11/28/2015 5:30am Ladies Free Skate
11/28/2015 10:00pm Free Dance

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Although Eurosport will be showing coverage of nearly all of the competitions at the NHK Trophy, I am afraid that the coverage is the bare minimum. This is due to 2 factors:

1. It is in Japan, which means the competitions are being held in the middle of the night in Europe.
  2. The second biggest snooker tournament of the season, the UK Championships, are being held this week. So there is not much free time for repeats.

Eurosport Deutschland, Eurosport Italia and Eurosport Nederland are showing the same coverage this week. But, the only LIVE coverage will be of the Men’s SP and the Ladies SP on Friday, and the Gala on Sunday. The rest will be highlights. And there will only be one showing of each highlights programme.

HOWEVER, I should warn you, I think there might be an error in the schedules on the Eurosport websites. According to the schedules, there are highlights of the Pairs SP on Friday morning AND on Saturday afternoon. BUT, there is no mention of the Pairs FS. So, I am wondering if the Saturday afternoon showing of the Pairs SP is actually the Pairs FS. It would make more sense if it was.

We will just have to wait and see.

Eurosport Hungary are showing even less. Why? FOOTBALL!!! :mad: :bang:

Instead of showing highlights of the Ladies SP on Friday afternoon, they are showing LIVE football. That isn’t too bad considering that the Ladies SP was shown LIVE earlier in the day. BUT, on Saturday, a LIVE football match means there is NO coverage of the Men’s FS and Ladies FS… AT ALL!!! :eek:

The other change in Hungary is that the Monday morning highlights of the Gala is NOT being shown, as they are showing football highlights.

Eurosport France are not showing the Friday afternoon Ladies SP highlights either. The difference is that this time it is LIVE Rugby which is being shown instead. It is Saturday that LIVE football comes into the equation. But, don’t worry, skating fans aren’t losing out on anything (it is the snooker fans that are losing out!) The football just means that the Pairs highlights that are causing confusion will be shown 3 hours later than on the other versions. They will be on at 16:00 CET in France, directly before the Men’s FS highlights at 17:00 CET.

The other change in France is that the Monday morning highlights of the Gala is being shown an hour later than they are elsewhere in Europe.

British Eurosport are not showing the Friday afternoon Ladies SP highlights either. The difference is that this time it is LIVE tennis which is being shown instead. Which would explain why Simon is not going to be commentating on the NHK Trophy (he told us at the end of the TEB Gala that it would be Chris and Nicky).

LIVE tennis is also causing disruption on Saturday. The Pairs highlights that are causing confusion will be shown at 16:45 GMT, while the Men’s FS and the Ladies FS will NOT be shown on Saturday.

Never fear, unlike in Hungary, British Eurosport WILL be showing them on Sunday morning… straight AFTER the LIVE coverage of the Gala! So, we will find out the results before we see the competitions! :rolleye: (Please note, the order of the 2 competitions has been reversed compared to the other versions. British Eurosport are showing the Ladies FS first, and then the Men’s FS)

The final change on British Eurposport is that they are not showing the afternoon highlights package on Monday afternoon.

Finally, it looks like the British Eurosport Player will NOT be showing coverage of the NHK Trophy. Here are the extra channels for each day.

Friday: 1 World Touring Car channel; 1 FIS Skiing channel; and 6 rugby channels.
Saturday: 2 FIS Skiing channels; and 2 snooker channels.
Sunday: 2 FIS Skiing channels; 2 snooker channels; 1 rugby channel; and 2 channels which don’t seem to be showing anything!

So, given that Winnie_20 was reporting SIXTEEN STREAMS on the Eurosport Nederland Player at one point during the Cup of Russia, I can’t see why they can’t fit in an ISU stream during the NHK Trophy.

CaroLiza_fan

Eurosport Hungary (All times CET)

Friday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2015
ESP2 08:15 – 09:45 Men’s Short LIVE
ESP2 09:45 – 11:00 Pairs Short
ESP2 11:00 – 12:45 Ladies Short LIVE

Saturday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2015
ESP2 09:45 – 10:30 Short Dance
ESP2 13:00 – 14:00 Pairs Short

Sunday 29[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2015
ESP2 06:00 – 07:00 Free Dance
ESP2 07:00 – 09:00 Gala Exhibitions LIVE

Monday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2015
ESP1 17:00 – 19:00 (Highlights?)

Eurosport Deutschland, Eurosport Italia, Eurosport Nederland (All times CET)

ESP2 16:30 – 17:45 Ladies Short

ESP2 13:00 – 14:00 Pairs Short
ESP2 17:00 – 18:00 Men’s Free
ESP2 18:00 – 19:00 Ladies Free

ESP2 08:30 – 10:00 Gala Exhibitions

Eurosport France (All times CET)

ESP2 16:00 – 17:00 Pairs Short
ESP2 17:00 – 18:00 Men’s Free
ESP2 18:00 – 19:00 Ladies Free

ESP2 09:30 – 11:00 Gala Exhibitions

British Eurosport (All times GMT)

BES2 07:15 – 08:45 Men’s Short LIVE
BES2 08:45 – 10:00 Pairs Short
BES2 10:00 – 11:45 Ladies Short LIVE

BES2 08:45 – 09:30 Short Dance
BES2 16:45 – 17:15 Pairs Short

BES2 05:00 – 06:00 Free Dance
BES2 06:00 – 08:00 Gala Exhibitions LIVE
BES2 08:00 – 09:00 Ladies Free
BES2 09:00 – 10:00 Men’s Free

BES2 07:30 – 09:00 Gala Exhibitions

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Although Eurosport will be showing coverage of nearly all of the competitions at the NHK Trophy, I am afraid that the coverage is the bare minimum
Finally, it looks like the British Eurosport Player will NOT be showing coverage of the NHK Trophy.
I have written to complain about lack of "ISU" channel on Eurosport Player.
I urge all other subscribers do the same.

Eurosport are infamous for ignoring complaints but maybe... just maybe...
...if Discovery is taking an interest in their acquisition...
...things might be different now.

At the start of the GP series, it seemed it would provide complete live coverage, filling any gaps in Eurosport1/2 broadcasts, and providing "protection" against other live broadcasts over-running the scheduled skating coverage. And allowing Eurosport to actually broadcast the stuff they are paying exclusive broadcast rights fees for.

But after two GP events the ISU channel started to only appear when there was no Eurosport1/2 broadcast... and now it seems the "ISU" channel may in fact be dead altogether. If I'm only going to get Eurosport1/2 coverage in the Player, then the Player becomes worthless to me (I get those channels on my cable TV anyway, I don't need the Player for them).

If they are not going to re-instate the "ISU" channel, I want my money back.
It's the only reason I subscribed :p

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
My one-month subscription to the Eurosport player ended last Saturday, and I have no intention of renewing it. I again sent a complaint to Eurosport about the player app (first about the no-rewind options in the iTunes app, and then about the ISU channel not being available), and again never heard back from them.
I don't know if the sixteen channels were all used at the same time, but there definitely were sixteen channels listed in the app schedule at some point. But no ISU channel.
Long live Eurosport.
You know what really makes me angry? Eurosport has the rights to a bunch of Olympics in the Netherlands. Whereas we used to have the most brilliant coverage on the public telly channels and on-line, now we're gonna have to deal with this mess, commercials included. I already dread what they'll do with the 2018 Olys... They cannot even get this right!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lysambre

Final Flight
Although Eurosport will be showing coverage of nearly all of the competitions at the NHK Trophy, I am afraid that the coverage is the bare minimum. This is due to 2 factors:

1. It is in Japan, which means the competitions are being held in the middle of the night in Europe.
  2. The second biggest snooker tournament of the season, the UK Championships, are being held this week. So there is not much free time for repeats.

In Europe, it won't be the middle of the night at all, it will be the middle of the DAY ;). It'll be the middle of the night in the Americas though.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In Europe, it won't be the middle of the night at all, it will be the middle of the DAY ;). It'll be the middle of the night in the Americas though.

OK, so maybe I was a wee bit off the mark with "middle of the night" (I hadn't actually checked the competition schedule. I was guesstimating the start times for each day based on the time of day that the action starts whenever there are motorbike race meetings in Japan).

BUT, you are futher off the mark with "middle of the DAY". 5:20 in the morning GMT (for the Pairs competitions) is definitely NOT "middle of the day" by any stretch of the imagination!!!

To be honest, I would be happy enough to get up early and watch at this time (let's face it, I normally wake around 5am, and can never manage to get back to sleep).

But, I think the reason Eurosport are not showing these early morning competitions LIVE is that it would mean a pile of their staff (not just the commentators) would need to be getting up in the wee small hours. And I think that is what is putting them off.

Still doesn't mean we have to be happy about it!

My one-month subscription to the Eurosport player ended last Saturday, and I have no intention of renewing it. I again sent a complaint to Eurosport about the player app (first about the no-rewind options in the iTunes app, and then about the ISU channel not being available), and again never heard back from them.
I don't know if the sixteen channels were all used at the same time, but there definitely were sixteen channels listed in the app schedule at some point. But no ISU channel.
Long live Eurosport.
You know what really makes me angry? Eurosport has the rights to a bunch of Olympics in the Netherlands. Whereas we used to have the most brilliant coverage on the public telly channels and on-line, now we're gonna have to deal with this mess, commercials included. I already dread what they'll do with the 2018 Olys... They cannot even get this right!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I took out the 12 month subscription. If figure skating was the only sport that I used it for, I too would be wishing I hadn't taken it out. But, I am finding it very useful for the other sports I like that Eurosport shows. So, I am not regretting it just yet.

But, I do find it very annoying that the ISU channel is not always there. Because, I am like YesWay in that I like to watch the Warm-Ups. But Eurosport's TV channels normally show adverts during them, "to pay the rent" (as David Goldstrom often puts it during the ski jumping coverage).

That is why I like having the ISU channel there as well. So that I can watch the stuff that Eurosport misses while they are on adverts.

But, that is also probably the reason why Eurosport have taken the ISU channel off - because people are using it to avoid the adverts. And if people aren't watching the adverts, the advertisers are going to go somewhere else. And Eurosport loses their primary source of income.

As for the Olympics, I would say that Eurosport will have their issues sorted out by then. They are in a period of transition, going from having French owners to American owners. Issues always arise whenever a business changes ownership. And it takes time to sort them out.

Seeing how much money Discovery is putting into buying up sports rights, I cannot see Eurosport being just a 2 channel network for much longer. There just aren't enough hours in the day to show everything that they have the rights for. And there will be public outcry if most of the Olympics end up being shown on the internet.

No, within the next few years, I expect Discovery to expand Eurosport into a network of at least 4 or 5 channels. Something like Sky Sports, or BT Sport.

And I suspect that that is also the real reason that the original Eurosport channel has now acquired a "1" in it's name. They could get away with having no number when there were just 2 channels; but once there are more channels, it will start to cause confusion if one of them is referred to by the same name as the whole network.

But, until this period of transition is completed, it looks like we are just going to have to put up with these issues.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I've been sending them complaints for weeks already. I told them that I subscribed because they had the ISU channel listed and that I'm thoroughly pissed that said channel has now disappeared. And just at the time when they start to reduce their TV coverage. As a reply they basically sent me a "how to use our program guide". I then wrote them another email and thanked them for thinking that I'm an idiot who's unable to read a TV guide :sarcasm: and I asked them if they could maybe bother to actually read my email before they send me the next copy/paste form letter. They said they would pass on my request about the ISU stream to the programming department...... blah blah blah...... continuously trying to improve our service..... blah blah blah.... :rolleye:

My one-month subscription runs until tomorrow and I cancelled it today. And in their "oh you want to leave us? That's so sad, please tell us why so we can make it all better in the future"-inquiry I told them again that I feel that they got my subscription under false pretenses by first offering that channel and then taking it away without warning or reason.
I'm sure they care :rolleye:

Lysambre

Final Flight
OK, so maybe I was a wee bit off the mark with "middle of the night" (I hadn't actually checked the competition schedule. I was guesstimating the start times for each day based on the time of day that the action starts whenever there are motorbike race meetings in Japan).

BUT, you are futher off the mark with "middle of the DAY". 5:20 in the morning GMT (for the Pairs competitions) is definitely NOT "middle of the day" by any stretch of the imagination!!!

To be honest, I would be happy enough to get up early and watch at this time (let's face it, I normally wake around 5am, and can never manage to get back to sleep).

But, I think the reason Eurosport are not showing these early morning competitions LIVE is that it would mean a pile of their staff (not just the commentators) would need to be getting up in the wee small hours. And I think that is what is putting them off.

Still doesn't mean we have to be happy about it!

The ladies' short starts at 11am CET, I think I'll stand my ground on "middle of the day" ;).

I'm joking of course :).

