2015-16 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Japanese Ladies skating

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
A belated addition to the States of Golden Skate Figure Skating Dissection. ;)

Here is a thread to discuss the ups and downs of the Japanese ladies this season.

I will start by congratulating Marin Honda, Mai Mihara and Yuna Shiraiwa on their qualification for the Junior Grand Prix Final and asking what people think of their chances?

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
The japanese junior ladies field is incredibly deep this year! It's hard to predict who will end up on top. I can only imagine Jr. Nationals :drama:

witcher

Match Penalty
OK, so being Russian ladies uber I started watching today's Marin Honda free skate with pure "beat Wakaba for Alisa" attitude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ENp3Sx0ICw

After couple of minutes I completely fell in love with this girl's skating - her arms are magnificent and she lands her jumps with such softness and elegance that it's impossible to believe she was two feet above the ground the moment before. At 14 years of age and last skate deciding about her GPF future, through the whole performance Marin was simply radiating with calmness and confidence... :shocked:
Japanese ladies skating seems to have smooth, elegant and charming future. :love::yes:

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
What a lovely post, Witcher. It is lovely when we discover other skaters to like, isn't it? :biggrin:

I have always tended to love Japanese skaters from my Queen Akiko to the magnificent Mao back to the majestic Shizuka and the amazing Midori and so many others. Now, I find myself thinking Japanese skating is still in good hands with Mao back, Satoko with such wonderful quality to her skating and these amazing Juniors as a well as some other promising Seniors. So happy.

jg2000

On the Ice
Really loved Marin's skating today; I think she's my favorite of the Japanese junior ladies. I think they all have a decent chance at the final; right now it looks like Polina and Maria may win (mainly based off overall scores), but I wouldn't count any of these three out. I think I'd love to see Marin win it all, but I'm not sure that will happen. Mai and Yuna seem slightly more consistent, although I personally think Marin is the most talented overall of the three.

On a different note, I enjoyed Rika today in Finlandia. I think I enjoy watching her more than Satoko. Hope she does well in the fs.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Rika has my favorite ladies' SP this season, and she usually bores me to death. Satoko's programs are nice too, as are Marin's. I hope Wakabby can get herself back into shape for nationals, and anyone have news on Yuna_A?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I hope this is not a part of Fan Fest section to allow critical views. Of course, Mao Asada is a stand alone case - she is a factor of global importance - she is not just about the state of Japanese skaters. Besides we could see a strong backup led by Satoko and Rika and supported by juniors. I would divide them all in 2 groups. One group is Satoko, Yuna S, and Mia Mihara - consistent, reliable but also skating small and not very inspiring to me. They all make very similar impression. I do not think they are real competition to the top Russians both senior and junior although they may get podiums if someone stumbles.

The second group consists of skaters at different stages of development but all with strong and unique skating personalities.
I like Rika. She does not skate small - quite the opposite. She is a fighter and she is consistent. I hope she will overcome her issues like akward posture and flutzing, build good reputation with judges, and become the second lady after prima Mao.
I wish Wakaba to get well overcoming back issues. I don't like her skating but I cannot deny that she is unique with her speed and power.
And finally Marin. Recent junior podium sweeps and retirements of the great led to sort of national conceit - "the time of the Russian rule in ladies FS has come". Frankly speaking, I share the view that our current line-up and our junior field are the strongest. Marin Honda is the only one in the junior circle who looks to me capable of winning any competition and who can further develop into a great skater. She has presence, charisma, and necessary skills. May grow into a formidable competitor already this season. But this is good - people may become bored if it is known that Russia is going to win. No one watches artistic gymnastics including the Russians.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It is in The Edge so I think you're safe. ;)

My take is that 'skating small' is often just a more delicate style that is a contrast to other styles. I can enjoy a wide variety of styles including ones like Satoko who have smaller jumps but beautiful spins, steps and a lovely, delicate presentation.

For my critical take, I love lots of aspects of Rika's skating, but her posture really detracts too much for me.

Layback11

Record Breaker
With all the great juniors plus Mao and Satoko (even Rika is growing on me, Miki Ando-ish as she is), team Japan is shaping up to be my favorite team this year.

