Skating Moves You Don't Like? | Golden Skate

Skating Moves You Don't Like?

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Are there any skating skills you just don't like, no matter who does them? I thought of this the other night.

For me one of the biggest is that new spin position we've been seeing mostly thanks to the COP and having to have more position changes, where the skater bends over in kind of a straddled pike position and holds one leg. It doesn't matter who does it, it just looks so strange. And I'm not really into that Y-scale spin Julia Lipnitskaya does either. Every time I see that position I want to make a meme with a fire hydrant.

The other one that really gets me is one spiral position. I don't know the exact technical term but it's where they lean back and lift their leg up in front of them but not exactly straight. I know it's supposed to be elegant, but all I can think of is my mother telling me to sit like a lady when I was wearing a dress as a child!

And I don't completely hate twizzles, but I do feel like there aren't a lot of programs that really suit them. Most of the time I love footwork sequences, because I think they're great choreography segments, but so many times the twizzles are just set to the worst music possible. One minute you have a great character moment with footwork and the next it's "Hold on a moment while I spin around on one leg like a flamingo for a second. Okay, there we go, all done." I like them with Irish music, or else really spiraling quick music, but otherwise, no!

How about you guys? Any pet peeves out there?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Are there any skating skills you just don't like, no matter who does them? I thought of this the other night.

For me one of the biggest is that new spin position we've been seeing mostly thanks to the COP and having to have more position changes, where the skater bends over in kind of a straddled pike position and holds one leg. It doesn't matter who does it, it just looks so strange.

I dislike that spin position, too, done by any skater. I'm always :scratch2: about that one.

Alex D

Record Breaker
It´s not a real skating move, but more an element. I "hate" to see "stiff and interrupting" transitions. If you clearly see what´s next, if things are telegraphed or completely out of key music wise - I just don´t like it. ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Step sequences should have a pattern (as they still do in ice dance). If I want to watch coverage of the entire ice, there's always the Zamboni.

Which also takes less time than some of the skaters to complete its sequence.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Excessive use of the tano position in jumps. Maybe once or twice (in a long programme) is ok as it demonstrates a skill, but it gets repetitive and gimmicky and, for me, really, really irritating when done over and over. It's keeping me from enjoying Zhenia's programmes in any meaningful way and I think it's not going to do her any favours in the long term.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
"I" spin is 99% of the time ugly, especially when the skaters can't really do the "I" split.

petitebrie

On the Ice
For me one of the biggest is that new spin position we've been seeing mostly thanks to the COP and having to have more position changes, where the skater bends over in kind of a straddled pike position and holds one leg. It doesn't matter who does it, it just looks so strange.

Aha, the ‘butt spin’ (officially known as A-spin or pineapple spin(!) I think). Not a flattering position, there has been a lot of dismay about it on this forum.

The other one that really gets me is one spiral position. I don't know the exact technical term but it's where they lean back and lift their leg up in front of them but not exactly straight. I know it's supposed to be elegant, but all I can think of is my mother telling me to sit like a lady when I was wearing a dress as a child!

I don’t particularly like the fan spiral either, it just doesn’t look very elegant, even when the skater is known for great spiral positions in general.

I’m not a fan of bad Biellmanns. Some skaters are serial offenders. It shouldn’t slow your spin down considerably and it should have a nice teardrop shape, with a sufficiently flexible back. Sometimes a nice haircutter would be more effective and still get you a level 4. Moreover, working your back like that every day can lead to injuries.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Butt spins are the ultimate disservice to beautiful butts everywhere. They make me sad :sad21: those poor butts deserve better than that.

I don’t particularly like the fan spiral either
Oh that one you're talking about. I had to google that. I don't really like that one either. It often makes me think of some kind of Matrix style slowmo kung fu kick :unsure:

Kinga

Medalist
I have said this already before, but that is the right thread to repeat it: I strongly dislike mirror step sequences in pairs. Most of them look like a hot mess - partners end up doing something completely unrelated to each other and without relation to the music, contorting and flailing in their own world and giving me a headache. Most of those step sequences have nothing to do with unison and i cannot help but think that they are designed to hide something: either a weakness of one partner or unison problems when doing difficult turns.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I dislike any use of the "squat" position, whether as a quick choreo move (ugh, Gracie) or as a variation of a spread eagle.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I despise most of the "show your flexibility" spins. They don't look beautiful, and they show flexibility, not skating skill. This includes any type split position spin, the Biellmann, and any blade to head haircutter.

These are ugly, and do not show skating skill-they show flexibility.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I have said this already before, but that is the right thread to repeat it: I strongly dislike mirror step sequences in pairs. Most of them look like a hot mess - partners end up doing something completely unrelated to each other and without relation to the music, contorting and flailing in their own world and giving me a headache. Most of those step sequences have nothing to do with unison and i cannot help but think that they are designed to hide something: either a weakness of one partner or unison problems when doing difficult turns.

I love mirror steps! Maybe this is too progressive but IMO pair skating do only need really sychonized moves in spins and jumps. It is a pleasure when the partners do different moves without losing the theme and the connection to each other. P/T, S/Z and S/S did that great.

I really do not like tano-jumps. It looks childish.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Yes, I hate this. Buttspins don't bother me, but this does...a lot!

Some camel variations look terrible to me...like Yuna's :slink: A bad illusion spin is hard to watch, too.

Not elements per se, but there's all kinds of cheesy and superfluous choreography that bothers me...especially when you can see the skater going through the motions rather than selling it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
"I" spin is 99% of the time ugly, especially when the skaters can't really do the "I" split.

100% Correct!!!!!! It also tops my list as the Ugliest spin in skating. Barely beating out the "A", "Bar Stool", or "Butt Spin" for the Men. Miki Ando was such a great skater but her "I" spin was frightening along with her upper body during her spiral sequence. I loved this SP from 2007 until the last 2 seconds......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIxB-06MsQ

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Butt spins are the ultimate disservice to beautiful butts everywhere. They make me sad :sad21: those poor butts deserve better than that.

Oh that one you're talking about. I had to google that. I don't really like that one either. It often makes me think of some kind of Matrix style slowmo kung fu kick :unsure:

:laugh2:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Charlotte Spiral always bothered me especially the ones that Gracie and Ashley usually do. Either do a normal Michelle Kwan Spiral or bust tbh.

Also, not necessarily a move, but I dislike anyone doing a sloppy 3-1/2loop-3salchow. Always looked like they're tripping on the ice.

moriel

Record Breaker
hmmm i quickly remember those:

1. lack of unison in pairs. A major thing, totally ruins the performance for me =/

2. Any 3 jump combo with a 1/2loop in the middle. Totally looks like some stepout for about 95% of skaters.

3. Squatting (well, sometimes a Besti squat may be ok, but only when really really well done).

4. Twizzles. They are the same or almost the same for most dance couples, plain boring.

5. That weird rotation Evgenia does in his program, with one of her legs up.