What's Next for Alaine Chartrand? | Golden Skate

What's Next for Alaine Chartrand?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine tried her 3A in the FS at Skate America, although few in the US got to see it because IceNetwork didn't show the last group of ladies for the FS, and NBC chose to start with Julia Lipnitskaia, skipping Alaine's FS.

Apparently Alaine got credit for the rotation of the 3A, but fell and the rest of the program was something of a disaster.

Her next GP is CoR in Moscow, Russia, where she faces SA gold winner Medvedeva, World bronze medalist Radionova, and Olympic gold medalist Sotnikova.

Will Alaine try the 3A again in Moscow, or will she take a more conservative approach there and hope for a top 6 placement, if not a podium finish?

ovafanboy1

On the Ice
I actually liked her free skate, perhaps because I really like that music, but I think had it been clean, it would have been among my favorite of the night. Incredibly gutsy for her to go after the lutz-toe in the second half after she missed it the first time.

At this point, trying to be conservative to go for a medal in Russia hardly seems worth it; I'd rather see her go full out and maybe she'll land the 3A. She's got nothing to lose, so maybe she'll have a big turnaround.

lyndichee

Medalist
I don't see what's the point of trying the 3A when she barely gets 3Lz-3T consistently. I say work on the basics and land a FP with no URs first before trying a triple axel.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this point, trying to be conservative to go for a medal in Russia hardly seems worth it; I'd rather see her go full out and maybe she'll land the 3A. She's got nothing to lose, so maybe she'll have a big turnaround.

If she keeps bombing her FS, her reputation with the judges is on the line, so I'm not sure she has 'nothing to lose'. Even if she occasionally lands a 3a, but the rest of her FS is hit or miss with URs, 2-foots and stepouts, she really hasn't gained much overall because of the inconsistencies. Consistent good performance is what builds high PCS scores, not hitting a 3a once in a while. And Alaine needs to get those high PCS scores if she wants to contend with the big dogs.

Lizaveta Tuktamysheva was turning in one clean performance after another (and collecting gold medals along the way) before she starting trying 3a in her programs.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
She should give up the 3A in competition and just focus on getting her layout from last year successful including the 3-3. She completely fell apart after that 3A fall and it was really hard to watch. I think NBC did her a favour when they didn't show her, she cried a lot in the KnC. I think she can pick herself up but she's going to have to revamp her LP layout to something more manageable and she should build her way up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Alaine tried her 3A in the FS at Skate America, although few in the US got to see it because IceNetwork didn't show the last group of ladies for the FS, and NBC chose to start with Julia Lipnitskaia, skipping Alaine's FS.

Apparently Alaine got credit for the rotation of the 3A, but fell and the rest of the program was something of a disaster.

Her next GP is CoR in Moscow, Russia, where she faces SA gold winner Medvedeva, World bronze medalist Radionova, and Olympic gold medalist Sotnikova.

Will Alaine try the 3A again in Moscow, or will she take a more conservative approach there and hope for a top 6 placement, if not a podium finish?

Good for Alaine for getting credit for the rotation but the rest of the program was an absolute disaster, with mistakes on every jumping pass. My thoughts are that she should go for it on her second GP (heck, she can't do worse and won't make the GPF), to see if she can be more comfortable with it, but I don't think she should do it at Nationals if she wants to make the World team. Right now Daleman is looking stronger and Chartrand needs to show she's reliable even if the 3A doesn't pan out.

And yes, NBC did her a favour by not showing that skate. It's not something she would want to re-live. :disapp:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Wow. Just watched her FS. Not good. Also not thrilled to see warhorse Gone with the Wind trotted out yet again.

Is Michelle her main coach? Given all the star skaters he has, I can't imagine Brian has much time for her.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Dear lord, that was painful. :hopelessness:
She is NOT going to win nationals like that, especially with Osmond coming back only to immediately post a PB at Nebelhorn. If I were her I'd forget the axel and try getting some confidence back- she's in desperate need of a clean free program, to get her back on track psychologically. She looked broken yesterday, poor thing.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was even harder to watch live and in person. I was in the stands watching it and holding my breath (Literally I thought afterwards I was going to pass out). It was so painful to watch and I felt so bad for her. I had a feeling it wasn't going to go well, but I didn't expect that to happen. :(

Though I must say that the one silver lining in it is, despite that it didn't land, the 3A was fully rotated. And I saw some of the protocol for some of the attempts she did with it at summer competitions and they were downgraded. So I say good job on fully rotating it! That's hard to do for any ladies skater who's trying to land it.

Well there's like 3 1/2 weeks until the CoR so I hope very hard that the next competition with the FP will be even better!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think she should ditch attempting the 3A until after Nationals, at least. She probably won't win a World medal if she makes Worlds so she can take a risk there.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has she ever landed a 3A in practice?

That's the critical question, isn't it. To quote two skaters, last year Elizaveta T. said in a Russian bio special that her 3A wasn't stable yet, as an answer to why she hadn't included it (this was obviously before Worlds). I like that word stable, as opposed to what N.Amer. skaters say: consistent.

Jason Brown said last week-end that he has only been landing his quad every day in practice over the last 3 weeks. So it's a more realistic expectation that it will take time to land it cleanly and consistently in competitions, although that is his intention right now and an intention that Kori is holding him to.

The idea of throwing a 3A in just to see if it by some miracle "takes," is a more short-term motive. It would have been thrilling in the moment if she'd landed it, but it wreaked havoc, plain and simple.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Alaine didnot practice any 3A in practice IIRC. when she throw out that 3A in comp. I was totally surprised. It was just a gamble. Her practice was not consistent, LZ-Toe combo does not have the best technique either.
But I really liked Alaine's SP. especially in practice, she showed great SS, blade work and energy/ambition. For Alaine, I think she need to refine her jump technique.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

I would not panic just yet Chuckie...it was one bad skate and every skater has one sooner or later. Better to have it now and make adjustments than mid season. Her SP has been brilliant with the exception of the UR in the 3/3..a harder 3/3 than many out there by the way. The fact is, she competed in Europe a few weeks back and I felt that her performances merited a bronze (she finished 4th with some questionable scoring).

With an outside chance that she would have made the podium at Skate America...she took some risks, and it did not pay off this time. I see so much improvement in her skating over previous years and with time, I am sure she will be back in contention once again.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am not worried for her… and in some ways, almost happy she had such a bad skate… she needed to get one of those… often she skates 'ok" with a few UR etc… but nothing is AWESOME… she's capable of more… and to have such a disastrous skate might make her reach out for better and better and better… we learn from our mistakes, and what I am trying to say is that her previous programs, without being great, had what we consider smaller mistakes (two -foot, Urs…) crashing and burning will hurt for a little while but she will grow !!! and she has great coaches, and entourage… NOT WORRIED at all :) I love her skating and I remain positive!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i am not worried for her… and in some ways, almost happy she had such a bad skate… she needed to get one of those… often she skates 'ok" with a few UR etc… but nothing is AWESOME… she's capable of more… and to have such a disastrous skate might make her reach out for better and better and better… we learn from our mistakes, and what I am trying to say is that her previous programs, without being great, had what we consider smaller mistakes (two -foot, Urs…) crashing and burning will hurt for a little while but she will grow !!! and she has great coaches, and entourage… NOT WORRIED at all :) I love her skating and I remain positive!

Me too! Just like how I tried to stay positive and see that her 3A was actually fully rotated despite the fall! Which I think it's incredible considering that many ladies try to do it and never get it fully rotated at all. A fully rotated one is encouraging to me.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I agree! I am not worried about Alaine. She seems like a feisty girl and a fighter, so I am sure she will bounce back from this (very) rough skate. Hopefully she and her team will take a good look at the underlying causes of what happened and work to address them. I trust that her next outing will be much stronger. Plus, as CKH mentioned, getting credit for rotating the 3A is one positive she can take away from this! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the 3A… even with the fall and the deduction gave her 5.50pts… which was higher than many of her other elements ;) GO ALAINE :) will she be the first canadian lady to land the 3A? (in competition… i heard a long long time ago that josee had landed it in practice but i have no official legit quotes of that)i think it will get there…

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she'll land a 3a in competition :popcorn: :party2::yay::cheer2:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Good for Alaine! I can say I saw a fully rotated 3A from a lady in international competition now! :cool: