TSL Interview with Belbin and Agosto | Golden Skate

TSL Interview with Belbin and Agosto

flutzy13

On the Ice
They are wonderful. And so is TSL for giving us this lovely in depth conversation with them. I didn't pay attention to dance until their medal in Torino so I learned a lot here.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Very interesting interview. They're both remarkably articulate and have a remarkable knack for simultaneously appearing PR savvy and candid. One of the things I most enjoy about TSL's interviews is that Dave WILL ask the questions no one else dares to ask. Here, it looked like the Zinger Of The Day was the question about dental work (watch the interview to see what I mean). Tanith genuinely looked surprised that it was asked, but then handled it with aplomb. I'm just sorry they didn't ask about their 2010 Olympic OD, a dance so mismatched to their style I remember thinking the phrase "deliberate sabotage?" when I first watched it.

Dear NBC, do yourself a favor and dump Tara and hire Tanith in her place.

Another boffo job. Thank you.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ Agree, Dave will ask the tough questions, and Jenny too! And they also pushed about Dom/Shabs, not only the Aboriginal Dance horror (which for me it was, offensive and buffoonish in costumes and choreo) but about Shabalin's injury and obvious physical limitations.

It was great getting such detailed perspectives from them because I was so involved at the time as an avid fan on the outside looking in, and remembering when B/A switched to Linichuk, wondering how that collaboration would work out -- and then when Dom/Shabs went to Linichuk too I was thinking B/A would be the less politically favored/pushed team by their own coaches (speaking of my perceptions as a fan, which don't necessarily have anything to do with reality!!) -- anyway, it was great getting such detailed responses from them, and PR savvy or no, they seem to have such an appreciative and critical perspective on things and to be such articulate, balanced, thoughtful people.

I think I commented here on GS way back when that I always thought Ben seemed so supportive and reassuring as a partner whenever the couple was about to take the ice, and statements made in this interview seem to bear that out, thought I'm sure Tanith could be the calm and reassuring one, too -- but it was great to hear Tanith mention that as I had always had that strong impression.

Little to no recriminations or blame from either of them toward each other, coaches, skating politics, etc. --lovely, lovely people, and so interesting to listen to.

Thanks, TSL!

Last edited:

Botan

Rinkside
I wish tjey had split the interview in two parts, my phone can't handle such long videos :'(

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was a big fan of Tanith and Ben, love them! Great interview!

I chuckled when Ben said that the US started Champs Camp because of their
program That's Entertainment, love his sense of humor. What a treat
to listen to them relive their career with honesty and without regrets. Thanks TSL!

I am looking forward to seeing them perform again in Japan in XOI!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed this interview. It was yet another reminder that athletes often have a more balanced perspective than fans. I was pissed on their behalf when the other US couple discussed Tanith's citizenship situation. Meanwhile they completely understood the couple's point of view.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Great interview. But please can you bring on Barbara Fusar-Poli one day??? Or just Maurizio. We need them to discuss The Staredown From Torino.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Great interview. But please can you bring on Barbara Fusar-Poli one day??? Or just Maurizio. We need them to discuss The Staredown From Torino.

LOL Totally. .Plus I think BF-P would just be the very definition of "That's Entertainment" as an interviewee. But then I'm a big fan of the feisty.

anyanka

Record Breaker
LOL Totally. .Plus I think BF-P would just be the very definition of "That's Entertainment" as an interviewee. But then I'm a big fan of the feisty.

Jenny, Dave, Babs and Maurizio altogether in one interview. Or heck, give Babs her own slot and she can entertain all of us. PLEASE let the happen.

sillylionlove

Medalist
This was such a great interview. Kudos for Dave for asking Tanith about the teeth. I laughed when the doorbell rang.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I found their take on the 2010 programs interesting. They seem to have liked them and they are my least favorites of their dances. All in all, it was a great interview and Tanith and Ben are awesome Team USA alumni.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Aboriginal Dance was incredible.

If you are trying to hide an injury and minimize knee movement to an almost bare minimum basically making up a dance was certainly wildly inventive! It was truly a choice between that , doing a country dance really poorly , or dropping out of the Olympics. Belbin and agosto had to be disappointed the backlash didnt lead to program switch that would have lead to an easy bronze for them. Unless somehow with Russians out f/s would have won bronze.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Maurizio has talked about it in interviews. In the one I read, he said he had no memory of the stare. He was essentially in just as much shock over the error as Barbara.