Makeup for young skaters? | Golden Skate

Makeup for young skaters?

GoldenGirlyGirl

Rinkside
Hi !

We are planning to do a figure skating show with my club, and we were thinking to ask novice girls to wear make up (red/dark lipstick and eye shadow to be compatible with the theme). In my opinion, because the audience will be far, the skaters will move fast, plus the ice is reflecting the light, it has to be a little excessive. But some of the girls are 7/8 years old, and we are afraid to shock parents cause normally little girls are not supposed to wear makeup...

How do you feel about this ? Would you be shocked if a girl of 8 yo wear red lipstick and eye liner for a show or a competition ?

Thanks a lot !

loopy

Final Flight
No shocked, just grossed out - esp if you are sharing cosmetics.

My daughter has done enough dance recitals, skating shows, and competitions that the whole black eyeliner and red lips needed because of lights/reflections is just not true. Young performers look unnatural with that style. This is how I do make up for young kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrRF5fb7nzg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MyCmS6lZcA.

I do get that if they are skating to a song like from Chicago for example, the makeup would be extreme.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen in person at an ice rink was an eight year old whose makeup looked like she should have been walking the streets in the red light district.

If there will be no spotlights, you actually don't need a lot of makeup. For a bunch of little girls, maybe some powder if there will be spotlights, and some lip gloss and mascara - at their parent's discretion, as long as each parent is given guidelines. Because while some parents wouldn't want their little girl made up at that age, there are some that will actually paint their faces like...well...the example mentioned above was done by her mother!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I normally don't like kids wearing any make-up, but I know that it's necessary if they are performing on stage and especially if there're spotlights.
From loopy's examples I would consider the first to be heavy make-up for a child, but it might be necessary under certain light conditions. It's very well done, but the lipstick is already too dark for my taste.
I really don't like dark red lipstick for kids. I would keep the lips and the cheeks as natural as possible.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Most girls wear makeup in the small competition at my ice rink. Their mum don't make it heavy though. Personally I don't even look at their face when they're skating so... in my opinion even if they wear makeup I don't even notice because I was busying looking at their feet.

nysk8temom

Spectator
Before I was a skate mom....I would have said "no make-up, no way." Our coach had to twist my arm (and act quickly) to add a bit of blush to my daughter's cheeks for her first competition. The claim was that their faces look washed out with all the white ice in the pictures. Frankly I think it's completely irrelevant when they are so young...but it was true that she looked what you might call "healthier" in skating pics with the blush than without. My daughter LOVES make-up. I don't allow it for anything but fun dress-up or skating competitions but I have relented more than I thought I would to let her wear eye shadow, lipstick AND blush for shows and competitions. (She is 8 now). But I do shudder when I see the amount plastered on some girls' faces, especially the mascara. And I really don't want my daughter to get the message that she is any less beautiful or any less of an athlete without makeup. But I do get that for shows it's also a "costume" and not necessarily real life. Re-reading my post I can see I'm very conflicted/contradictory on this subject - which pretty much does describe it! LOL.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It'll depend on the lighting and needs at your individual rink. I was a dance kid and I was wearing makeup at five and six that's far heavier than I wear on a night out as an adult, because our stage lights required it. It was very obviously stage makeup (I looked totally ridiculous in person/close up!) and totally appropriate... for the stage. Performance etiquette is a different beast. But if you don't have any special lights, I doubt you need much. Lights and distance are the deciding factors. Something to make the eyes pop will probably be helpful if the audience is far away. You don't have to make up a kid like a streetwalker to make them visible from a distance. Again, it'll really just be up to the individual needs of the space. I think nysk8temom above has a good point. If it's a concern, make sure your child(ren) know it's not about making them prettier, it's about functionality--an average person just can't see your face very well from 100 feet away with no makeup. It's that simple.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Unless the skaters are going to be in a darkened rink under spotlights, there's no need to go too heavy with the makeup for an ice show. I'd stick with mascara and pink lipstick for the younger ones. Red lipstick and eyeliner seems inappropriate.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I think for the show purpose little kids can have a bit of blush and a lip balm that has a bit of a pink/red shade. Not full red lip, please don't. And that would be it. I personally don't like to see little girls with eye shadows or an eyeliner, I find it inappropriate even for the show reasons.
They are young and absolutely cute and there is no need to use lots of make-up for the show.

desertskates

Medalist
I totally agree with Sorrento on this one. Rosy cheeks and a pink gloss (like Lip Smackers or something else designed for kids) are just fine. But eye makeup on girls that young is a bit much. Plus, little kids rub their eyes a lot, it could end up looking a mess.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
I don't see anything wrong with a little make up to continue a theme I mean nothing gaudy. But skating like ballet is somewhat a theatrical performance.
Good luck with the show!!
:hap10: