Japan's Miyahara gains confidence | Golden Skate

Japan's Miyahara gains confidence

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Japan’s Satoko Miyahara, the 2015-16 figure skating season has thus far been packed and fruitful.

More

Being described by Coach Hamada as “the girl who always sits in the corner, so shy and quiet that no one can notice,” her shyness is something that Miyahara needs to fight.

“I don’t think I can change my personality, but when I skate, I try not to think that I am doing something in front of huge crowd,” she explained. “I am doing something that I like very much, and this way I can be more relaxed and bring out the best of me.”

The two-time and current Four Continents silver medalist also revealed that she is attending dance classes, including getting advice from a teacher from the Takarazuka Revue—an all-female musical theater troupe—in order to polish her presentation and how to connect with the audience.

“My Flamenco teacher told me that I need to demonstrate ‘hey, I am that good’ in my short program, but I feel I can only be 80 percent expressive as I should be in actual performance,” said Miyahara. “I need to try not to be shy and show more emotion—not only in training, but [off ice].”

Do you think she will break her "silver" streak at the 4CCs?

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
YES SHE WILL!!! If we consider the past performances of the ladies this season she is the one who can secure the gold medal. The other skater who might have a chance to steal the medal is Gracie. I am cheering for #TinyQueen, Rika, Shibsibs and Sui/Han!!!!

ioanna

Record Breaker
She rarely makes costly mistakes and her performances improve with every new competition. I hope she wins this 4CC and gets another medal at Worlds.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
she definitely has high chance for gold, i know i can depend on her being prepared and mentally strong (and thats such a good feeling , esp after watching my fave headcases being headcases :palmf:) but its probably gonna depend on Gracie, last year Gracie didnt do well but Satoko was injured too, hopefully this year she is healthy and show us yet another great performance,

And just in case;

She noted that she needs to fix her under-rotation problems and has been training hard to do so in preparation for the 2016 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, which will take place next week in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei.
:agree:

withwings

On the Ice
Miyahara Satoko has what makes her skating so special ( at least for me)- her humbleness ( in its best sense), lack of arrogance. There is a certain calmness and freedom in her skating. Though, I do not watch skating trough the prism of professional knowledge. I am a casual fan. Regarding emotions.... there are emotions ( even animals have emotions!) and there are FEELINGS. Feelings are deep and silent, and stays with us forever, because they come from our very heart. Emotions is a product of our our "mind games" and are rather noisy and short lived, and mostly- destructive. When a skater is technically strong and, consequently, ABLE skate with the feelings...that is truly an art; though it is based on the very strong technical skills.
I do not think, that Miyahara has to force herself to show emotions.... Let her radiate feelings from the deeply inside instead, let her to be herself.

andyjo24

Medalist
She is such a hard worker, and it definitely shows. I find myself rooting for her because of that.

Although I will never ever become a fan of her small jumps, her artistry is absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE her Un Sospiro FS. It is so pristine; she hits all the small nuances with great SS and interpretation.

I will never understand how Evgenia is getting higher PCS than Satoko.

randomfan

Record Breaker
She is such a hard worker, and it definitely shows. I find myself rooting for her because of that.

Although I will never ever become a fan of her small jumps, her artistry is absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE her Un Sospiro FS. It is so pristine; she hits all the small nuances with great SS and interpretation.

I will never understand how Evgenia is getting higher PCS than Satoko.

Ageeed! :) It's understandable why people don't like her jumps - believe me, I don't like them either :biggrin: (and it would be kind of weird if someone liked them anyway), but she still has the spins, the steps, the flexibility, the artistry, and the consistency - the jumps alone don't take away her lovely skating style. She is close to being a complete skater in the current field. There is still lots of room for improvement (jumps obviously), but what she is showing now is already spectacular.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't like her jumps but I don't think they're that terrible either. She has slowly but surely gotten rid of underrotation calls (her 2013 Jr Worlds protocols had underrotations on every single jump of hers, even though she performed a clean program) but she prerotates some of her jumps and a lot of people are bothered by that and think she should be punished. Punished how? She gets average GOEs for her jumps and the judges hold her down in PCS anyway. I don't think she should get negative GOEs because elevation isn't the only thing that defines a jump. Her jumps are all perfectly incorporated within the program, carefully hitting the musical nuances in the right places; she always goes for them between footwork and transitions and she always has a nice, tight posture in the air and a lovely running edge on the landings.

Anyway, the choreography of her programs matches the music, she mostly gets level 4s on her spins and step sequences, her body performs clear, beautiful movements and she has improved her projection to the audience. She can still work on her speed but overall she is very close to being the complete package. She is so consistent and beautiful on the ice that I don't mind her jumps. Do I think her jumps are an obvious flaw? Yes. Do I think she needs to improve them? Absolutely. Higher GOEs can make important changes on her overall scores. But I don't know why judges should punish her more than they already are - her GOEs are mostly between 0-1. But most importantly, the jumps don't hold me back from enjoying her gorgeous skating.

OniBan

Final Flight
I don't like her jumps but I don't think they're that terrible either. She has slowly but surely gotten rid of underrotation calls (her 2013 Jr Worlds protocols had underrotations on every single jump of hers, even though she performed a clean program) but she prerotates some of her jumps and a lot of people are bothered by that and think she should be punished. Punished how? She gets average GOEs for her jumps and the judges hold her down in PCS anyway. I don't think she should get negative GOEs because elevation isn't the only thing that defines a jump. Her jumps are all perfectly incorporated within the program, carefully hitting the musical nuances in the right places; she always goes for them between footwork and transitions and she always has a nice, tight posture in the air and a lovely running edge on the landings.

Anyway, the choreography of her programs matches the music, she mostly gets level 4s on her spins and step sequences, her body performs clear, beautiful movements and she has improved her projection to the audience. She can still work on her speed but overall she is very close to being the complete package. She is so consistent and beautiful on the ice that I don't mind her jumps. Do I think her jumps are an obvious flaw? Yes. Do I think she needs to improve them? Absolutely. Higher GOEs can make important changes on her overall scores. But I don't know why judges should punish her more than they already are - her GOEs are mostly between 0-1. But most importantly, the jumps don't hold me back from enjoying her gorgeous skating.

all this with a capital T

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Satoko - along Elena R. - is my current new favourite female skater (of course the Mao sentiment is still there, but I see Satoko as her great successor especially in terms of beautiful body lines, ballerina posture and amazing ability to interpret music on ice).

She's not perfect, but who is? Yes, her jumps are causing many discussion and are points of critic directed towards her, yes - she's tiny, not very statuesque, long-limbed like many top skaters, yes - she's not that expressive and 'loud' on ice.

But she's a proof that a hard work, persistency, consequence and good, supportive environment can give an improvement and make not only a great skater, but also a top contender she is now.

She really can capture the audience by her raw beauty of skating - those lines, continuity, ability to interpret and perform. For me her skating speaks volumes for me - she does not have to be the tallest one to get noticed. Due her immaculate work ethic and a strive to improve she became one of the best now - it's fantastic to see her get more expressive, more open and vibrant.

This season's programs are perfectly crafted for her - SP is definitely a step forward to get more self confidence and go beyond her shy personality. Hope this progress and success will continue for her with a peak at Worlds :cheer:

thoakun

Final Flight
Satoko is probably the most imperfect skaters out of the current crop: tiny, shy, no charisma. She can't win the genetic lottery and can't change her personality but she's a proof that an immaculate work ethics and a supportive coaching team can makes a great athlete and performer, especially considering that her improved performance skill is not gifted to her but the result of hard work the the strive to improve. Not everyone was a born rock star and it is very hard for shy people to break out of the shelves, especially when they are so young and easily distracted by unnecessary noises.

I think Satoko's ability to interpret and perform has improved tremendously since the presence of Yamato in her team. He seems to bring out the raw beauty of her skating and makes her become more confident in herself. It's surreal to be reminded that she's so mentally strong and humble for someone who hasn't celebrated her 18th birthday :hap10:.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I happen to think she is one of the skaters who is very close to perfection. How does one define "charisma"? Do all skaters have to be as extroverted as, say, Elena Radionova or Ashley Wagner? While Elena Radionova skates with her heart on her sleeve, it's easy to overlook her flaws - the hunched shoulders, especially obvious in her jumps, her tight landings, her frantic movements. Same as Ashley Wagner, whose skating skills are inferior to Satoko's. "Charisma" is a matter of taste. Shyness is Satoko's charisma. Her elegant lines, her beautiful posture, her ability to understand and perform the music and its nuances. Her body has the ability to express feelings just by its movements. I felt the subtle power in her "Miss Saigon" program just by looking into her eyes and watching her own and master the music with her tiny body; so much that the audience at the 2014 Skate Canada gave her a standing ovation and loud applause when she skated that program for the first time in the Grand Prix season.

Yamato Tamura has been teaching her since she was in the 2nd grade of primary school (see pic here). Satoko has improved her ability to project to the audience, not to interpret, with the help of a musical theater teacher and a flamenco teacher for her SP.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^ this, for me I find her shyness and quiet grace/elegance very appealing in times where being extravert on ice and presenting exaggerated face expression/arm movement is a new standard I feel (often, not always). She is very musical and it shows on ice - mixing it with presence and technique it is a full package indeed. Actually it is quite strange but Tiny Queen has quite commanding presence on ice for me despite her tiny frame:yay:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Good for her being more confident. For me, she looks like a very hardworking primary school student on ice; so when she plays sassy, it feels strange. She might be a Akiko Suzuki one day but I don't think it will be anytime soon. Being so tiny all the way, she may stay this way till her twenties; otherwise, her jumps will be the first to ago. (Well, may not be as quick as Serafima's).

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I love her consistency. It's proof that work ethic is just as important as talent. But her skating just doesn't do it for me. She doesn't skate with a lot of power and her jumps are small. This all goes to say, her string of silvers means the judges are awarding her for being clean, but are ready to give the gold to someone who is (i) clean and (ii) skates with authority.

I do think she's the favorite to win at 4CC, and I hope she does. But I think 4CC will be a test for Gracie Gold as well - was her nationals LP a sign that she has excised her demons or was it yet another in a long string of imploding SP-explosive LP competitions? If Gracie Gold skates clean in both the SP and LP, she will beat a clean Satoko.

Tyranid

Final Flight
The big problem with Miyahara is that judges don't punish her pre and underrotations. A lot of her landings are hooked save for the 2A. None of her jumps should be getting more than +1. I mean, Tuktamysheva somehow manages to get just a +1 for perfectly clean 3Lz and 2A with decent entries.

ioanna

Record Breaker
The big problem with Miyahara is that judges don't punish her pre and underrotations. A lot of her landings are hooked save for the 2A. None of her jumps should be getting more than +1. I mean, Tuktamysheva somehow manages to get just a +1 for perfectly clean 3Lz and 2A with decent entries.

Well, they do punish her underrotations and wrong edges (when they happen) and none of her jumps are getting more than +1 so what other punishment should she receive?

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Well, they do punish her underrotations and wrong edges and none of her jumps are getting more than +1 so what other punishment should she receive?

I want to bring up her GPF SP as an example. She pre-rotates more than others (some pre-r is inevitable) and its visible. Compare her lutz with this one. Her 3T and 3F landings were at least borderline ur with the 2A landing being clean and 3Lz being hooked. Now I know skaters get the benefit of the doubt sometimes BUT if you have a visible pre-rotation that shold add up to the borderline ur's so those ur's should be called more harshly. Basically, she rotates less degrees in the air than other skaters.

I'd give her 3Lz-3T< and 3F<. She should have AT LEAST one ur on either of the jumps even with the most generous caller.

Also: Communication 1944: poor take-off -1 to -2 GOE.

edit: it really helps to use .25 speed in youtube settings and pause/play clicking to see the point of contact with the ice.

Last edited: