Jin trains to improve overall package | Golden Skate

Jin trains to improve overall package

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On January 29, the three-time Chinese champion went to Ürümqi—the capital of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region—where everyone, including Jin, was suffering from the altitude of 1650 meters. He needed to use an inhaler for oxygen in order to compete at the national Winter Games, which is held only every four years. Nevertheless, he performed well, landing every jump in both programs and scored 87.34 in the short and 196.62 in the free to win the gold.

“This is probably my best performance so far this season,” Jin commented after the free skate, “but it is still a bit regrettable because I can land the jumps better in training. I need to further improve in upcoming competitions.”

More

Wishing the youngster luck at the upcoming 4CCs!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Jin's latest performance of his LP is his best one so far.
With 4CC coming up quickly, let's see how he can improve the performance and polishing of his elements.

I think he has a chance at a 4-3rd place finish if he can continue to improve.
What do you-all think? Where would you place Boyang at 4CC?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, it will depend on how he skates, of course. I don't think his skating is anywhere near as bad as people hysterically like to claim. Frankly, I think a lot of it came in panic that he might beat Hanyu!

4CC could be anything. You'll have Uno, you'll have Aaron, you'll have Ten...the sheer number of multi-quad programs that could be churned out is really quite something.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I was afraid a few years ago he would be another Kevin R who simply attempts as many quads as possible but ends up under rotates like half of them. At least, Jin is heading towards the right direction. He also appears to be more extrovert this year,and has beaten his countryman Han Yan in every competition. Hope he gets two good programs next year.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, it will depend on how he skates, of course. I don't think his skating is anywhere near as bad as people hysterically like to claim. Frankly, I think a lot of it came in panic that he might beat Hanyu!

4CC could be anything. You'll have Uno, you'll have Aaron, you'll have Ten...the sheer number of multi-quad programs that could be churned out is really quite something.

Specially considering he is a few years younger than Hanyu, and its hard to expect a younger skater to have the maturity of a more experienced one.
And Jin has the goods for it, he just needs some polish =)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
“On top of jump consistency, what I must improve is my skating skills and presentation. I have much to work on all five components...In a high level competition like the GP, all skaters in the second group are the best in the world,” Jin noted. “They are experienced veterans and better all-rounded skaters than me. I think I can improve my overall package by learning from them...I can do the most difficult jump in the world, but I am well aware of what I lack. I will continue to work hard and improve my skating skills, to address the details in performance, and do the best I can in competitions.”

:cheer:
He's such an adorable little firecracker with a good head on his shoulders. I love his attitude and poise and how much fun he has on the ice, and he has all the potential to improve tons up until the next Olympics. Hopefully he will stay healthy and well and find programs as entertaining as his SP for the next seasons :love:

About it mainly being Hanyu fans who are harsh on Boyang: nah. Most Yuzu fans I know actually like Boyang. Of course there's always different people in every fandom, but then Yuzu isn't the only top guy who might get topped by Boyang if he doesn't skate his best :p

Thanks much for the article!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I can't speak for a whole fandom, but I like Boyang. He always seems be having fun, even if there is still room to improve, he's enjoying the journey.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Boyang is great kid and he moves to the right direction, personally I see him improving from last seasons, hopefully he will stay healthy. As a Hanyu fan, I think Boyang is the one from young generation who has the best potential. As I know many Yuzuru's fans around me, most of them like Boyang very much. Yah, and Boyang improving and going clean should be alarming in the first place for those top skaters who doesn't have enough technical reserve to add. I always welcome skaters who push their limits and have great head over their shoulders, trying to catch every moment and not being nostalgic the "glorious past of figure skating".

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Count me in as another Hanyu fan who likes Boyang... I'm seeing a common thread here ;) I think it might be because Hanyu fans appreciate the both the attitude that Boyang projects and the technical potential.

I'm glad that Boyang works on his "package". With his tech he doesn't need the 95 PCS to be competitive with Shoma Uno or Max Aaron at the moment but I think he definitely needs to improve his in-between-elements content to avoid being put into the "just jumps" box. And soon, because another season with an LP like this could harm him in the long run and it'd be shame to waste his innate performing potential.

It's actually really interesting to have young skaters of such different styles and strenghts as Boyang, Shoma and Nathan Chen: Boyang with marvelous quads and forementioned attitude but poor transitions and lacking LP, Shoma with excellent programs and copious performance skills but needing to catch up on the tech a bit, and Nathan with ood programs and great tech but lacking charisma. Wouldn't having all three of them at Worlds be a glimpse of the future. *sigh*

I hope the Chinese fed won't make the mistake they did with Han Yan and Lori Nichol Boyang. He needs better programs but if they g with foregin choreographers, Russian bombast would suit him better.

One other thing that Boyang can be credited for is firing up his competitors and that's what the sport should be about! :agree:

Edit: I meant Chinese fed, not Russian.:eek::

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I do like Boyang, but you get the sense that the judges will perpetually hold him back on PCS no matter how much he improves. Here's hoping that he does continue his technical brilliance... he really is a one-in-a-lifetime skater with the jumps he does.

gsyzf

Medalist
If there is a junior boy or young senior boy that has Boyang's BV, Shoma's PCS, Sota's GOE and Nathan's mind, he will be a serious threat to Hanyu by 2018. Right now, all 4 of them have room for improvement. Juniors who just turned seniors have to stack their BV to compete against the veteran seniors because they will always get lower GOE and PCS than the veterans (even if they do have better quality). They also need to have good results to receive additional funding and support from the fed. I personally wish judges would stop inflating top skaters' scores, so younger skaters would not feel compelled to take so much risk at a young age.

Last edited:

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
I hope the Russian fed won't make the mistake they did with Han Yan and Lori Nichol Boyang. He needs better programs but if they g with foregin choreographers, Russian bombast would suit him better.

According to BTV (local TV in Beijing), Boyang is going to Lori's place in May for choreography and training on the overall package.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to BTV (local TV in Beijing), Boyang is going to Lori's place in May for choreography and training on the overall package.

Argh, no! Not Lori Nichol! Come on, Chinese fed!

Sorrento

Record Breaker
And I think it's a good choice for him. She's famous, if anyone has any questions on choreo- it's Lori Nichol, she's a brand in figure skating world.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
No Lori Nicole for Boyang....sure, she is great for D10 and many other skaters, but not for Chinese skaters except pair skaters. I recommend Tom Dickson instead. I still couldn't stand her choreographic works for Timothy Goebel, quad king.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
What's wrong with Lori Nichol? I thought she is a famous choreographer. Is there something I don't know?

She is. Her programs are great for some skaters (i.e. Denis), and a total miss for others (i.e. Han Yan)