Justifying claims of under/over scoring | Golden Skate

Justifying claims of under/over scoring

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There are countless claims of under/over scoring on these boards.
But how many are made with a reasoned supporting argument?

What do I mean by a "reasoned argument"? As I see it, if people want to make a case for under/over scoring, it should be made in terms of:
  • the protocols for the competition (tech calls included),
  • the GoE bullet points that a skater should or should not have been awarded for each element, and
  • the PCS criteria they met or didn't meet for each component.
...Or they at least need to have a reputation for being able to do so in those terms, if called upon.

Without that - it seems to me a complainer doesn't actually know what they are complaining about. They may be actually be right, but since their complaint is unsubstantiated - it's more likely just wishful thinking, bias, favouritism, hot air, sour grapes, etc... and I can't take it seriously.

Unfortunately, the number of times I see a "reasoned argument" is very, very small.

And the few that are posted, may be buried under large numbers of "unsubstantiated" posts. The sort where people think that PCS stands for "Popularity Contest Score" ie. the points a skater "deserves", because "I like that performance". Or that skaters were "held back" or "boosted" by being in an earlier or later group, by having a particular nationality/fed/reputation, by competing at a certain location, etc etc... as if these things are all givens (which they aren't), and they happen at every competition (which they don't).

And I wish this would change... more "reasoned argument" posts would be educational for all... help people understand scoring better generally... understand when scores are actually reasonable, even if they seem too high or too low at first... vs when there really IS a reason to pick up the pitchforks and burning torches and form an angry mob. Because as it is, it feels like it's "pitchforks and burning torches" for every... single... competition. I see no proper justification, which makes it very tiresome.

Is there any hope?

I'd love to see "official GS" reviews of scoring, that examine the protocols in these terms, and indicate how reasonable/justifiable the scoring was... I know there are a few GS posters who (I think) have the knowledge/experience required to do such a thing, because I have occasionally seen posts like that... but I guess it would take quite some time and effort to do it on a regular basis, so perhaps not feasible?

Is there somewhere else to turn for "reasoned arguments" or assessments? I have been impressed in the past by Yukiko Okabe's commentary on skating competitions - she is an ISU judge and technical controller, and her insights into a skater's performance vs what judges are looking for... is valuable, very educational and sometimes surprising. I wish that type of broadcast were made more frequently, and more accessible. I feel it helped my understanding of scoring immensely. But the only ones I've seen were made months after the event, and only on Japanese TV in Japanese language.

Are there other FS commentators who are equally "authentic" or knowledegable, impartial, and provide that level of detail in commentary? Or bloggers, or whatever? Chris Howarth (an active FS coach) on British Eurosport seems quite good (unlike Simon and Nicky, bless :-D) but he's not there for every competition, and doesn't always go into a lot of detail, presumably in the interests of keeping things light and entertaining and unintrusive?

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I generally don't have a problem with scoring anymore, mostly because I accept that there are a few things aside from what the skater does on the ice that affect the scores. In particular, skating early always negatively impacts the score, particularly on PCS. Posters here often say "I don't understand why skater X had 2 points higher PCS than skater Y in one event, then 2 points lower in this other event." Well, it's usually because the skater who skated much earlier than the other didn't get as high PCS. Even today, people wonder how Ashley can have better SS than Mao. She doesn't. She just skated later. People need to accept that scores between different events cannot be compared for this reason.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
OP might was well make a thread and title it "Logical Argument 101", which isn't going to happen in these forums.

padme21

On the Ice
I generally don't have a problem with scoring anymore, mostly because I accept that there are a few things aside from what the skater does on the ice that affect the scores. In particular, skating early always negatively impacts the score, particularly on PCS. Posters here often say "I don't understand why skater X had 2 points higher PCS than skater Y in one event, then 2 points lower in this other event." Well, it's usually because the skater who skated much earlier than the other didn't get as high PCS. Even today, people wonder how Ashley can have better SS than Mao. She doesn't. She just skated later. People need to accept that scores between different events cannot be compared for this reason.

There are countless claims of under/over scoring on these boards.
But how many are made with a reasoned supporting argument?

What do I mean by a "reasoned argument"? As I see it, if people want to make a case for under/over scoring, it should be made in terms of:
  • the protocols for the competition (tech calls included),
  • the GoE bullet points that a skater should or should not have been awarded for each element, and
  • the PCS criteria they met or didn't meet for each component.
...Or they at least need to have a reputation for being able to do so in those terms, if called upon.

Without that - it seems to me a complainer doesn't actually know what they are complaining about. They may be actually be right, but since their complaint is unsubstantiated - it's more likely just wishful thinking, bias, favouritism, hot air, sour grapes, etc... and I can't take it seriously.

Unfortunately, the number of times I see a "reasoned argument" is very, very small.

And the few that are posted, may be buried under large numbers of "unsubstantiated" posts. The sort where people think that PCS stands for "Popularity Contest Score" ie. the points a skater "deserves", because "I like that performance". Or that skaters were "held back" or "boosted" by being in an earlier or later group, by having a particular nationality/fed/reputation, by competing at a certain location, etc etc... as if these things are all givens (which they aren't), and they happen at every competition (which they don't).

And I wish this would change... more "reasoned argument" posts would be educational for all... help people understand scoring better generally... understand when scores are actually reasonable, even if they seem too high or too low at first... vs when there really IS a reason to pick up the pitchforks and burning torches and form an angry mob. Because as it is, it feels like it's "pitchforks and burning torches" for every... single... competition. I see no proper justification, which makes it very tiresome.

Is there any hope?

I'd love to see "official GS" reviews of scoring, that examine the protocols in these terms, and indicate how reasonable/justifiable the scoring was... I know there are a few GS posters who (I think) have the knowledge/experience required to do such a thing, because I have occasionally seen posts like that... but I guess it would take quite some time and effort to do it on a regular basis, so perhaps not feasible?

Is there somewhere else to turn for "reasoned arguments" or assessments? I have been impressed in the past by Yukiko Okabe's commentary on skating competitions - she is an ISU judge and technical controller, and her insights into a skater's performance vs what judges are looking for... is valuable, very educational and sometimes surprising. I wish that type of broadcast were made more frequently, and more accessible. I feel it helped my understanding of scoring immensely. But the only ones I've seen were made months after the event, and only on Japanese TV in Japanese language.

Are there other FS commentators who are equally "authentic" or knowledegable, impartial, and provide that level of detail in commentary? Or bloggers, or whatever? Chris Howarth (an active FS coach) on British Eurosport seems quite good (unlike Simon and Nicky, bless :-D) but he's not there for every competition, and doesn't always go into a lot of detail, presumably in the interests of keeping things light and entertaining and unintrusive?

I agree! What really bothers me is when people bash skaters,their countries, and coaches simply because their favorite skater did not get the scores they think they deserved. It's rude and disrespectful to the skaters.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I love this thread because I totally agree!

And honestly while I will engage in arguments about under/overscoring every once in awhile, I try to avoid them unless it seems REALLY egregious. (I think the only scores I had a problem with this season were Tukt's PCS at SC).

Everyone else should've learned by now that PCS are not comparable across competitions, which nullifies about half of the PCS-related arguments on this forum. And I actually think there haven't been any incorrect podiums yet this season, so I have very few complaints. Over/under-generous PCS haven't been impacting actual results, IMO.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I also wish that broadcast networks and commentators do not use Presentation Marks or Artistic Impression for PCS, implying "Artistry" as basis of PCS. It's a holdover from the 6.0 system that is so far from today's competition criteria. Fans seem to think PCS should reflect their personal preferences of the performances or skaters, and often aspects of TES if it suits their arguments.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Over/under-generous PCS haven't been impacting actual results, IMO.

This is the only thing that matters. It reminds me of Ashley's LP last year at nationals that scored 148+. People were outraged that the US judges dared to score that as the 3rd best LP ever under COP. It wasn't. It was, however, 10+ points better than Chen's effort. The outcome was correct.

I'm a little more disappointed when US judges ignore < from their favorite skaters, because that does affect outcomes in an unfair way. If someone's strength is producing fully-rotated jumps, they are severely disadvantaged when a skater who < a lot of jumps is given full credit and +GOE.

Vernella

Rinkside

I fear this is a very dangerous mindset... while bickering about PCS randomly to defend one's fave is not productive, if the system is unfair (and it is unfair indeed, not because of the impossibility of comparison across competition, but because of the fixed increase in PCS), accepting it will do no good to the sport.

Anyway, OP makes a very good point, though it's a bit difficult to ask for reasoned arguments from the average fan, in particular just after a competition. On the other hand, if reasoned arguments from competent people (possibly certified in some way, like judges, coaches, world class skaters, qualified commentators) were more frequent, maybe even the general public will get used to those reasonings and rumble a bit less... maybe...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I fear this is a very dangerous mindset... while bickering about PCS randomly to defend one's fave is not productive, if the system is unfair (and it is unfair indeed, not because of the impossibility of comparison across competition, but because of the fixed increase in PCS), accepting it will do no good to the sport.

This is a very fair criticism. However, given that skating is a judged sport, the panels are forced to assess athletes relative only to those skaters they have seen, because you can't judge someone against a skater who hasn't yet performed. If Mao skates among skaters who earns 6's, the 8's she earns are much stronger marks. When you get to the last group, where every skater has obvious strengths, their marks will be high and clustered together. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's intentional; I don't believe panels go out seeking to punish skaters merely because they skate early. Yes, fans try to use PCS discrepancies as bona fide evidence of cheating when their favorites lose, but a lot of the variation can be attributed to skate order. Because this effect is somewhat egalitarian, impacting every skater, and not intentional but rather a result of humans judging an event, I accept it.

Sackie

Medalist
I am not put out so much with the PCS but I find the judges are using the GOE to favor certain skaters. When one judge gives a skater a +2 and the next judge a -1 there is something wrong. And they do not apply the same GOEs across the board. One skater puts a hand down on a landing and they get a -2 then the next skater only gets a 0 for doing the same thing. To me that does not make sense. Or a skater who does a very small 2a gets 1.5 in GOE while someone who does a huge 2A with good flow in and out only gets .5.

noskates

Record Breaker
Possibly a naive statement, but it would seem that the entire panel of judges AND the technical expert would have to be in collusion to hold up one skater over another - and at more than one competition. The complaints about scoring generally come from people who have a vested interest of great admiration for a certain skater. The immediate skater that comes to mind is Mirai Negasu. Every time she skates according to some she is underscored. Poor Mirai. That's quite a conspiracy.

But I completely agree that PCS scores are totally getting ridiculously high. You wonder where it will all end!

But having said that - I do think skater's with great reputations get the benefit of the doubt. Nobody who falls twice in a program should win a gold medal. Just saying.....

Noolan

On the Ice
But I completely agree that PCS scores are totally getting ridiculously high. You wonder where it will all end!
Isn't that just because programs are getting more and more complicated and everyone gets higher TES in general? Since PCS kinda has to represent half of the score, the overall PCS scores have to grow as well. Otherwise TES would represent more than half of the score for the majority of the skaters and that would kinda break the whole thing.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just ask yourself this before proceeding with discussions about scoring...."What would Gkelly say?" :think:

I like the discussions here but far too many times I see posters who want other GS Members and even the judges to agree to/enforce their personal preferences. That's always funny to see.

Last edited:

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
One skater puts a hand down on a landing and they get a -2 then the next skater only gets a 0 for doing the same thing. To me that does not make sense.