(Apologies to Gracie + Elena and Yulia....you don't have enough teammates I like for that :p)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marin looks world class with how she skated today. And it's nice to not see all those flailing arms and tano jumps that the Russian girls overdo. If she keeps her jumps she looks like a future World champion.

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
Marin Honda is the only one in the junior circle who looks to me capable of winning any competition and who can further develop into a great skater. She has presence, charisma, and necessary skills. May grow into a formidable competitor already this season. .
This. :yes:
That's what struck me the most in her skating today - charisma.

What a lovely post, Witcher. It is lovely when we discover other skaters to like, isn't it? :biggrin:
Yes, it is and thank you. :agree:
I'm still all-in for my Russian babies though. Thing is, I'm a new fan and it's the first time I encounter non-Russian junior talent of such magnitude. I'm surprised. :biggrin:

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
After my somewhat critical comment of Rika, I just want to say though how much I like her programmes this year and how far I think she has come in performance and even in improvements to her posture. She may not be a fave but I am so pleased for her. Especially since my Queen Akiko can take a lot of credit. ;) She is now in first at Finlandia at the end of the SP and it is well deserved. So, go, Rika!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
After my somewhat critical comment of Rika, I just want to say though how much I like her programmes this year and how far I think she has come in performance and even in improvements to her posture. She may not be a fave but I am so pleased for her. Especially since my Queen Akiko can take a lot of credit. ;) She is now in first at Finlandia at the end of the SP and it is well deserved. So, go, Rika!

I was pleasantly surprised with Rika's SP. It's very unique, including the music, costume, and choreography. I'm glad she's stretching herself artistically, and I can tell she's already improving. I hope she continues to perform with great consistency!

Weathergal

Medalist
My take is that 'skating small' is often just a more delicate style that is a contrast to other styles. I can enjoy a wide variety of styles including ones like Satoko who have smaller jumps but beautiful spins, steps and a lovely, delicate presentation.

TheGrandSophy, I agree with you to a point, but I think Marin has a delicate quality, too, yet she definitely doesn't skate small to me.

This. :yes:
That's what struck me the most in her skating today - charisma.

And this is one of the reasons why--her charisma!

WOW!!!

Beyond being charismatic, she's super, duper GORGEOUS!! She could totally be a Japanese model. Jeez, her looks are almost distracting away from her skating.

She is gorgeous, but I think she could be a model period--not sure why the need to specify a Japanese model. :confused2:

Anyway, really enjoyed her skating and am looking forward to seeing more of her!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Satoko on her bronze at SA, although I thought her PCS was too low.

Miyu did well in the SP, but it was a shame she slipped down in the free.

samm22

On the Ice
Congrats to Satoko on her bronze at SA, although I thought her PCS was too low.

Miyu did well in the SP, but it was a shame she slipped down in the free.

I agree. Unless we're in an alternate universe, Satoko's PCS should ALWAYS be above Evgenia's.

gotoschool

Medalist
I agree. Unless we're in an alternate universe, Satoko's PCS should ALWAYS be above Evgenia's.

I agree that Satoko's PCS scores should be higher relative to the competition. In terms of Juniors, I definitely think Marin's PCS score at Zagreb should be higher than Polina's peak PCS score in her freeskate this season, yet it is the reverse. Polina's PCS is 2 points higher: 57+ compared to only 55+ for Marin. I think Marin's choreography, interpretation, expression and musicality matches the alternating moods of her Beetlejuice music wonderfully, her edge quality in and out of her jumps is fantastic, and she has received far more praise and more views for her performance on youtube. Her illusion spins, Biellmann and step sequence are also fabulous, as are her graceful and expressive arm movements. She truly has a charismatic connection with the audience which should be rewarded more.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
All the Japanese ladies did fairly well at SA, so good job on that. :yes:

Satoko is a beautiful skater to watch, but the smallness of her jumps is far more glaring in person than it is on TV. However, she has a big ice presence for someone so tiny!

Miyu had a great short program and I was very pleasantly surprised with that. (Her jumps are actually huge and really gorgeous!) But, like so many other skaters, she fell apart in the FS...and that was the end of that.

Haruka had a great SP as well, and I was really happy for her after how badly she did at SA last year. But again, she fell apart in the FS. So...yeah.

That aside, Miyu is looking like one to watch this year!