I'm an early riser myself and I work at 6am, so unfortunately I won't be able to watch live in any case.

auser

Record Breaker
British Eurosport are not showing the Friday afternoon Ladies SP highlights either. The difference is that this time it is LIVE tennis which is being shown instead. Which would explain why Simon is not going to be commentating on the NHK Trophy (he told us at the end of the TEB Gala that it would be Chris and Nicky).

Congratulations to the tennis teams of Britain and Belgium for making the Davis Cup finals. Best wishes to both teams:cheer:.

Last edited:

jinhamasaki

Rinkside

If they are not going to re-instate the "ISU" channel, I want my money back.
It's the only reason I subscribed :p

I can't believe it. NHK is probably the only comp out of the GP series to sell out its tickets and they won't show it live???? :scratch2:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Sportbox is doing it again! You can watch it live or not: they keep the whole streams. HD costs a small payment but it is worth it especially on 120 inch screen like we have. For international viewers buffering might be a issue: with my fast Internet cable service it still happens every 10 minutes if HD. But the picture is too jerky with smaller resolution. I bought eurosport player and digital cable TV specifically for GP but watch the sportbox. The only complaint - too obtrusive commentary.

SP
Ladies http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...an_pri_Japonii_Zhenshhiny_Korotkaja_programma
Men http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...ran_pri_Japonii_Muzhchiny_Korotkaja_programma
Pairs http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...844_Gran_pri_Japonii_Pary_Korotkaja_programma
Dance http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta..._pri_Japonii_Tancy_na_ldu_Korotkaja_programma

LP
Ladies http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...pri_Japonii_Zhenshhiny_Proizvolnaja_programma
Men http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta..._pri_Japonii_Muzhchiny_Proizvolnaja_programma
Pairs http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta..._Gran_pri_Japonii_Pary_Proizvolnaja_programma
Dance http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...i_Japonii_Tancy_na_ldu_Proizvolnaja_programma

Gala http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...2_Gran_pri_Japonii_Pokazatelnyje_vystuplenija

Alex D

Record Breaker
It is sadly a common problem with tv channels not offering the stuff they own rights for. Truth is, they can not be arsed to set it up, that's all. They do not think that a few thousand viewers matter, while for instance moto gp, snooker or ski jumping with more always gets a stream, GP even with 10 or so for a single race, which is hilarious, are people seriously watching the back of a bike, side view or the super helicopter?

Europe especially mid Europe is so far away from US, where even the smallest sport is somehow available I guess. La cross or the cheer finals - ok that's a big sport I know, but ya -you wonder what´s happening at times, as the streams are at times also late or stop early. Just think about it, the OC´s can set up a stream, or the ISU, the stream doesn't even need to be made by ES themselves, they only have to tick a box and unlock it.

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
It seems like this year NHK will provide a streaming service for the first time! Nice :hap10:
NHK is the Japanese national broadcasting channel and every year they are obliged by the government to propose some yearly schemes. This year they have a scheme to improve their internet service including the live streaming of figure skating! Amazing! The commentary will be likely to include the former skaters as Nobunari Oda, Akiko Suzuki, Shizuka Arakawa and Takeshi Honda.

Here is the page:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/figure/livevideo/about.html
(The page shows Terms & Conditions. Click the second last button to agree and go to the streaming service.)

I'm afraid it's only available in Japan. (Well, I don't know any trick ;))

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why ice dance is at such a weird time?

Nothing weird. In local time:

14:20:00 Pairs Short Program
16:10:00 Men Short Program
19:05:00 Ladies Short Program​

12:30:00 Ice Dance Short Dance
14:20:00 Pairs Free Skating
16:30:00 Men Free Skating
19:35:00 Ladies Free Skating​

12:00:00 Ice Dance Free Dance
15:00 Gala​

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpjpn2015/index.htm
http://www.isuresults.com/events/GP-JPN2015_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Last edited:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
It seems to me that Icenetwork could provide practice coverage at these major events. I'm not very happy with the value I've gotten from my season subscription to that network.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Nothing weird. In local time:

14:20:00 Pairs Short Program
16:10:00 Men Short Program
19:05:00 Ladies Short Program​

12:30:00 Ice Dance Short Dance
14:20:00 Pairs Free Skating
16:30:00 Men Free Skating
19:35:00 Ladies Free Skating​

12:00:00 Ice Dance Free Dance
15:00 Gala​

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpjpn2015/index.htm
http://www.isuresults.com/events/GP-JPN2015_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

No, I mean why is it a day after the other events.