2015 Australian Nationals - Nov 28-Dec 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Australian Nationals - Nov 28-Dec 4

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The 2015 Australian National Figure Skating Championships will be held in Penrith, Sydney, from November 28-December 4.

Australian Nationals includes Synchronised Skating, Adult Nationals, and the four disciplines from Primary to Senior.

As far as I know, there will be no live stream.

Entries and detailed results are here:

http://www.nswisa.com/results/live/index.htm

This includes the long-awaited rematch between Brooklee and Kailani, with the addition of Chantelle Kerry back into the mix.

The men's field seems a little thinner this year, with just Brendan, Cameron Hemmert (last year's silver medallist) and three of the Dodds brothers (Andrew, Jordan and Ryan). Ryan will double-dip in Junior Pairs as well. Mark Webster was on the entry list when it originally went up but he doesn't seem to be on it now. Perhaps a typo. I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Interesting.. wonder if Senior Ladies Harmonie WONG is the same who competed at the same level years ago in Canada. If so, she must be on the older side now.

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
Mark Webster was on the entry list when it originally went up but he doesn't seem to be on it now. Perhaps a typo. I hope so.

Webster had a recent appendectomy, and won't be allowed to skate for several weeks on recommendation from his doctor.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Webster had a recent appendectomy, and won't be allowed to skate for several weeks on recommendation from his doctor.

Well, that sucks the big one. I hope he gets well soon.

Word of warning if you are in attendance: Parking at the rink is REALLY BAD. I don't know if it will improve when Synchro is over - I hope it does - but yesterday it was crazy.

iskate

On the Ice
Brooklee was training at my rink today (Melbourne)!

I didn't see any jumps as I left pretty soon after she arrived, but her spins were looking amazing as always.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brooklee was training at my rink today (Melbourne)!

I didn't see any jumps as I left pretty soon after she arrived, but her spins were looking amazing as always.

Wow! That's so exciting! I can't wait for Thursday. :yes:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I can imagine how parking would be a challenge at the arena. There is only space for about 30 cars, and the rink is located at the far end of an industrial office park.

The rink's sound system is very average, unfortunately. I found it really difficult to hear the announcers. Fortunately I had a program, so it made whomever was skating a bit easier to recognise. Otherwise, anyone using vocal music will be at a real disadvantage. The acoustics send lyrics straight to the rafters. Oh dear!
The standard of skating was very good, however. I must have seen about half a dozen double axels during the novice ladies'practice round. No surprises that Holly Harris won the short. She was flawless during her run through earlier in the day.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, it was still a bit tight yesterday, though I managed to nab a decent on-street park. The shopping centre carpark doesn't seem to have time limits or pay, so you could park there if you wanted (I did on Saturday).

I found some of the announcers better than others. The gentleman doing it in the evening was much better. I didn't really notice too many acoustics issues but I don't really have a great ear for that sort of stuff.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Best wishes to Kitty Masters, who suffered a very serious-looking leg (?) injury during the Primary Ladies today and had to be stretchered off the ice, and later, carried out to an ambulance. I hope she recovers quickly - it was a wonderful performance until that point.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Would it be wrong to hope for a Dodds sweep? I mean I hate to hurt Brendan, but an all Dodds podium is just so hard to not root for.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Would it be wrong to hope for a Dodds sweep? I mean I hate to hurt Brendan, but an all Dodds podium is just so hard to not root for.

Well, Brendan was beaten to the Australian title by David Kranjec in 2013, so it's not unheard of that Brendan doesn't win in recent times. But, though the Doddses are all very talented, Brendan is on another technical level and it would require him to have a bit of a brain fart, I think. And Cameron Hemmert is also very talented, extremely smooth and classy and very capable. At the very least, though, you are guaranteed one Dodds medal ;) (Well, you're guaranteed more than that, if you want to include the pairs.)

Is there any livestream information?

There is no livestream that I know of, unless there is other information being passed around that I am unaware of. A user at FSU said that they had heard "something about a live stream, but only for the high-level singles", but I cannot confirm this, I have heard nothing.

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
Well, Brendan was beaten to the Australian title by David Kranjec in 2013, so it's not unheard of that Brendan doesn't win in recent times. But, though the Doddses are all very talented, Brendan is on another technical level and it would require him to have a bit of a brain fart, I think. And Cameron Hemmert is also very talented, extremely smooth and classy and very capable. At the very least, though, you are guaranteed one Dodds medal ;) (Well, you're guaranteed more than that, if you want to include the pairs.)

There is no livestream that I know of, unless there is other information being passed around that I am unaware of. A user at FSU said that they had heard "something about a live stream, but only for the high-level singles", but I cannot confirm this, I have heard nothing.
Are you serious?