win)

Leontyne Price - silver (the single recording that most got me hooked on opera)

Catherine Malfitano - bronze (not the most vocally... brilliant, but committed and engrossing)

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao's is my favorite. She moved my soul with her subtlety and sensitivity, floating like a butterfly through the travails of life with a marvelous arabesque and an expressive spread eagle as she opens her arms wide to embrace the audience: desperate because she is the Butterfly whose husband has flitted away with nobody to take his place. She covers every corner of the rink as if she is skating out of the screen in three dimensions, especially in her desperate forward thrust at the beginning of her step sequence: a passion spurred by loneliness. She soars all the way to the boards. Then, there is a suspenseful moment when I think she will collide before she turns to cruise smoothly to the other side.

Mao shows her versatility and flexibility with two variations on the Biellmann, one from the side out of a camel transitioning into a donut spin, and the other her beautiful tear-drop shaped Biellman near the end. Genuine in expression and spiritually transcendent, athletically challenging and artistically dazzling. The delayed rotation, posture, symmetrical air position a, lift and beauty of her jumps are marvelous. She combines delicate lyrical expression with powerful execution as she prances and pirouettes, rhythmically shifting her weight quickly from one skate to next in her climatic step sequence.

Last edited:

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Weaver and Poje!
The only decent fd they've ever had.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Renata Scotto - gold (big italian temprement for the win)

Leontyne Price - silver (the single recording that most got me hooked on opera)

Catherine Malfitano - bronze (not the most vocally... brilliant, but committed and engrossing)

I like Callas version more. :biggrin: Freni was good as well.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
What da what? Their forgettable FD from the first season they were together? Okay.....

False. It got them noticed and they medaled at their first senior nats whilst still juniors. Sadly, they never capitalized from there on out.