But having said that - I do think skater's with great reputations get the benefit of the doubt. Nobody who falls twice in a program should win a gold medal. Just saying.....
These are examples of where we must look veeery carefully at the protocols vs video footage before crying foul, to make sure there isn't a logical explanation.

eg. did one skater actually deserve higher GoE for their jump, before the "hand down"? I mean, we can't simply say both skaters put a hand down, therefore they should have identical GoE. There's more to jump GoE than that.

The punishment for falls by no means prevents someone winning a gold medal, and this is correct under the current system...

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Isn't that just because programs are getting more and more complicated and everyone gets higher TES in general? Since PCS kinda has to represent half of the score, the overall PCS scores have to grow as well. Otherwise TES would represent more than half of the score for the majority of the skaters and that would kinda break the whole thing.

I think the programs are more difficult too in between the jumps, as you suggest. If you compare some of the early COP programs that were the best at the time, from Slutskaya, Cohen, and Shizuka, there is a lot more difficulty in the top programs now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think for me, I try to remember that what is shown on the screen is very different than what a judge sees in person.

Ziggy (RIP) used to do these fantastic reviews where he did take the COP criteria into play. It is a lot of work, however to do such reports.

I think most people are going to comment with gut first cause that's the natural thing to do in real-time.

Doris used to do some regular posts on certain aspect of Ice Dance, which you can find in the reference forum. So perhaps there's demands to do it with the singles discipline.

humbaba

Final Flight
I try not to comment on judging or placements until I've looked at the protocols. After looking at the judges' detailed scoring, I go back and watch selected programs again. It's enlightening and educational :laugh:.

I'm striving to be more zen about judging and placements and disgruntled fans. Skating is a complex sport with many ways to score points and many ways to lose points. Some of the those ways are obvious and some are arcane. The very nature of the sport provides tempting opportunities for disagreements, wuzrobbin', emotional meltdowns, etc. Just embrace the madness.

Is there any hope?

Personally, I blame the IJS. Under ordinal judging I was perfectly content to say, I thought this performance was better than that, Sometimes the judges agreed, sometimes they didn't, and sometimes there was a split panel with some judges agreeing with my opinion and others having a different view.

Regardless, i could always list what I thought were cogent reasons for my opinion, while also listening to what others thought. The viewer felt engaged and invested.

Now…well, we can't argue with the computer that adds up the scores, so all we can do is say meaningless things like, "I thought she should have gotten 8,75 instead of 8.25 in choreography, or "I didn't think he satisfied the bullet point for smooth knee action," or "82.3 for that!? I wouldn't give it a tenth more than 80.4."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can only speak for my poor benighted self, but "understanding" IJS isn't going to do a whole bunch for me (I have a visceral reaction to that word, I'm sorry, when someone in my line says "So and so doesn't understand that ..." they mean "poor so and so hasn't got the brains his mama gave him to see that..." I need to get over that).

I do like when someone explains why a particular element is scored a particular way for an obvious rotational or falling error. I don't like endless discussions of edges and takeoffs, probably because I can't see it, and even if I could, (if were educated), I don't think I'd care. But for people who do care, I think it's wonderful that they discuss and that it makes a difference for them in their discussions.

For someone to say that "such and such" and "this and that" is obvious in PCS, unless they missed a rotation, fell, or skipped an element: well, no, it's not. And a poster can post from now until forever as to why it's obvious that their favorite is marked correctly/not marked correctly or why it's obvious someone's else's favorite is way overscored, and it still won't be obvious.

But that's the joy and wonder of the internet.:laugh:

I don't like endless discussions of edges and takeoffs, probably because I can't see it,..

I know, right? :laugh: The worst is when someone posts a slo-motion video and says, "Look how obvious the inside edge is." (No) Then someone posts an even slower-motion video and says, "Only a fool can deny that this is an outside edge." And then someone posts an individual frame with a straightedge and compass superimposed and says, "Now even you can see…" (No). ;)