2015 Cup of China Pairs Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Pairs Free Skate

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I notices after the SP that she was kind of limping, not sure if she hurt herself somehow, and then learned after the LP that she was injured on early last week and was on pain killer. When re-watch the video, she was clearly pushing with her good foot when leaving the ice. Such a brave girl.
Since Sui was injured, I'm sure landing those throws must have hurt A LOT. This is the first time I've seen her land her throws with her fists clenched... poor girl :sad21:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
My apologies if this has been covered but in the CBC coverage of S/H's FS, Kurt said that when Sui went to her knee after the jump combo that it would be a fall deduction, yet the only deduction was for a time violation. Why did they not get a fall deduction?

exerym

On the Ice
My apologies if this has been covered but in the CBC coverage of S/H's FS, Kurt said that when Sui went to her knee after the jump combo that it would be a fall deduction, yet the only deduction was for a time violation. Why did they not get a fall deduction?

In russian TV Oleg Vasiliev explained that she shouldn't get a deduction, because technically it wasn't fall. It have to be 3 point of support to be called a fall (if she'd put her hand down it would be a fall).
I loved Vasiliev commentary. He explained many interesting things about rules (why IM got invalid element for lift or AR got invalid element for spin).

Kinga

Medalist
well… K/S…. the problem isn't that they aren't good and worthy of winning pretty much any event they enter…. the issue in my humble opinion, is that perhaps the Russian fed has lost hope on them in the sense that nationally, they haven't placed on top of the podium in so many years…. probably because their SBS jumps are weaker…. so I am glad that they are working on quad throws but until they are allowed in the SP, they better nail their 3T otherwise they will be held down after the SP…. in the LP, they do have some room to catch up teams but when the field is deeper like at worlds, it gets tough… but all this being said, kudos to them for winning! best wishes!!! PS I much prefer them to any other Russian team in the current field this year

I sort of get a similar feeling... I am afraid that K/S might be dumped in favour of young/developing/promising T/M and if S/K raise to the occassion. But lets hope they keep their consistency and momentum, then it is probably not going to happen. But any smallest mistake can drag them down in the Fed eyes, IMO...

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Thanks :) Did she start out as a single skater? When? OK, suppose I should ask a Japanese poster this. Anyway, I have a weak memory of her skating pairs for Japan with a Russian boy. They had yellow costumes in this memory and Moskvina was their coach I think.

Just now I found some information about her single's career. She was Japan junior Nationals bronze medalist in 1998 and Mexico Cup winner of Junior Grand Prix in 1999. Then in 1999 she moved to the USA and switched to pairs. She competed for Japan with Alexander Markuntsov. They were the first who won an ISU medal for Japan in pair skating, Junior Worlds silver in 2001. Their coach was Igor Moskvin, Tamara's husband. Actually I saw only one video of Kawaguchi and Markuntsov and remembered it because of a syncro fall in their SBS jump.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just now I found some information about her single's career. She was Japan junior Nationals bronze medalist in 1998 and Mexico Cup winner of Junior Grand Prix in 1999. Then in 1999 she moved to the USA and switched to pairs. She competed for Japan with Alexander Markuntsov. They were the first who won an ISU medal for Japan in pair skating, Junior Worlds silver in 2001. Their coach was Igor Moskvin, Tamara's husband. Actually I saw only one video of Kawaguchi and Markuntsov and remembered it because of a syncro fall in their SBS jump.

Youtube video of Yuko and Alexander: 4CC 2001, Free Skate to Spartacus

Here’s the SBS synchro fall on 3-toe: Short program Trophé Lalique 2001, skating to Carmen, both 19 years old. A lot of talking(information) during the skate.

She skated with Devin Patrick 2004-2006
http://www.tracings.net/kawa-patr.html

2005 Yuko and Devin Patrick practicing

According to wikipedia, Markuntsov began skating in shows with Catherine Harvey from Britain in 2008. They married in 2010 and are/were teaching figure skating in Birmingham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Markuntsov

I dug through my old video tapes and found Worlds in Washington 2003. There they were, skating in yellow costumes, a short program to Rachmaninov; charming performance with neat elements. Inventive spiral and spins. Artur Dmitriev watching and smiling in the audience and Moskvina beside them in K&C :) Technical points 4.4-5.6. (LOL, I would have given them positive GOE on all elements) Presentation 4.3-5.7. Placements 4-9. I think I heard booing.

Free skate to ’Those were the days’, Beatles. Great lifts and throws. Placements 3-7. In the end they finished 12th.

Kudos to Yuko and Moskvina. What a long ’up and down’ journey they are on!

Side note: Nostalgic watching the pairs competition from 2003. Only 13 years ago, but so different from now. Many pairs I don’t remember, but obviously Kavaguchi/Markuntsov caught my attention. Shen/Zhao won, Totmianina/Marinin did a fabulous short, Abitbol/Bernadis stopped skating due too pain in her left foot and were allowed to continue within two minutes, Hao Zhang as a youngster, a dark haired Volosochar skating with a guy named Kharchenko….. I know…another story…