Favorite Moments from the Grand Prix | Golden Skate

Favorite Moments from the Grand Prix

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As we look forward to the GPF lets take a moment and share some of our favorite moments from the GP this year. Things like your favorite performance, best comeback,best StSeq, best K-n-C, etc... I'm especially interested in hearing from some ID and Pairs fans :yes:

Layback11

Record Breaker
10. H/D's NHK SD
9. K/O's CoR FS
8. Nicole Rajicova's SA FS
7. Adelina Sotnikova's CoR SP
6. Max Aaron's SA SP
5. Yuzuru Hanyu's NHK SP (haven't seen the FS yet)
4. Shoma Uno's SA FS
3. Shibs' SC FD
2. Karen Chen's SA SP
1. Gracie Gold's SA FS & TEB SP (if only she could've put those two together at SA)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^any fist pumps or moments that stick out in those performances? I want to edit a video with a bunch of people's favorite moments in it. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So far I'd have to say you must include Hanyu's cocky "I'm #1" finger-pointing at the camera. I was like, where did this exuberant cockiness come from? I hope it continues. :)

Oh and the facial expression of Maia Shibutani after she "smacks" Alex during their SD at NHK. I am living to see that again. And again and again and again.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^any fist pumps or moments that stick out in those performances? I want to edit a video with a bunch of people's favorite moments in it. :)

That sounds like a great idea! Hopefully we'll get a nice amount of different moments from all disciplines and skaters together :)

Are you including after skate reactions too?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That sounds like a great idea! Hopefully we'll get a nice amount of different moments from all disciplines and skaters together :)

Are you including after skate reactions too?

Anything goes. I'll use footage of them drinking tea if it's out there.

Layback11

Record Breaker

Yes!
#10: the ending (right before the bow) was really emotional and genuine and I appreciated that.
#9: All of it!
#8: Her K&C reaction was really cool and it was a HUGE breakout for her-I'm super glad I got to see it live
#7: First off, it's JSM. Duh. Also, I LOVE her complete OTT-ness in that program and she just goes so full-on crazy and it is awesome.
#6: The 4Sal-3T was a standout but mostly I loved that he rose to the occasion in a splatfest event.
#5: It set a world record...duh. :p Also, the 4-3 was :love:!
#4: We had met him in the elevator and talked to his coach, so we were pulling for him, and it was awesome to see him deliver. Also, ELEVATOR LEPRECHAUN! That performance got me interested in men's and now he's my favorite men's skater, so...yeah. :biggrin:
#3: A perfect performance of a perfect program.
#2: My Mini Queen SLAYED and it was the most exciting thing ever to see her land all her stuff. The opening combo was HUGE and her layback is my favorite in the field.
#1: It's Gracie, and those were two of the best skates she's ever had. Need I say more?

Oh, dear, I forgot to add Elena! Her CoR SP was supposed to be on there. I loved her reaction.

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
1. Seeing Mao's SP Step Sequence for the first time, I feel like that is where you really see her skill.
2. Elena having a strong showing at her second Grand Prix event, while I don't think she will have the same consistency as last year, when she is on, it doesn't matter (now if there was a list for least favorite moments whoever cut her Titanic LP music would be on it...).
3. Ashley's SP from Skate Canada, it's great to see her relax and look like she is enjoying her skating.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Evgenia winning her first-ever senior grand prix
Adian winning surprise silver at CoR
Yuzuru, of course
K/S winning surprise gold at CoC

My memory is shot after too little sleep, so I've probably forgotten some.

Merjan

On the Ice
Hanyu FP and SP, NHK Trophy,
The Shibutanis FD, Canada
Cappellini / Lanotte FD, China.

And I really enjoy Sui/Han's programs this season

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
C/L K&C at COC
Yuzuru's K&C in his NHK FS
Evgenia winning SA
Patrick's face after his FS at SC
Maia and Alex at SC FS
Boyang's face after his SP and FS at NHK
Adian after he won silver at COR
Maia "shutting down" during the bows at their NHK SD and Alex carrying her
Elena after her FS at COR

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
1. Hanyu's FS at NHK
2. Hanyu's SP at NHK
3. Chan's FS at Skate Canada

And then in no particular order:
4. Fernandez's SP at Rostelecom
5. Gold's FS at Skate America
6. Jin's SP at NHK
7. Kavaguti/Smirnov's FS at Cup of China
8. Max's SP at Skate America
9. Uno's SP at TEB
10. Shibutanis FD at Skate Canada

Hon. mentions (so hard to choose a top 10!):
- Wagner SP Skate America
- James/Cipres SP TEB
- Medvedeva's SP at Skate America
- Chartrand's SP at Rostelecom
- Uno FS at Skate America

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Could everyone consider using full names for the pairs and dance teams? It can be very confusing to read just initials, especially because often across both disciplines the initials can apply to more than one pair. There are like 3 S/K's for example. Thanks for considering my request.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I love many of the things already mentioned. I a bit of a rush, so here are only a few things that come to mind. Some specific non-skating parts:

Kanako's cheek pinch by Coach Higuchi at TEB K&C. :luv17:
Yuzuru and Orser when the FS mark came up at NHK.

Shoma performance parts:

SA FS:
I loved the combos- the way they were like skipping stones across a pool.
The cantilever gave me chills and the hand in the air for the last spin was very dramatic.

TEB SP:
The way he came through the mist near the start with the tapping foot to the beat was so evocative.
The start of the step sequence really brought the audience with him.

moriel

Record Breaker
No specific order....
1. Julia Lipnitskaya TEB SP
2. Gracie Gold TEB SP
3. Evgenia Medvedeva SA FS
4. Rika Hongo CoC SP
5. Rika Hongo CoC FS
6. Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov CoC FS
7. Kristina Astakhova / Alexei Rogonov CoC FS
8. Jin Boyang CoC SP
9. Elena Radionova Rostelecom FS
10. Adelina Sotnikova Rostelecom SP

NHK sucked, Yuzuru was the only good thing that happened there.
UPD, him and Pogo.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Ohhhh, at NHK, Anna Pogo's comeback in FS was absolutely amazing. After THAT SP she had, she just went there and put it out.
Also the russian commentators saying "breath, kittum" somewhere in the middle of her FS.

lyndichee

Medalist
NHK sucked, Yuzuru was the only good thing that happened there.

But the Shibutanis! Their short dance was awesome! I can't wait to watch Fix You again, so many moments of brilliance at Skate Canada; I can't wait to watch it again tonight (for my time zone at least).